TCD 2010 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krazyfish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering if there is anyone going to TCD this fall?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats. TCD students that I've met are pretty happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Theres a big chance I'm going to Trinity, if I dont get 4yr course acceptance from other Universities.

Can we pay the deposit at the bank on April 15 if the deadline is on 16, or do we have to pay it at least 3 days in advance for processing?...

I paid mine today and they said it should arrive in Ireland on Wednesday. You might be able to rush it or it might be quicker to pay on credit, not sure though.

Just curious, what made you decide to choose Trinity? Was it your first choice?

Well I've heard good things about Trinity but really, in the end it, was the only school to accept me so far. I had an interview at Limerick but decided Trinity was probably the better choice. Older school, widely recognised and in the middle of Dublin.

Well I've heard good things about Trinity but really, in the end it, was the only school to accept me so far. I had an interview at Limerick but decided Trinity was probably the better choice. Older school, widely recognised and in the middle of Dublin.

Similar to my thinking. I also have acceptance from Galway, but I can't seem to find much information about their curriculum and courses!

New Topic:

Housing situation? What is more common for 1st years? On-campus housing or apartment?

Well, I paid my deposit today (or at least sent the wire transfer). If you are paying by wire transfer get it done today bc they couldnt even guarantee that it would be there by friday (cross your fingers for me).

As compared to other schools, I'm going with Trinity hands down. I only applied to Galway besides Trinity and was accepted to both. When it comes down to it, reputation does matter. Especially since I plan on matching in the US, just people knowing that Trinity is the Oxford of Ireland will make a difference, but that's just MO.

Oh, and I was told by current Med Students at Trinity to Steer Clear of the halls! I'm taking that advice. I stayed at Trinity is a summer abroad... we had one of the "nicer" suites.... and it was NOT nice...

Oh, and I was told by current Med Students at Trinity to Steer Clear of the halls! I'm taking that advice. I stayed at Trinity is a summer abroad... we had one of the "nicer" suites.... and it was NOT nice...

Are you serious? I was thinking the residence halls would be more convenient, as I've never been to Ireland before! How expensive on average would it be to rent an apartment for one + all the utilities (internet, gas, electric, water).

Are you serious? I was thinking the residence halls would be more convenient, as I've never been to Ireland before! How expensive on average would it be to rent an apartment for one + all the utilities (internet, gas, electric, water).

I was also told that international students are only allowed housing at Trinity Hall which is an hour walk from campus. I'm getting a flat also, I've heard they go for something like 1200 euros for a two person place so 600 per person. Try daft.ie.

Members don't see this ad :)
An hour walk? No bus? Damn...
Are international students required to be in university housing?

I was also told that international students are only allowed housing at Trinity Hall which is an hour walk from campus. I'm getting a flat also, I've heard they go for something like 1200 euros for a two person place so 600 per person. Try daft.ie.

Um, NO! haha, I pretty much hated the halls and wont live there. The firealarm LITERALLY went off every day and the kitchen and showers were communal. There are nicer halls, but I dont know if they would be open to us, and I heard they are more expensive than flats... by ALOT! daft. ie is where I have perused, but remember the good flats go fast so just get an idea of how much they cost and the area. You do not want to be living in Dublin 15 (unless you have a vehicle). I'm sticking to the Dublin 1, 2 area. Maybe a bit further out, but it would depend on the place. Steer clear of temple bar area flats unless you like the loud music and parades going on underneath your flat at 2:30 am. I'm taking the advice of a current Triner (I'm not sure I like that term yet) and am flying over early to get a flat before I make the ultimate move. This is just my current thought process. Then again, I have no idea how much I can spend til loans go through anyways.

PS -- everyone on the Trinity Facebook page??? Its easier for me to check than SDN....

Cheers,
Charlotte

Um, NO! haha, I pretty much hated the halls and wont live there. The firealarm LITERALLY went off every day and the kitchen and showers were communal. There are nicer halls, but I dont know if they would be open to us, and I heard they are more expensive than flats... by ALOT! daft. ie is where I have perused, but remember the good flats go fast so just get an idea of how much they cost and the area. You do not want to be living in Dublin 15 (unless you have a vehicle). I'm sticking to the Dublin 1, 2 area. Maybe a bit further out, but it would depend on the place. Steer clear of temple bar area flats unless you like the loud music and parades going on underneath your flat at 2:30 am. I'm taking the advice of a current Triner (I'm not sure I like that term yet) and am flying over early to get a flat before I make the ultimate move. This is just my current thought process. Then again, I have no idea how much I can spend til loans go through anyways.

PS -- everyone on the Trinity Facebook page??? Its easier for me to check than SDN....

