TCOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WelchAg04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats everybody!!! Just thought I'd get us our OWN thread going. Hope to meet you all soon...

Members don't see this ad.

HEY ALL!! GOT INTO TCOM..LOOKIN FWD TO HAVIN YALL AS CLASSMATES...Hey Ag, Hookem, and lookin forward to having you as a colleague..Shoot me an [email protected]

Hi all,

TCOM was actually my first choice and I didn't make it. However, if we see a "No match" - does that mean that we're out of the game or waitlisted or what?

My app went in way late and wasn't all that stellar in the first place. I was just glad to be interviewing,period.

Members don't see this ad :)
WelchAg04 said:
Congrats everybody!!! Just thought I'd get us our OWN thread going. Hope to meet you all soon...

TCOM CLASS OF 09'....My 2nd choice! HOOKEM!

Congratulations all you new TCOMers :cool: Way to go!

DaveinDallas said:
Hi all,

TCOM was actually my first choice and I didn't make it. However, if we see a "No match" - does that mean that we're out of the game or waitlisted or what?

TCOM=my #1 too, but no match. :thumbdown:

I'm thankful for the interview, but highly disappointed in my results.

I think if you have not received a rejection letter, then your waitlisted . . . or will receive one shortly. Their entire interviewee list is numerically ranked, so when can we find out our waitlist ranking and chances of eventually getting accepted?

Waitlist movement is very slow and low probability :thumbdown:

Longhornanth said:
HEY ALL!! GOT INTO TCOM..LOOKIN FWD TO HAVIN YALL AS CLASSMATES...Hey Ag, Hookem, and lookin forward to having you as a colleague..Shoot me an [email protected]

Congrats dude. :luck:

cya around,

-tx

Hey future classmates! TCOM was my 4th choice, but I am incredibly happy to have gotten into this school regardless. Have any of you received an email from TCOM yet? :D

Hey Ag, Hookem

BSR1 said:
TCOM CLASS OF 09'....My 2nd choice! HOOKEM!

Uh oh...I already feel outnumbered!!! Haha! Looking forward to having you guys as classmates.

And of course the trash talking that will come around the week of Thanksgiving!!!

I just got off the phone with TCOM admissions.

The good thing is that I am on the waitlist. She could not however tell me what my rank on the list was or how many people they normally accepted off of the waitlist. Hmmm... sounds fishy. The other schools have no problems giving out numbers. She did tell me the number of spots given off the waitlist have decreased over the past few years. :rolleyes:

On behalf of the TCOM Class of 2008, I would like to congratulate all of you. I remember what it was like for me this time last year, and I know that this is a very exciting time for all of you, especially those of you that ranked TCOM first like I did.

Now go out and celebrate and really value the time you have between now and the start of Medical School. It'll get here sooner than you think.

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!

Now, Come Celebrate Your Acceptance And Meet Your New Classmates!!
We Are Meeting At Trudy's On 30th Street In Austin At 9pm Tonight

-

Last edited:
Hello all,
TCOM was my 3rd (out of 4) choice only because I didn't want to move. But I liked the school the most. So there are going to be 120 of us? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
To the matched: congrats to all on your acceptance at TCOM!

To the non-matched and the waitlisted...don't give up hope. There was movement very late in the game in my class (2007)--like the day before orientation started in late July for one of my classmates. I know it is frustrating that they don't give those numbers out. Just know that TCOM isn't the first choice for a number of folks (probably disproportionately so than for other schools because of the good old DO bias that still lingers), so if there is movement at another school, it will likely be reflected on TCOM's waitlist.

On the other hand, you do want to get on with your life and that's very understandable. I applied twice and after I didn't match the first time, I just resolved to move on and refocus my efforts pretty soon after I got the news. That worked for me. I knew I would get in when the time was right and when I was the right kind of person for whatever school was going to accept me.

Take a nice break, then buckle down and bring up those grades or MCAT scores and keep on truckin'. Believe me, this is a marathon, not a sprint. I know you are all anxious to get here, and you will. Hang in there.

Wait, what's TCOM?

ilona said:
Hello all,
TCOM was my 3rd (out of 4) choice only because I didn't want to move. But I liked the school the most. So there are going to be 120 of us? :)

Yeah I ranked it second because I'd rather be in Houston, but I like TCOM as a school a lot better, so I'm really glad I ended up matching here.

Now I just gotta make it 5 more months without accidentally telling anyone at work about my acceptance...

So when do we actually start classes? I want to take a month road trip after I quit my job and before I start school. I need to know when to quit. :cool:

topworm said:
Yeah I ranked it second because I'd rather be in Houston, but I like TCOM as a school a lot better, so I'm really glad I ended up matching here.

Now I just gotta make it 5 more months without accidentally telling anyone at work about my acceptance...

When I took my job last year I told them I will be leaving for med school so they are cool with me leaving. What would happen if they found out? :eek:

sophiejane said:
To the matched: congrats to all on your acceptance at TCOM!

