TBR freezing point depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meredith92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
#61 in chapter 7 of chemistry
If the Kf for water is 1.86 degrees/molal then the freezing point of flask #3 (4 grams of NaCl 100 g of water) is which of the following?
A -.12
B-.24
C -1.2
D -2.4

I correctly calculated the freezing point depression... which was (from the answer key)

deltaT = k x i x m = (1.86 °c/molal)2(0.67 molal) = 1.86 x 1.34°C > 1.86°C

But i dont understand the next part:

"The boiling point of the solution is the normal boiling point of the solvent (in this case 0 degrees) minus the freezing point depression value, calculated as 1.86. the freezing point of the solution is:
Tbp=Tnbp- delta T= 0-1.87 so Tbp<-1.86 degrees "

Did they make a mistake and did they mean "the freezing point of the solution is the normal freezing point of the solvent (0 degrees)..." this seems like a big error to make so i figured something was wrong with my thinking....

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, looks like a typo - they used the correct freezing point temp. There is no reason to involve the boiling point.

I got
Kb = - 2 x 1.86 x 0.70 = -2.6
They assumed that you are going to round the MW, because you cant use the calculator.

I got
Kb = - 2 x 1.86 x 0.70 = -2.6
They assumed that you are going to round the MW, because you cant use the calculator.
Sorry I dont understand your answer... 1.86 is the kf... How do you get kb from kf I've never heard of doing that.
Thanks!!