pfaction

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2010
WV
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I mean the obvious way would be H-O-CL...but they have it drawn H-Cl=O? Am I wrong here, Wikipedia says it's H-O-Cl?

Last edited:

SaintJude

Jan 4, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Kaplan (& I believe Princeton) gives good rule of thumb: When drawing lewis structure, least electronegative atom that can satisfy octet rule will be central atom

About the Ads

pfaction

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2010
WV
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Kaplan (& I believe Princeton) gives good rule of thumb: When drawing lewis structure, least electronegative atom that can satisfy octet rule will be central atom

The way it's pictured:

H-CL=O

O takes a negative 2, CL takes a positive 2. Then H takes a +1, Cl takes a -1. Overall the charge is 0, but holy **** this is just awkward compared to H-O-CL, where everything seems much more natural.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Podiatry
HOCl is all single bonds. If your image has a double bond it is an error. H3PO4 is a central P with three single bonds to OH groups and one double bond to an oxygen.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Podiatry
Until you get a good intuition about drawing these, do it the long way by counting valence electrons, drawing them out one at a time, then connecting them to form bonds.

pfaction

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2010
WV
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
No, I can draw them. TBR is just wrong. I'm posting a picture.

IDtRj.jpg

P question is in the middleish of the page.

Dasypus

Apr 25, 2011
Status (Visible)
HOCl is all single bonds. If your image has a double bond it is an error. H3PO4 is a central P with three single bonds to OH groups and one double bond to an oxygen.

This is exactly right about HOCl.

On the other hand, the confusion about the oxidation state of phosphorus in its acid is because sometimes posters have mentioned H3PO3 and sometimes H3PO4. The phosphorus acid with a +3 oxidation state is H3PO3, which is what it states in your passage. In phosphoric acid, H3PO4, P is +5, like you'd expect.

Dasypus

Apr 25, 2011
Status (Visible)
I really don't know who dreamed up that H-Cl=O monster in the picture. It would never exist like that. OCl-, the hypochlorite ion, exists as a single-bonded molecule with the negative charge on the oxygen. When H+ adds, it adds where the negative charge is, forming H-O-Cl.

This isn't to say that Cl never forms double bonds; but it only does rarely (and, from what I can tell, only when multiple oxygens are around to soak up some of the electron density).

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.