TCOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm on the waitlist at TCOM....hopefully I'll hear something. *fingers crossed*

Members don't see this ad.

BSR1 said:
I ranked it 2nd out of 6 schools in Texas. I believe in what DO stands for, but mostly I liked the school itself...I felt "at home" there.

That's how I felt... it really stood out above the rest for what I want to get out of a medical career. :thumbup:

I'm from west houston... went to stratford

No anti-DO comments will be tolerated in this thread. However, if the members of this thread would like it moved to pre-osteo then I can do that. Let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
EvoDevo said:
No anti-DO comments will be tolerated in this thread. However, if the members of this thread would like it moved to pre-osteo then I can do that. Let me know.

I would be fine with moving this thread to the pre-osteo. Thanks.

I have to admit that TCOM has one wicked awesome gross anatomy lab. I was way impressed!

garrettww said:
I would be fine with moving this thread to the pre-osteo. Thanks.

so when are we moving? :confused:

so we are moved

Hey everyone, this may have been discussed before but I didn't see it so I'm going to post it again. My friend just recently got accepted to TCOM. We were talking about it last night, and she mentioned that she will be able to be a DO and an MD if she takes the USMLE along with the COMLEX. I wasn't sure if this is correct or not so I told her I'd try to ask and find out. Anyone know if you can get an MD from an osteopathic school? If so, do you just have to take the USMLE tests?

Thanks!
Emily

Ylime said:
Hey everyone, this may have been discussed before but I didn't see it so I'm going to post it again. My friend just recently got accepted to TCOM. We were talking about it last night, and she mentioned that she will be able to be a DO and an MD if she takes the USMLE along with the COMLEX. I wasn't sure if this is correct or not so I told her I'd try to ask and find out. Anyone know if you can get an MD from an osteopathic school? If so, do you just have to take the USMLE tests?

Thanks!
Emily

NO NO NO NO!!!!

If you go to an osteopathic medical school, you are a D.O. and you are REQUIRED to take the COMLEX.

However, if you choose to do an ALLOPATHIC residency after medical school as opposed to an OSTEOPATHIC residency then you will probably want to take the USMLE as well as the COMLEX since most but not all ALLOPATHIC residencies require the USMLE.

Keep in mind that a D.O. can do either an ALLOPATHIC or OSTEOPATHIC residency but an M.D. can only do an ALLOPATHIC residency.

Ylime said:

Thanks!
Emily

Only the DO degree can be conferred from an Osteopathic school. Writing the USMLE tests will only make her eligible for MD residencies (although I've heard some MD residencies will take your COMLEX scores if you haven't written the USMLEs).

The only way to get a MD degree is to attend an MD school.

I hope this helps.

Anyone know where I can get a first year class schedule? I'm curious to see what our schedule is like, how much time we spend in class, how much time we have left over each day for study, play etc.
Thanks!

papunjabi said:
Anyone know where I can get a first year class schedule? I'm curious to see what our schedule is like, how much time we spend in class, how much time we have left over each day for study, play etc.
Thanks!
If you check out class of 2008's website...there is a word file that has this years schedule....our's hasn't come out yet...but it will probably be about the same ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't find the exact schedule. Just courses in general.
Did you guys read about the absences from classes? We have to go to all of them. I feel like in high school agian. It is not like I want to skip all the time but just the thought I can would be nice. :mad:

ilona said:
I couldn't find the exact schedule. Just courses in general.
Did you guys read about the absences from classes? We have to go to all of them. I feel like in high school agian. It is not like I want to skip all the time but just the thought I can would be nice. :mad:
That's not true....some classes like anatomy lab and OMM we have to go to, but you don't HAVE to go to class all the time. Now, there are lectures online you can listen to. Check out Kim Higgins med school diary, she's a MS-2 at TCOM...It should help you out. :cool:
http://www.studentdoctor.net/diary/bio.asp?aID=30

BSR1 said:
That's not true....some classes like anatomy lab and OMM we have to go to, but you don't HAVE to go to class all the time. Now, there are lectures online you can listen to. Check out Kim Higgins med school diary, she's a MS-2 at TCOM...It should help you out. :cool:
http://www.studentdoctor.net/diary/bio.asp?aID=30

that is great! thanks for that link. I feel better :)

Glad I found this thread, I'd actually started another one and now I don't know whether or not it can be deleted. Congrats to all those who matched! Can't wait to meet you :)

Name: Venessa
College: Baylor University (5/2005 grad)
Major: Biology
Residence: Waco (in the residence halls as an RA)
For Fun: watching movies, playing guitar/violin, hanging with friends
Medical Interests: Pediatrics...for now

Name: Jason
College: Texas A&M, graduating 5/05
Major: Biomedical Engineering
Residence: Aggieland still
For Fun: golf, wakeboarding, movies, video games (yeah i'm a dork i know)
Medical Interest: Orthopedics and/or Sports Med, but only because I worked for an Ortho Implant company. I bet it will change in the next few years though.

