TBR Physio - not thorough enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackcadillacs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know the general assumption for TBR is that it's way too detailed for bio, but as I'm studying, I'm getting the feeling that that's not really the case for the physiology sections? Seems like it's missing info that really should be present..

For example, I'm noticing that at the start of each section, it will give a list of "section goals" that we should know, but then it won't even mention some of those topics within the section - like in the "GI and Kidney" section, it says we should know the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, but does not even mention the words 'renin' or 'angiotensin' anywhere in the chapter. In the "Heart and Lung" section, it says we should know "the Bohr effect, respiratory/metabolic alkalosis/acidosis," but doesn't mention these words anywhere else in the chapter.

I haven't been doing all of the practice passages cause I wanna save some of them for closer to the MCAT, but is the expectation that we learn some of the info just by doing the practice Q's? I'm kinda annoyed because I don't see what the point is in spending $60 on a book if it doesn't even give you some of the basic info about topics it says you need to know, but then finds time to go into one-paragraph long detail about the symbiotic relationship b/w bacteria and cows. Really TBR?

Members don't see this ad.

So I know the general assumption for TBR is that it's way too detailed for bio, but as I'm studying, I'm getting the feeling that that's not really the case for the physiology sections? Seems like it's missing info that really should be present..

For example, I'm noticing that at the start of each section, it will give a list of "section goals" that we should know, but then it won't even mention some of those topics within the section - like in the "GI and Kidney" section, it says we should know the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, but does not even mention the words 'renin' or 'angiotensin' anywhere in the chapter. In the "Heart and Lung" section, it says we should know "the Bohr effect, respiratory/metabolic alkalosis/acidosis," but doesn't mention these words anywhere else in the chapter.

I haven't been doing all of the practice passages cause I wanna save some of them for closer to the MCAT, but is the expectation that we learn some of the info just by doing the practice Q's? I'm kinda annoyed because I don't see what the point is in spending $60 on a book if it doesn't even give you some of the basic info about topics it says you need to know, but then finds time to go into one-paragraph long detail about the symbiotic relationship b/w bacteria and cows. Really TBR?

I concur with your statements and it is totally true. I had to look on a physio website to get the grave details on each section. I never took Physio so I depended on TBR Bio to let me know what is going on. Sometimes, I read Mcat-review.org to get some sort of details. EK Bio is not detailed enough for my taste :(.

It's been a while since I went through the biology and organic books (wasn't what I taught), but I think that things that don't appear in the biology text often appear in the biology passages. The guy who was the main writer for biology figured that some of the text could serve as passage material.

If you are looking for a good supplement, try the Physiology Coloring Book. I know it doesn't sound like it'd be exactly what you need, but it's exactly what you need.

Angiotensin was in a passage in the Heart/Lung chapter of TBR. But that's BEFORE the GI/kidney chapter! This makes me uneasy.

I did my content review with Kaplan a few months ago, and it definitely talked about angiotensin-renin system. I think I'm going to switch over to Princeton Review Bio for content review but continue to use the TBR for passages, as so many have suggested on these forums.

The second part of TBR Bio was lookin too crazy for content review anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also suggest supplementing other materials like EK or a coloring book to TBR. It helps you round out your knowledge foundation. Good luck. :)

you probably wont get many physio questions anyways. The amount of physio you need to know for the mcat isnt really that much.