Taxes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebagg28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone do their own taxes? If so, do you use turbotax or file them differently. Any advice would be great because I have never filed my own taxes.

Go NAVY!

Members don't see this ad.

Why are there nothing but pre-dents on the forums these days?

Does anyone do their own taxes? If so, do you use turbotax or file them differently. Any advice would be great because I have never filed my own taxes.

Go NAVY!

As long as you aren't a day trader, then doing your taxes with TurboTax is relatively easy. I have a fair amount of investments, but I don't continuously trade as some do. I just gather ALL tax documents, receipts, etc that are needed for taxes and within a few hours I have them done. Now, if you have never done them before, they might take you a little longer this first year. But overall, TurboTax takes you through everything step by step. I would recommend using one of the several reputable software companies instead of just doing them yourself. The first time I used it, I found deducations I didn't know I qualified for that I would have missed had I filed without the software.

Members don't see this ad :)

Go NAVY!

Most bases will have a free service where they will compute and file your taxes for you.

It is called VITA (don't remember what it stands for) - but it is the tax assistance office. They open up in February and run through April.

Other than that, there are a lot of online programs that will let you file for free.

Most bases will have a free service where they will compute and file your taxes for you.

It is called VITA (don't remember what it stands for) - but it is the tax assistance office. They open up in February and run through April.

Other than that, there are a lot of online programs that will let you file for free.

I was a VITA assistant one year for our command. I can tell you that I trust the TurboTax software more than I did the VITA people after learning how little they are trained.

I didn't know that the navy pays taxes having to read an article that 50% of US taxes go to the military. So how come they still pay taxes when are the ones who are receiving the benefits?

I didn't know that the navy pays taxes having to read an article that 50% of US taxes go to the military. So how come they still pay taxes when are the ones who are receiving the benefits?

Do you understand taxation at all? :sleep:

Wow.