:luck: Good luck to those who are matched up with TCOM. some advice; make sure you don't alienate yourself from the get-go. talk to others, and try to make AT LEAST one or two buddies... this will happen naturally, but i suggest to be proactive!! remember: i swear it doesn't matter where your grades place u in terms of class rank.......... unless you are wanting to do surgery or the like, you will be fine. try to learn what you can for learnings sake. and DO NOT get down. for any reason. i promise, U WILL BE FINE. :) :love:

WelchAg04 said:
Name: Jason
College: Texas A&M, graduating 5/05
Major: Biomedical Engineering
Residence: Aggieland still
For Fun: golf, wakeboarding, movies, video games (yeah i'm a dork i know)
Medical Interest: Orthopedics and/or Sports Med, but only because I worked for an Ortho Implant company. I bet it will change in the next few years though.
For you guys from Carrollton what high school did you go to?...I know some peeps from there..I can't wait till Spring Fling...everybody better show up....maybe we should put SDN on our name tags so we know who's who....wow...I'm such a dork! See you soon :D

BSR1 said:
For you guys from Carrollton what high school did you go to?...I know some peeps from there..I can't wait till Spring Fling...everybody better show up....maybe we should put SDN on our name tags so we know who's who....wow...I'm such a dork! See you soon :D

Hey BSR1! I went to Turner High School and graduated back in '00. Can't wait til Spring Fling..I think the dates are April 16-17 or something. See you all there :)

butrfly2204 said:
Hey BSR1! I went to Turner High School and graduated back in '00. Can't wait til Spring Fling..I think the dates are April 16-17 or something. See you all there :)

I haven't heard anything about spring fling..what is this all about? have yall gotten any more information, besides the acceptance letter? Thanks..Hookem

BSR1 said:

I graduated from Smith in 2000. Who do you know from Carrollton?

butrfly2204 said:
My Boyfriend Daniel Soteldo went to R L Turner....I robbed the cradle...he's class of 2001...what's your last name? I see if you knows you. The info about spring fling is on our class' message board :)

BSR1 said:
My Boyfriend Daniel Soteldo went to R L Turner....I robbed the cradle...he's class of 2001...what's your last name? I see if you knows you. The info about spring fling is on our class' message board :)

Last name is Martinez. I checked the message board and I got the dates wrong..it says April 15-16. :oops:

Do you guys thing that anyone in school would mind if I dyed my hair blue??? ;)

ilona said:
Do you guys thing that anyone in school would mind if I dyed my hair blue??? ;)

I don't think so but you may have to shave the letters 'T C O M' on one side for it to be completely acceptable :D

..My boyfriend and I might buy a new townhouse this weekend and its only 8 minutes from TCOM!!! This would be our first house so it's really exciting...It's a good thing he has a great job or I'd be living in my car for the next 4 years ;)If it's ready in time we should have a TCOM pre-party sometime. If anyone elso is looking for a townhouse check out www.ridgleaplace.com. They start at $159,000 and are right off Camp Bowie.
Best of luck!

BSR1 said:
..My boyfriend and I might buy a new townhouse this weekend and its only 8 minutes from TCOM!!! This would be our first house so it's really exciting...It's a good thing he has a great job or I'd be living in my car for the next 4 years ;)If it's ready in time we should have a TCOM pre-party sometime. If anyone elso is looking for a townhouse check out www.ridgleaplace.com. They start at $159,000 and are right off Camp Bowie.
Best of luck!

This is pretty expensive for my pocket... :( How big are these townhouses?

Why did this thread get so quiet? I am jelous of all other classes of 2009 that talk to each other ....and stuuuffff.... :(

ilona said:
This is pretty expensive for my pocket... :( How big are these townhouses?
They run anywhere from 1200-2020 square feet. They are expensive for just one person to pay for, but if you live with someone it's do-able. I'm trying to look at buying a place as an investment...at least I will get part if not all of my loan paid off when I sell....knock on wood. I just hate the idea of getting a loan, paying rent for 4 years and then never seeing that money again. I just found out we close right before Spring Fling...so at least I'll have a place to sleep that weekend :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

BSR1 said:
They run anywhere from 1200-2020 square feet. They are expensive for just one person to pay for, but if you live with someone it's do-able. I'm trying to look at buying a place as an investment...at least I will get part if not all of my loan paid off when I sell....knock on wood. I just hate the idea of getting a loan, paying rent for 4 years and then never seeing that money again. I just found out we close right before Spring Fling...so at least I'll have a place to sleep that weekend :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to seeing everyone soon!
When is Spring Fling? Is TCOM class of 2009 invited?

