TCMC vs PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laurenlee3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point I'm interested in neurology and primary care/geriatrics (which can obviously change). Prestige means nothing to me, but I do acknowledge the possibility of being more limited in residency with a DO. Just please hear me out and consider these personal factors:

Geisinger Commonwealth (formerly TCMC)
Pros
  • Curricular factors: Longitudinal rotations, Family Centered Experience
  • P/F grading
  • Associated with Geisinger; good opportunities for rotations

Cons
  • Location- Scranton/ rural northeast PA
  • Slightly more expensive (although cheaper living expenses)

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Pros
  • Holistic approach
  • Location- Philadelphia
  • Older, more established/ well-known
  • OMM (while I don't expect to ever use this in practice, I've heard so much praise for DO students having a better understanding of anatomy/performing a physical exam based on their OMM training)

Cons
  • Letter grades
  • DO stigma for residency
  • Possibly taking both USMLE and COMLEX?

Summary: TCMC has a great program that values a patient-centered approach and may be a more logical choice for getting decent residencies, however staying in Philidelphia is a huge draw for PCOM, and on a personal level I feel like I jive more with the students/faculty as well as the osteopathic training.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you want to do after graduating? What sort of long term career goals do you have?

As for location.
1. Med school is temporary, you will be spending an ungodly amount of time studying so does it matter if you are in a city or not?
2. Residency time , TCMC might help you get a residency in a better location even if you are going for something non competitive.
3. DO bias is real. Dont be the person that develops an interest in ENT in medical school only to realize you have already closed the door on that.

I would choose MD hands down.

inb4 DO MD flame war.

Last edited:
Your interests could change in a single day during third year. Life throws curveballs.

Every med school has the same location for the first two years: lecture halls and labs.

DO bias is real.

Go MD.

Edit: The only time DO>MD is 1) A significant difference in COA or 2) attending MD would cause you to uproot your family etc

Edit #2: Dunder-Mifflin is in Scranton

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your interests could change in a single day during third year. Life throws curveballs.

Every med school has the same location for the first two years: lecture halls and labs.

DO bias is real.

Go MD.

Edit: The only time DO>MD is 1) A significant difference in COA or 2) attending MD would cause you to uproot your family etc

Edit #2: Dunder-Mifflin is in Scranton

office.gif

Reactions: 1 users
I am going to go against the grain here and say PCOM.

Here is why:
Living in Philly is wonderful and seems like something you want, and PCOM has an excellent reputation. As soon as you mention med school, a lot of people around here immediately think of PCOM. Most of the doctors I go to (living in Philly) are graduates from PCOM (including an ENT). I think that if you work hard you will be successful as a DO, you will just have to overcome the stigma. If you feel you fit in better at PCOM and prefer the DO approach, then you may want to consider matriculating at PCOM. Don't just discount it because it is a DO school! Good luck making your decision!

(Disclaimer: I was admitted there, as well, and turned down an invite from TCMC because I personally would have preferred to matriculate at PCOM in the fall over TCMC. Have since withdrawn from PCOM.)

Reactions: 1 user
I am literally in the same position as you and I am currently freaking out over the non-refundable deposit due for PCOM...
I loved PCOM and the idea of being in Philly. I am not sure if you were at the brunch, but I really liked the people there (we didn't get as much time to socialize at GCSOM's accepted students day, so I can't comment on the people as much).
At this point... I think I am going to choose GSCOM because I do not know what specialty I will ultimately want to pursue, and I want to make sure I have the best chances of matching if I decide to do something like derm. Thats not to say that PCOM doesn't match into competitive specialties, I believe they do, but I have heard it is a little bit more difficult to do coming from a DO school.
If you'd like to message me and discuss the decision feel free! Good luck with your decision!

It's like $250.... thats about as good as DO deposits go.

Second deposit is $1500 and due on the 15th.

PCOM is a special DO program and many ppl on SDN do not understand the pros of it as compared to other DO schools. The school has been around for over a century in Philadelphia, and unlike many other DO programs MANY of the PCOM graduates stay in Philly to practice. So in that regard, the stigma is heavily reduced/ almost non-existant here compared to other places (someone matched from here to Plastic Surgery at UPenn and Radiation Oncology at Fox Chase in Temple, that should tell you something).

