TCNJ-UMDNJ full tuition vs. HPME

Started by Bethany555
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bethany555

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used to have an account, but I forgot my password and the e-mail I used to create it. Oh well...

I am an incoming freshman next year from Cape May, NJ. I recently chose between two combined medical programs, TCNJ/Rutgers-UMDNJ [full tuition for 7 years] and Northwestern's HPME [no financial aid or scholarships].

I come from a middle-class family (150k-200k/yr). Though I don't know what specialty I want to be, I want to keep my options open to include ROAD specialties. I made my decision, and don't regret it but I wonder what others would have chosen.

So what would you have chosen and why? Feel free to answer whether you are a high school student, undergrad, med student, etc. I'll tell you what I chose in a few days 🙂
 
TCNJ-UMDNJ. You can get into any residency from any medical school. If you are smart enough to get into HPME, you can do well enough in medical school to get that integrated plastics residency at mass. gen.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can get into any residency from any medical school.

I agree. The statistics show this. My aunt literally went to the medical school that everyone puts in the lowest tier with the puerto rico schools, now she is chief resident in IM at a top 5 residency program.
 
TCNJ definitely. It's a really good school and you'll enjoy it.
 
I know nothing about either of these two schools, I'm from a small town in Nebraska..

But throughout my own experience with college financially and what my finances will be like in a couple years throughout medical school, I would definitly go with the full tuition.

From reading above posts the school seems to be really good and will get you where you're headed. I go to a small state school in Nebraska and have guaranteed acceptance to the University of Nebraska Medical Center.. I'm sure either of these schools are ten times better than mine.

However, I'd visit both of them and see where you feel more comfortable. A lot of people say finances shouldn't be a factor, but imo they are very VERY important! You wont be nearly as stressed if you don't have to worry about the money.

Good luck!