Hi all!,

I was just accepted to TUCOM class 2009 and I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Alisha I went to Michigan State University for undergrad, but I am originally from Santa Rosa CA (Go North CAL!)

I also want to know what is this spring fling thing?

Alisha09 said:
Hi all!,

I was just accepted to TUCOM class 2009 and I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Alisha I went to Michigan State University for undergrad, but I am originally from Santa Rosa CA (Go North CAL!)

I also want to know what is this spring fling thing?

Were you accepted to TUCOM (Touro University COM) or TCOM (Texas College of Osteopatic Medicine)??

Either way, Congrats!!!

Does anyone know since the osteopathic hospital is closed where are 3rd and 4th yrs doing their rotations?

He He, I noticed that after I posted the thread (That's what I get for messing around on the internet while at work). Thanks for replying though, and congrats to you also!

papunjabi said:
Does anyone know since the osteopathic hospital is closed where are 3rd and 4th yrs doing their rotations?
Most students are at JPS (county) while some are Baylor All Saints. The clinical experience is much improved b/c of this. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. Oh, and congrats!

Gibby Haynes said:
Most students are at JPS (county) while some are Baylor All Saints. The clinical experience is much improved b/c of this. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. Oh, and congrats!
Thanks! I can't wait for school to start(I am such a nerd). I have these few months off and I just can't get myself to relax, I keep thinking I should be reading up, I should be getting ready for med school. I live in Plano, and I heard that JPS is the equivalent of Parkland in Dallas...busy hospital! If so, that's great because we'll be exposed to all sorts of diseases.

papunjabi said:
Thanks! I can't wait for school to start(I am such a nerd).

I can't wait either!! This undergrad stuff sucks right now.

Has anyone gotten more info about Spring Fling... :confused:

Congrats to TCOM Class of 2009! Anyone going to make spring fling?

Name: Janet
College: University of Louisiana at Monroe
Major: Biology
From: Shreveport originally, the padres are now in East Texas
For Fun: anything outdoors, reading, SCUBA
Medical Interests: emergency, but I am keeping an open mind!

Iquitos said:
:sleep: :sleep: I am applying way late, but the admissions director said I still have a chance even though my application isn't quite complete. Hopefully I will see you guys this fall. I only applied to two schools due to some changes in circumstances. I wasn't planning on applying until June of 2005. The WSU micro department chair has a son at Touro NV. His son is having a great time down there, but added that it is a pretty tough school as is any other Medical School-no news there.

http://clubs.weber.edu/tropicalpatho/

Yes you are applying late. Why do you guys wait so long to apply??? I have never understood that one...
There is no way you will see any of these guys in the fall because they are going to UNTHSC-Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine.
I also think it is better to apply in June for the 2010 class, that way you will probably get more interviews and won't have to settle for a last minute medical school. You don't want to start in the Fall and feel like you somehow slipped into this years class. The competition can be rough and you don't want to have any sort of inferiority complex when you start this marathon. Good luck and never do a med school application half-ass. Just my 2cents

Yep, wrong thread Iquitos. How was your VR score?

j/k

There is no way in hell you'll get in a Texas school this late. Interviews have been over for a month now.

Hey guys! I'm really excited, hope to see everyone at Spring Fling!

Name: Annie
College: UT Austin
Major: neurobio
For Fun: anything having to do with Kevin, candy, or furry animals
Medical Interests: can't say for sure yet

Hey all...I am currently trying to decide between TCOM and another school and was hoping someone could help make an informed decision by answering some of my questions?

What is the grading system like (I know its the number scale with 70 passing) but is there a mandatory curve. Someone told me there is a bell curve which can be bad at time since it may force some to fail.

What is the academic attrition rate? (I’m assuming it low like most med school and actually when I interviewed one of the students said something like less that 5 from her class had to repeat)

Also I havent heard of TCOM having any summer programs before 1st year, but I’m just wandering if anyone has.

smellycat22 said:
Hey all...I am currently trying to decide between TCOM and another school and was hoping someone could help make an informed decision by answering some of my questions?

What is the grading system like (I know its the number scale with 70 passing) but is there a mandatory curve. Someone told me there is a bell curve which can be bad at time since it may force some to fail.

What is the academic attrition rate? (I’m assuming it low like most med school and actually when I interviewed one of the students said something like less that 5 from her class had to repeat)

Also I havent heard of TCOM having any summer programs before 1st year, but I’m just wandering if anyone has.

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/InfoCurrent.cfm

Blue Orchid said:

I was actually wandering about smellycats22 questions myself.

Maybe some current TCOM students can comments because I didnt find the link helpfull...

I was especially wandering about the grade curve, academic attrition rates and also if there was a summer program before first year. THanks...