tbr test 3 bio q 124

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2010premed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dysfunction of the respiratory epithelium is the primary determinant in the mortality of CF patients. Gene therapy has been proposed as a possible means to correct the pulmonary insufficiencies caused by CF. The transfer of normal CFTR cDNA to patients with CF could BEST be accomplished by:

A. removal of specific pulmonary epithelial cells for in vitro correction, followed by subsequent reimplantation into defective lung tissue.
B. oral administration in capsule form, allowing for slow release in the gastrointestinal tract.
C. use of a replication-deficient adenovirus that allows for gene transfer in vivo.
D. intravenous injections into the pulmonary artery, allowing for a direct distribution to the capillaries and cellular tissues of the lung

Ans: C
I feel like I got lucky here, how would you go about answering this q?

Members don't see this ad.

Dysfunction of the respiratory epithelium is the primary determinant in the mortality of CF patients. Gene therapy has been proposed as a possible means to correct the pulmonary insufficiencies caused by CF. The transfer of normal CFTR cDNA to patients with CF could BEST be accomplished by:

A. removal of specific pulmonary epithelial cells for in vitro correction, followed by subsequent reimplantation into defective lung tissue.
B. oral administration in capsule form, allowing for slow release in the gastrointestinal tract.
C. use of a replication-deficient adenovirus that allows for gene transfer in vivo.
D. intravenous injections into the pulmonary artery, allowing for a direct distribution to the capillaries and cellular tissues of the lung

Ans: C
I feel like I got lucky here, how would you go about answering this q?

choice A is incorrect because it's implausible. we have millions of cells and removal of them and then implanting them is crazy and it wouldn't cure the defective lung tissue either.
choice B is incorrect because we have pancreatic nucleases that would chew up DNA and it would never be able to get incorporated into a cell.
choice D is incorrect because the DNA would never be able to get into the cell and self-incorporate. it needs specific enzymes and such