BUT, that's if you want to stay in Philly for residency. I'm from the west coast, and quite frankly me going to pcom vs another DO school won't give me any sort of edge.

So my opinion is if you want to stay in Philly or close proximity for residency it won't make much of a difference compared to TCMC, but if you are from out of the area and want to return home for residency then go to TCMC.

And as far as specialties go, PCOM has you covered. They have their own residencies in Neurosurgery, ortho, ENT, ophthalmology, plastic surgery fellowship, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Current MD1 and GCSOM who was in a similar predicament as you.

I chose GCSOM over PCOM for some of the reasons you mentioned, but despite Scranton being well, Scranton, if you're into the bar scene, there's enough to get by. There are 4-5 main bars in downtown that have a pretty good college scene since the U of Scranton is right next by. The environment is definitely family friendly and a pretty close knit community. The professors are always getting student input on classes (although things might not change for our class, it might for the ones to come) and everybody's very supportive here.

Also, I have a few friends at PCOM who chose the other end of this stick and have been telling me especially with the new Geisinger merger, that they regret choosing PCOM over GCSOM (once again, nothing against PCOM so inb4flamewar). If you have any q's, feel free to PM me!

Current MD1 and GCSOM who was in a similar predicament as you.

I chose GCSOM over PCOM for some of the reasons you mentioned, but despite Scranton being well, Scranton, if you're into the bar scene, there's enough to get by. There are 4-5 main bars in downtown that have a pretty good college scene since the U of Scranton is right next by. The environment is definitely family friendly and a pretty close knit community. The professors are always getting student input on classes (although things might not change for our class, it might for the ones to come) and everybody's very supportive here.

Also, I have a few friends at PCOM who chose the other end of this stick and have been telling me especially with the new Geisinger merger, that they regret choosing PCOM over GCSOM (once again, nothing against PCOM so inb4flamewar). If you have any q's, feel free to PM me!

It's true, I've heard rumors of PCOM losing Geisinger as a rotation site. Not sure if we lost them or we might, but if we do it'll really suck.

It's true, I've heard rumors of PCOM losing Geisinger as a rotation site. Not sure if we lost them or we might, but if we do it'll really suck.

Sadly that's true haha, PCOM and Temple are both losing their Geisinger rotation spots as they will be phased out within the next year or two

Sadly that's true haha, PCOM and Temple are both losing their Geisinger rotation spots as they will be phased out within the next year or two

Nooo!!!! :'((( We had about 30-40 students rotate there per year. I'm sure PCOM can muster something together but Geisinger is a great hospital.

One thing that makes me still happy at least is that some of Geisingers residencies have applied for Osteopathic Recognition with ACGME.

Do you know where else GCSOM students rotate at other than Geisinger?

My guess would be that if PCOM and Temple students are losing rotation sites at Geisinger, it's to make room for GCSOM students. Then PCOM at least should see where the GCSOM students rotated before and try to lock those sites in.

Last edited:
Nooo!!!! :'((( We had about 30-40 students rotate there per year. I'm sure PCOM can muster something together but Geisinger is a great hospital.

One thing that makes me still happy at least is that some of Geisingers residencies have applied for Osteopathic Recognition with ACGME.

My guess would be that if PCOM and Temple students are losing rotation sites at Geisinger, it's to make room for GCSOM students. Then PCOM at least should see where the GCSOM students rotated before and try to lock those sites in.

Theyve also rotated at Scranton hospitals and in the Susquehanna Health System (but theyre now owned by UPMC soo... idk. Drexel also sends students there). Also a hospital in Sayre, PA.

To OP, re-considering everything again I'd actually recommend to go to GCSOM as well. The only 2 reasons I'd choose PCOM over GCSOM is 1) If you have family nearby in Philadelphia you want to stay close to or 2) You really want to be in a large metropolitan city and enjoy the city life. It's a personal choice and as I would assume various individuals have chosen both sides.

Yeah, we primarily rotate through hospitals in Scranton and now the other Geisinger affiliates like Wyoming Valley in Wilkes Barre and Danville. I have a hunch we'll all be doing stuff through Geisinger exclusively but that's just my n=1 opinion on it. Also have a hospital in Sayre, which Sayre itself is a boring AF town, but I've heard really good things about the hospital from friends.