TBR Question again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonhosDaVida

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In order to reach a high note while singing what must occur

the tension in the vocal chords must increase
OR
the airflow speed must increase across the vocal chords

So I but the latter at first because of the equation f=nv/2L, so I thought increase in velocity would be an increase in frequency, and thus a higher singing note.

But the answer was the former.

How does tension relate to frequency? Does anyone have an equation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, SonhosDaVida--

Yes, f = v/(2L), but v is the velocity that the wave moves along the string (vocal chord). The relationship between velocity and tension is:
v = (T/u)^0.5
It is difficult to see equations typed out, so here is a graphic of the equations that link frequency to tension:
sdn.jpg

I hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @AdaptPrep. But how do I increase the speed of sound in the vocal chords? If the latter answer choice said, increase the airflow speed in the vocal chords, that would also result in a higher note while singing?

Thus the speed of sound across the vocal chords don't affect the frequency but the speed of sound WITHIN the vocal chords do?

As I explained in my post in your other thread, it's the difference between wave velocity vs airflow velocity but I don't think you are completely wrong to think that the 2nd answer is correct, it's just that this is one of those questions where there is a better answer. Vocal cords vibrate because of the airflow, and yes increasing airflow will increase the pitch because the increased airflow acts on the cords to make them vibrate faster, however if you are already at maximum airflow the only way to increase the pitch is to increase the tension on the cords. If you've ever watched someone tuning a guitar, you can see this happen, as you tighten the strings they'll vibrate faster (wave velocity increases) and the pitch increases.

Last edited: