TBR Biology Ch 2. #13

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajumobim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following compounds, when added to stored whole blood, BEST prevent clotting?
A) citrate B) glutamate C) succinate D) gamma-carboxyglutamate

It seems as though more positions in which Ca2+ can bind (chelate Ca2+) would promote clotting as opposed to preventing it. Ca2+ ions are important for blood clotting and the more negatively charged sites, the more Ca2+ can bind and thus the better the compound is for the formation of clotting. So, I would assume that the worst chelator would be the compound that would be the best at preventing clotting and the worst chelator would be glutamate since it has the least amount of negatively charged sites along with that interaction between the alpha-carboxyl group and the NH3+ group. Am I missing something here?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on my experience from work, the two keys anticoagulant are sodium citrade and EDTA. They bind to Ca to prevent coagulation cascade.

In term of this question, there's no way I'd know B,C, and D right off the bat. I'd assume you have to know this specific information.