1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Tbr cbt 1 (11)

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by PopeJoja, Aug 7, 2011.

1. PopeJoja

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    11. The addition of which compound to solution is BEST for making silver iodide soluble?

A. Ammonia B. Sodium thiosulfate C. Potassium cyanide D. Sodium sulfide
    C is the best answer.The complex ion of silver that is most soluble in water also enhances the solubility of silver iodide the most. From Table 1, we learn that silver cyanide makes the most soluble complex ion (the cyanide is a strong ligand). This narrows the choice down to potassium cyanide as the best compound for making silver iodide more soluble. The best answer is C.

Hi,
    I'm having trouble understanding why the cyanide is better at making the Ag cation. Is it because it's a better leaving group vs thiosulfate?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. docntrainin

Pre-Medical
    I think you are reading a little too much into the question. The passage told us that in order to enhance the solubility of a cation, we can form ligand complexes. The table then lists certain complexes with their Kf's. Silver cyanide has the highest Kf value and is therefore favored.

4. PopeJoja

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Oh I see. Thanks.