TCOM, anyone else out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pmak67 said:
I hope to see you in July at TCOM though! Will you be introducing yourself as Dr. Z (kidding)?

It would be great if I could join you in July, but I don't know what to expect. I wouldn't be introducing myself as Dr.Z, but I should have my Ph.D by then so it could be Dr. something. I really couldn't care if people called me doctor anyways.

Members don't see this ad.

dr.z said:
It would be great if I could join you in July, but I don't know what to expect. I wouldn't be introducing myself as Dr.Z, but I should have my Ph.D by then so it could be Dr. something. I really couldn't care if people called me doctor anyways.

Yeah, I'm not one who's very interested in what I'm called either. Congrats on your PhD. When I interviewed at TCOM it didn't seem unusual for the folks I met to have more than one degree. I guess maybe that comes with the territory when considering "non-traditional" applicants. I have my MBA and have been in healthcare operations for over 10 years, so I'm fitting that non-trad def also.

I hope to see you in July!!! Best of luck.

anyone else get a postcard essentially saying to rank TCOM 1st in the match?

Members don't see this ad :)
today. i live in austin.

Canuck99 said:
Not a problem. Both my wife and I were wait listed, and at that time we were moving out of our apartment and had to make other living arrangments. when we were finally accepted it was too late because we had already settled somewhere no where near ft. worth. when applying to the post-bac program I also had one remaining class to take to get my Bio degree, which i would have had to take over the summer if i got accepted. when i got wait-listed i decided that i didnt want to waste one of my last summers so i opted to wait and take it in the fall, also assuming that i would not get off the wait list. sure enough we both got accepted but it was too late. we also decided that we did not want to go into debt before starting med school, so while on the wait list we had pretty much decided that if we did get accepted we would probably turn it down. another problem has been stated above. we did not want to work our asses off, get the 3.5, and possibly not get in. if we had been accepted right away, we more than likely would have done it. but i do not regret turning it down. hope that helps.

OMG I had exactly the same situation. They actually called me on the first day of orientation saying that I was accepted. I was in Lubbock by that time. What's funny is that my GPA and MCAT were higher than their averages. I suspect they did not take me b/c I have a kid. Anyway I'm in Texas Tech 2010 class so TCOM brainfart was for the best. :laugh:

ahrastar06 said:
Hello! I just wanted to say congratulations! I was one of the 4 that interviewed that day with you (haha very small group eh?) and just saw that you got accepted, thats great! I'm still trying to figure out who you are (well how you look like description), cause I definitely remember during some part of our interview day that you had 2 boys and liked talking about them! Well again congratulations, best wishes for the future.

Hi ahrastar06!!! It was indeed a small class that day, huh?! ha! I guess the anonymity is lost. I see that you have TAMU SOM '10 on your note - you won't be going to TCOM then eh? Or are you still considering?

I wish you all the best also. Oh, and on that interview day there was a guy from Utah and me (the other guy). Does that help you visualize the day any better?

Has anyone seen the USNewsweek rankings? From all the med schools in Texas #1 Baylor #2 Southwestern and #3 TCOM. Does that make TCOM the #1 Osteopathic school since it is the first one ranked? I applied this year and am waiting for match day. good luck to all.

you mean, tcom was ranked with only the tx schools?

I'm sorry maybe my post was confusing.... what I mean is that all med schools were ranked and when I was looking to see how all the texas schools ranked the only ones that made it to the top 50 were baylor, southwestern and tcom. The only osteopath schools that made it to the top 50 were tcom and another school... i don't recall... and tcom was ranked above the other school. check it out under rankings for primary care.

ac101ac said:
I'm sorry maybe my post was confusing.... what I mean is that all med schools were ranked and when I was looking to see how all the texas schools ranked the only ones that made it to the top 50 were baylor, southwestern and tcom. The only osteopath schools that made it to the top 50 were tcom and another school... i don't recall... and tcom was ranked above the other school. check it out under rankings for primary care.

MSUCOM is ranked a lot higher than TCOM. Also WVSOM makes the top 50. However, most people here don't care much about the rankings.

