TBR Physics Translational Motion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihavesomanyquestions

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Approximately how high above the ground is a spherical projectile nine seconds after it has been launched straight up with an initial velocity of 60 m/s?

A. 11.1 m
B. 44.4 m
C. 138.2
D 320.7

In the answer explanation they find the time it takes for the projectile to reach its apex, which is six seconds, for a total flight time of 12 seconds. From their they conclude that the height at 9 seconds is equal to the height at 3 seconds. How did they figure that out based on this information? I know it is used to make the calculation easier. Either using t=3 or t=9 you get the same answer of 135. If this were on the MCAT I would have thought that I did the problem wrong because the calculation is not among the answer choice.

The first time I did this calculation I got the answer wrong because I had the equation as y=vt + 1/2at^2 instead of y=vt - 1/2at^2. Can someone explain the negative sign to me? I know that it is due to gravity.

Members don't see this ad.

Velocity and acceleration are vectors. The acceleration points straight down and the velocity is straight up (initially) because it initially received a large force upward (force is gone once released).

v=at for free falling objects, but it was launched upward with a velocity of 60m/s so now we have v=vo-at (minus because opposite directions) and we have decided that the ground is the origin. Everything above it is positive and below negative.
It reaches the apex when v=0 and we can solve 0=60-at
60=10t
t=6 seconds to reach the apex

H is the same for t=3 or 9 because it is parabolic. From the apex we have symmetry so we can conclude that h is the same for t=3 or 9

y=-.5at^2+vot
180-5*3^2=135

Good luck studying!