TCOM 3rd and 4th yr clinical rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

czanetti

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How close are the clinical rotations ie. Hospitals to the TCOM campus are we expected to do alot of traveling?

Members don't see this ad.

Most of them, if not all, can be done right here in town. They are at John Peter Smith Hospital (county hospital here), Plaza Hospital, Cooks Children Hospital, and Dallas Methodist.

Some of my friends in the class above me tell me that they are all pretty local. I'm not there yet, but I am sure looking forward to it""

TCOM200901

I'm currently a 4th year at TCOM and from what I remember about the core clinical rotations in third year, they are decided by a lottery system, with some students being assigned outside the DFW area (Peds and Surgery in Corpus, OB in Odessa, Psych in Terrel) for certain rotations. However, some students with families, etc can request to stay in the DFW area and this is usually honored -- I even had a friend who wanted to stay in Fort Worth because she didnt want to leave her cats for a month and she got all of her rotations locally! Even if you are assigned to an out of town rotation against your wishes, you can always switch with someone else; there are tons of people who prefer to do their third year rotations out of town. Generally though, if you are assigned to an out of town rotation, the school provides apartments. Hit me up if you have any other questions...

Members don't see this ad :)
TCOM is currently developing more outside-of-the-city core rotation sites. One of the main sites is going to be in Corpus, and some students will be spending their entire 3rd year out there. I know that they are also working on some sites with Texas Tech's Health Science Center, but I don't know if any of these sites have become mandatory yet. Like the last post stated, many students are able to switch with other students to stay in Fort Worth. If housing is taken care of by the school for those students who are sent out of town, then it is a much cheaper option for them to spend their 3rd year without housing expenses (especially if they don't have a family, or cats, back at home).

i read on the ranking of DO schoosl thread that TCOM was not ranked high because of its poor hospital affiliations during the 3rd and 4th year. is this true? commetns?

i read on the ranking of DO schoosl thread that TCOM was not ranked high because of its poor hospital affiliations during the 3rd and 4th year. is this true? commetns?

I would say were at the top of the list. We have John Peter Smith Hospital, a 500 bed county hospital, Dallas Methodist Hospital (another 500 beds), Plaza Medical Center (I think thats around 400 beds), Cooks Childrens Hospital (how many other DO schools have a full pediatric hospital), etc.. And these are all about 10 - 15 minutes away. Also I think we can do ER at Harris Methodist Hospital. There are some other sites as well. I don't know where you got your info, but our sites are great. As a first year, we got to round at Plaza, and it was terrific.
TCOM200901