TBR Physics Section I Passage IV Question 25

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATMadness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
TBR Physics Section I Passage IV Question 25....

Why would you use the formula, Vy^2 = Voy^2 +2adeltaY, to compare deltaY and Voy^2??

Why not use another formula relating velocity and deltaY.... such as Y = Yo + VoyT +1/2AT^2??? And say that velocity and deltaY are linearly related??

I have to be missing something here?!

Also, can provide a simple explanation that explains the difference between simple projectile motion (passage I) and this slingshot example (passage IV)? Im not getting this!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

in answer to your first question, you can't use the second equation you stated because it would compare vo and deltay as a function of time. You aren't given any value for time in the passage or the stem so you can't use that equation to make the comparison.

Kind of an old thread, but didn't see the need to make a whole new thread.

Question:

Can someone explain to me why the answer is C? It seems odd to me that the maximum height of the projectile goes towards infinity as it approaches a certain Vo. Just trying to think about this intuitively, it seems wrong that an absolute Vo would yield an infinite h.

Maybe I am reading the question incorrectly, and "maximum height" is defined as the highest possible H attainable with this given set up and the Y axis isn't in meters, but actually in %.