1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

TBR physics # 22

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by Sonyfan08, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Sonyfan08

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    [​IMG]

Can someone further explain this: The fluid heights depend upon the pressure below each column in the drainage tube. The pressure difference across the drainage tube depends upon the pressure at the reservoir end (which is due to weight of fluid) and the pressure at the exit.

When i see that diagram, I think of the height difference caused by the difference in pressure of the column and the reservoir...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. circulus vitios

7+ Year Member

It might help if your picture had the entire question in frame.

The atmosphere is pushing down on the open column. More atmospheric pressure means the fluid will rise up the column less. More pressure from a heavier fluid or more fluid in a taller reservoir means fluid will rise up the column. But since the fluid has the same mass density (I'm guessing), there won't be any difference as Pressure = Rho*g*h. I believe fluid velocity would increase with a less viscous fluid.