Members don't see this ad :)
dr.z said:
MSUCOM is ranked a lot higher than TCOM. Also WVSOM makes the top 50. However, most people here don't care much about the rankings.

The reason I was checking rankings is because I am trying to rank the schools myself and there are 2 schools that I feel really great about however I see that the other school was not ranked and TCOM was. They both have the type of atmos. that I am looking for. Anyway... good luck to you on match day (if you're from TX). :)

pmak67 said:
TCOM's #1!
TCOM is great. You guys will love it here!! Good luck on the Tx Match.

Back to studying!!

tcom200901 said:
TCOM is great. You guys will love it here!! Good luck on the Tx Match.

Back to studying!!

TCOM is one of my very top picks and I really hope I get in. I'm being really positive and just in case that I do match can you suggest any places where it is safe to live? If (a big IF) I do get in I may even end up buying a place. What part of town should I NOT live at? Thanks for your help.

ac101ac said:
TCOM is one of my very top picks and I really hope I get in. I'm being really positive and just in case that I do match can you suggest any places where it is safe to live? If (a big IF) I do get in I may even end up buying a place. What part of town should I NOT live at? Thanks for your help.
There are opportunities both near the campus, here in the cultural district, and over near TCU. The student serivces group will probably publish a website with housing opportunities for accepted students.

Good luck in the Match.

ac101ac you can check the housing section on the unt website. Theres alot of turnover around the summer months places close to school usually go very fast so just keep your eyes peeled. just curious why you would want to buy a place? Seems more like a hassle since med students are going to be mobile.

Theres new apartments being built on Modline which is about a block from campus, thats where I live too! Looks like they will be done pretty soon.

nrddct said:
ac101ac you can check the housing section on the unt website. Theres alot of turnover around the summer months places close to school usually go very fast so just keep your eyes peeled. just curious why you would want to buy a place? Seems more like a hassle since med students are going to be mobile.

Theres new apartments being built on Modline which is about a block from campus, thats where I live too! Looks like they will be done pretty soon.

Hey nrddct thanks for the info. So you live very close to TCOM. Do you go to TCU and did you apply to TCOM? Thanks for the info on the apts. I was thinking about buying a place more as an investment since I know that I wouldn't be living there long.

Ok I typed up a long response and for the third time, something went wrong with SDN?

to answer your question ac101ac, I'm at the graduate school at TCOM finishing up my masters. Heh, I guess its in my best interest to finish then. Its my third time interviewing at TCOM. I hope they're not tired of seeing me. :(

There are a couple of other developments going on such as the condos in the old montgomery ward building. The townhouses being built around school are fetching outrageous prices in the neighorhood of 200k+!! The justification is that its in the arts district (where the school is located at also). I don't see it. Most of the houses around the school are old and run-down. I think its gonna take more than a couple of years for the whole area around school to be beautified. In the meantime, it really annoying to not have any chain restaurants around here.

ac101ac said:

Safety isn't really an issue with housing near TCOM, price is the problem. Because the school is in such a nice area (cultural/historic district), the closer to campus the more expensive it becomes. The great side to this neighborhood is that many people rent garage apartments/cottages exclusively to the medical and grad students. Those who wanted to be within walking/biking distance to the campus were able to find what they wanted.

Try to attend the 'Spring Fing' event. It is usually in April (?) and there is a housing fair. Apartment representatives will be there as well as information from private individuals looking specifically to rent to UNTHSC students. It is also a great opportunity to meet current students who can give you more info on housing (in addition to meeting your future classmates). If you can't attend, don't worry. You will be able to check the school's site for housing.

http://students.hsc.unt.edu/housing/default.cfm

Hey thanks a lot for all the info. I've been searching online but I know the places always look very diff. on the net than they actually do. And I agree, the area around TCOM is great!!

nrrdct good luck I'm sure they are NOT tired of seeing you!! You know what they say about the third time.... lets hope it's a charm!!

Just to get an idea who here is still waiting for the match? how many of you out of staters are already accepted and will be attending? to everyone else GOOD LUCK! Like 16 or so more days to go. Hang in there.

ac101ac said:
Just to get an idea who here is still waiting for the match? how many of you out of staters are already accepted and will be attending? to everyone else GOOD LUCK! Like 16 or so more days to go. Hang in there.

