TBR online Mechanics : Ramp question

Started by hmania
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hmania

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I could only fit so much on the screen, but other relevant details are: mass of boat 5000kg, the coefficient of static friction 0.4.

I was thinking to use F= (coef. of static friction)mgsin. I thought since this force of friction counters that of tension of the F2. I am confused to why the explanation uses Cosine which corresponds to the normal force.


Help!🙁
 

Attachments

First you have to determine whether or not you have surpassed the maximum static friction (whether you have applied enough force in order to get the boat moving).

The maximum force of static friction = Normal force * meu(s)

In this case the normal force = mg cos theta.

So the maximum force of static friction = 5000 kg * 10 m/s^2 * 0.866 * .4 = > 10kN.

So because you have not applied a force greater than the maximum force of static friction, the frictional force will simply equal the applied force.