Cheers,
Charlotte

I've been checking those websites too, just to get an idea on prices and stuff. Do you know if most students stay North or South of TCD? Or if there are generally better flats in certain regions? What area is temple bar - I want to avoid that too! (sorry for all the questions!)

There are good places on both north and south side. A lot of med students rent places in Smithfield, IFSC, Rathmines, Ranelagh. If you get a place that requires a bus make sure it is a regular bus service or on the Luas or Dart lines. The National College of Ireland in IFSC lets out student accommodation to non NCI students.

I've been checking those websites too, just to get an idea on prices and stuff. Do you know if most students stay North or South of TCD? Or if there are generally better flats in certain regions? What area is temple bar - I want to avoid that too! (sorry for all the questions!)

I don't know a whole lot of TCD students, just my experience from studying there, and the few that I do know. North or South... even across on the river.... either way, as long as you are within a feasible distance. Or if you plan on having a car..... Well, consider me your new best friend! lol. Naturally, flats are nicer the farther you go.... that's what the saying, "location, location, location" tends to imply. But, from what I saw, the flats tend to be relatively nice.... then again I do live in New Orleans, lol! Temple Bar is this kind of clubby area with the "Temple Bar". Major touristy place but I really cant complain about it bc I do like it, lol! The area is just usually bumpin a lot at night. Its west and a little south of Trinity if my memory recollects. Then again, I really need to refresh on dublin maps!

On another note, Aren't there ANY Americans heading to TCD?
All you Canadians are going to have me talking funny, ey? LOOK it's started already!!!!!! :)

Cheers,
Charlotte

On another note, Aren't there ANY Americans heading to TCD?
All you Canadians are going to have me talking funny, ey? LOOK it's started already!!!!!! :)

Well New Orleans, I'm from San Francisco lol, and I'm probably not going to have a car. Well thanks for the info. Do you think contacting TCD housing and asking them help on apartment search would be beneficial? Its kind of useless looking for apartments now right? Because they get taken so quickly? I saw a really nice furnished one, but it was like 1800 euros -_-

Dont think the accommodation service is much use for places outside of College accommodation. The Students Union do have a service but they don't set it up until early September......offers for Irish students don't go out until August. You are probably better off sticking to daft.ie or myhome.ie.

Dont think the accommodation service is much use for places outside of College accommodation. The Students Union do have a service but they don't set it up until early September......offers for Irish students don't go out until August. You are probably better off sticking to daft.ie or myhome.ie.

Thanks my friend

Hi everyone,

I am starting dentistry at Trinity this September. Totally confused about where to live and looking to find someone to rent with. Anyone else in a similar predicament?!

Hello!

Anyone know of a thread for the incoming class of 2016? I am traveling from the U.S in September and would appreciate some tips on housing for the first year medical students. It appears that international students are encouraged to stay at Trinity Hall. Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Trinity Hall really isn't that bad... I didn't live there during my time at Trinity, but the suites are fairly nice and there are buses (although they can be packed in the mornings). I think now you can Luas (subway) ? but I'm not sure. Honestly, if you bike it's a pretty straight forward bike ride. When I lived in Dublin, I biked everywhere. None of my friends complained about fire alarms and really, Trinity Hall isn't as bad as the prevous poster complained about. But it won't be luxurious by American standards.

I also lived two years on campus, which was handy. Again, not luxurious but it did the job.

when I had apts, I lived in Christchuch and Islandbridge (near St. James's). smithfield is an up-and-coming place with plenty of medical people, but honestly... the north side can be a bit more crime-ridden than the south side, although there are definitely shady spots on the south side too.

What people could do is live in Halls their first year til you get a better lay of the land, then if you don't like Halls move out after your first year.

As a dedicated Northsider for all my time in Dublin, I like to think of it as 'full of personality' not "crime-ridden"

;)

Trinity Hall really isn't that bad... I didn't live there during my time at Trinity, but the suites are fairly nice and there are buses (although they can be packed in the mornings). I think now you can Luas (subway) ? but I'm not sure. Honestly, if you bike it's a pretty straight forward bike ride. When I lived in Dublin, I biked everywhere. None of my friends complained about fire alarms and really, Trinity Hall isn't as bad as the prevous poster complained about. But it won't be luxurious by American standards.

I also lived two years on campus, which was handy. Again, not luxurious but it did the job.

when I had apts, I lived in Christchuch and Islandbridge (near St. James's). smithfield is an up-and-coming place with plenty of medical people, but honestly... the north side can be a bit more crime-ridden than the south side, although there are definitely shady spots on the south side too.

What people could do is live in Halls their first year til you get a better lay of the land, then if you don't like Halls move out after your first year.

hehe ok :) in fairness, smithfield is getting better all the time and the ifsc is nice. Even when I was in christchurch, the little park attached to the apt. complex had to be closed because the addicts would sit there and shoot up the whole day.