I'm an out of stater who got in and plans to attend. Best of luck on the match. Only 14 days...

i'm waiting for match. in-stater from UT Austin who interviewed 2nd week in september. gl. :luck:

vipergts66 said:
i'm waiting for match. in-stater from UT Austin who interviewed 2nd week in september. gl. :luck:

Hi Vipergts66, are you also applying to dental school (i thought I saw your post on the dental site)? This wait is killing me. Let's hope Feb 1st brings good news.

I heard from a friend that the match is actually up a few hours before midnight...... anyone know if this is true?

ac101ac said:
I heard from a friend that the match is actually up a few hours before midnight...... anyone know if this is true?
If you live on the west coast. hehe

Are there any other out of state applicants who've been accepted to TCOM out there?

lanzarlaluna said:
If you live on the west coast. hehe
No hagas bromas!! That's what a friend of mine said so I was wondering if you guys had heard otherwise.... maybe they'll make us suffer and we will have to wait until the night of the 1st. AHHHHHHHHHHH :scared:

pmak67 said:
Are there any other out of state applicants who've been accepted to TCOM out there?

pmak67..... looks like you're the only lucky one.... do you know how hard it is for out of staters to get in..... it's near impossible. Can you give me your seat :D please??? I'll be nice to you.

ac101ac said:
Hi Vipergts66, are you also applying to dental school (i thought I saw your post on the dental site)? This wait is killing me. Let's hope Feb 1st brings good news.

ya i applied to med and dent.

pmak,

What were your stats like, if you don't mind me asking?

ac101ac said:
pmak67..... looks like you're the only lucky one.... do you know how hard it is for out of staters to get in..... it's near impossible. Can you give me your seat :D please??? I'll be nice to you.

see next post

ac101ac said:

Geez, either that or the others don't read SDN (is that even possible?!). I do know what the stats for non-residents getting in are and I've told them from the beginning that it was quite an honor to be awarded one of the 14 seats they have for non-Texans. I keep checking back with them every week to see if they've realized they had a mix up or something (kidding).

Hmm, giving you my seat... well, I guess I did make my choice to enter medicine based on my desire to help others... MEDICALLY. So, unless you have a medical ailment that requires the seat I'm sitting in, I'm going to have to refrain from giving it to you. (kidding, again - always kidding)

Feb. 1 is going to be a great day for you - I can feel it (not kidding!).

USCguy said:
pmak,

What were your stats like, if you don't mind me asking?

Hey, SCguy, no I don't mind you asking:

I'm 6'1", 205 lbs and probably run the 40 in about 4.8-5.0. I don't expect to be drafted in April though, the NFL apparently isn't interested in slow, moderately strong, 38 year old guys with only a partial left meniscus left. Go figure.

Now, if they want a future team doc...

pmak67 said:
Geez, either that or the others don't read SDN (is that even possible?!). I do know what the stats for non-residents getting in are and I've told them from the beginning that it was quite an honor to be awarded one of the 14 seats they have for non-Texans. I keep checking back with them every week to see if they've realized they had a mix up or something (kidding).

Hmm, giving you my seat... well, I guess I did make my choice to enter medicine based on my desire to help others... MEDICALLY. So, unless you have a medical ailment that requires the seat I'm sitting in, I'm going to have to refrain from giving it to you. (kidding, again - always kidding)

Feb. 1 is going to be a great day for you - I can feel it (not kidding!).

Thanks for wishing us good luck.... hope it all turns out great. I have a feeling that people aren't saying anything since most of us are waiting for Feb. 1st. From what I understand there are also some out of staters who are waiting for the match (something weird? ) Apparently they get another chance to compete with TX students. I love your joke... nice stats.

EVRYONE.... :confused: can someone tell me who exactly IS Joel Dabaub? Before my interviews he came out and started talking to me and another guy and we were talking forever making jokes..... I thought he was from tech support since he was talking about computers ... (I should have known better!!!). Then all of a sudden I get a letter from him in the mail and then GULP I read he is the director of admissions and outreach. I REALLY hope he does not think I was trying to brown nose.... I had no idea who he was. I only pray I didn't say anything inappropriate (highly unlikely)!!

Hello everyone!

I'm a current post bac kid who wants nothing more than to attend medical school. Anyhow, I noticed that a few posts were from people who are already accepted to in-state medical schools, one for Texas Tech '10 by a lady and one for A&M '10 from a gentleman. Did you get early admission?

Thank you and good luck everyone on the Match Day.

ILoveIceCream said:
Hello everyone!

I'm a current post bac kid who wants nothing more than to attend medical school. Anyhow, I noticed that a few posts were from people who are already accepted to in-state medical schools, one for Texas Tech '10 by a lady and one for A&M '10 from a gentleman. Did you get early admission?

Thank you and good luck everyone on the Match Day.

I think those people are out of staters who did or are doing a post bac here in TX. I'm not too sure. Well I wish you luck and I hope you get in. Are you applying this year?

ac101ac said:
I think those people are out of staters who did or are doing a post bac here in TX. I'm not too sure. Well I wish you luck and I hope you get in. Are you applying this year?

Starting this year out of state students were accepted prior to the match. They were admitted on rolling basis after Oct. 15 although not all of them were.

ac101ac said:

Yup, I am applying this year. I am in the current Post Bac class at TCOM. If you have any questions about it, ask me. As for the course load, it's not rocket science, but regular science classes that will test your ability to read and understand...same skills since kindergarden. But seriously, the professors are awesome and often available, the med students are usually fairly friendly (except the few who look down on everyone else), the other post bac students are typical students: gunners, sleepers, those who just want to get by, and those that keep to themselves. Overall a fun experience, but not as much fun as undergrad.

I also heard of this LMFU (last master file update) thing, anyone knows what it really does besides more speculations?

Good luck everyone. After seeing (and knowing) some of the people who got into medical schools, you realize that the hardest thing IS to get in.

ILoveIceCream said:
the med students are usually fairly friendly (except the few who look down on everyone else

I can't think of anyone in our class that isn't fairly friendly. Don't mistake stress/anxiety for unfriendliness. We have been getting slammed from the first minute we came back from the break, so if we aren't our normal perky-selves please forgive us. Actually feel free to join us for the post-exam celebration Monday night.

QUOTE "I also heard of this LMFU (last master file update) thing, anyone knows what it really does besides more speculations"

What is the LMFU? Is this for the post bac program? If I don't get into med school this year I may apply to the post bac thing. How many people from the program have already gotten in?

ac101ac said:
QUOTE "I also heard of this LMFU (last master file update) thing, anyone knows what it really does besides more speculations"

What is the LMFU? Is this for the post bac program? If I don't get into med school this year I may apply to the post bac thing. How many people from the program have already gotten in?

LMFU appears on the tmdsas website. If it changes after the 15th, you get matched to your first choice. This is what I gathered from texas interviews thread. Nothing has been proven though.

ac101ac said:

LMFU appears on the tmdsas website. If it changes after the 15th, you get matched to your first choice. This is what I gathered from texas interviews thread. Nothing has been proven though.

hyperbaric said:
I can't think of anyone in our class that isn't fairly friendly. Don't mistake stress/anxiety for unfriendliness. We have been getting slammed from the first minute we came back from the break, so if we aren't our normal perky-selves please forgive us. Actually feel free to join us for the post-exam celebration Monday night.
Sorry if my message was misunderstood. I wanted to say that the majority of students at the Health Science Center, Med students, PA…are wonderful, friendly and helpful. But there are a few who seem to behave condescendingly to post-bac students because we aren’t medical students. Thank you for the invite but we had the written exam on Tuesday. Maybe one day we can have a mixer for all the students! Good luck to everyone .

OK now I get the LMFU.... so what if it doesn't change??? I thought the only reason it would change was if you had taken a class and those grades needed to be added!

Hey Iloveicecream... good luck on match day... it's just around the corner. hopefully you'll get into tcom since you're in the post bac prgm.

Did anyone's LMFU change?

sj786 said:
Did anyone's LMFU change?

Mine did.... for 01/13/06... what about yours?

ac101ac said:
Mine did.... for 01/13/06... what about yours?

Mine also changed for 01/13/06.