To the non-matched and the waitlisted...don't give up hope. There was movement very late in the game in my class (2007)--like the day before orientation started in late July for one of my classmates. I know it is frustrating that they don't give those numbers out. Just know that TCOM isn't the first choice for a number of folks (probably disproportionately so than for other schools because of the good old DO bias that still lingers), so if there is movement at another school, it will likely be reflected on TCOM's waitlist.

On the other hand, you do want to get on with your life and that's very understandable. I applied twice and after I didn't match the first time, I just resolved to move on and refocus my efforts pretty soon after I got the news. That worked for me. I knew I would get in when the time was right and when I was the right kind of person for whatever school was going to accept me.

Take a nice break, then buckle down and bring up those grades or MCAT scores and keep on truckin'. Believe me, this is a marathon, not a sprint. I know you are all anxious to get here, and you will. Hang in there.

Are you saying you got in off the wait list? If so what were your scores if you don't mind sharing and how many people do you think got in off of it, and when did you find out? I am on the waitlist now and the suspence is already killing me.

Dr. Ditka said:
Are you saying you got in off the wait list? If so what were your scores if you don't mind sharing and how many people do you think got in off of it, and when did you find out? I am on the waitlist now and the suspence is already killing me.

No, I actually matched. But I know there were a decent number of people in my class who got in off the waitlist. I would venture to say there were 10-15 when all was said and done. Not sure numbers have a great deal to do with it at this point, but since you asked, I got a 24 on the MCAT (3.0 science GPA/3.7 overall) and matched, but I know people with MCATs in the 30s who were waitlisted at TCOM. That school is a bit of a wildcard when it comes to numbers, I think. I really clicked with my interviewers, though. I think that helped me a lot. It goes a long way at TCOM if they know you actually have an interest in being a DO, also.

Best of luck to you.

ilona said:
So when do we actually start classes? I want to take a month road trip after I quit my job and before I start school. I need to know when to quit. :cool:

You'll probably start around the first of August. Orientation is usually the last week in July. School goes through the end of June--may even be early July for you guys (they keep adding weeks to the school year). So, enjoy your free time while you have it.

They are making changes to the curriculum to include more self-study, though in the past it has been very heavy on lectures. As with any school, those are mostly optional. You have to go to lab (anatomy lasts the entire first year) and clinical medicine and OMM classes each week. Most people go to lecture here--the lecturers on the whole are quite good and it's worthwhile to be in class most of the time. They are doing some PBL but much less than UTMB. The curriculum is purely systems-based except for the first class of the year (cell science), so that means your anatomy, physiology, histology, etc. is all synched up in each system, along with OMM and clinical medicine. It's a good way to learn--most people really like it.

WelchAg04 said:
Uh oh...I already feel outnumbered!!! Haha! Looking forward to having you guys as classmates.

And of course the trash talking that will come around the week of Thanksgiving!!!

I predict only sobbing from t.u. fans on Thanksgiving 2005!!

Gig'em Ags!!!

I am so thrilled to be starting med school this year. I have a 28 on my MCAT and a 3.4 Science GPA, I was so disappointed when I got my scores in August. But I took a chance and applied anyways :) :luck:
My husband and I are going to start looking at places to live. We're probably gonna get a condo or a townhome. Current med students, any ideas on good areas close to school?
Looking fwd to meeting my new classmates!

papunjabi said:
I am so thrilled to be starting med school this year. I have a 28 on my MCAT and a 3.4 Science GPA, I was so disappointed when I got my scores in August. But I took a chance and applied anyways :) :luck:
My husband and I are going to start looking at places to live. We're probably gonna get a condo or a townhome. Current med students, any ideas on good areas close to school?

I would like to buy a condo as well, let me know if you find out anything. I had a 26 MCAT and a 3.8 from UT-austin. I'm just happy I'll never have to take the MCAT again! I just hope I can improve myself for the comlex and step 1...I just don't test well. I read the laptop requirements and it's seems like we need Windows...does anyone know if you can use a Mac?..I have a pretty new Powerbook that I would like to keep around if I can.

BSR1 said:
I would like to buy a condo as well, let me know if you find out anything. I had a 26 MCAT and a 3.8 from UT-austin. I'm just happy I'll never have to take the MCAT again! I just hope I can improve myself for the comlex and step 1...I just don't test well. I read the laptop requirements and it's seems like we need Windows...does anyone know if you can use a Mac?..I have a pretty new Powerbook that I would like to keep around if I can.

You can use a Mac--no problem. Lots of the 2008 people have Macs.

papunjabi said:

So you are married too! Cool. My husband and I will be looking for a condo or apartment too. I am just afraid that apartments won't allowed big dogs. I don't want it to be too expensive either. Where do you live now? I hate moving.

Does anyone know if the lecture notes are downloadable at TCOM? I'm looking into buying a tablet pc since it would be easier to take notes if the lectures were available online.

By the way, I don't know if anyone has checked but some useful info has been posted to the "New Students" section of the UNT website check out the link below:

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/newstudents/DOChecklist.cfm

:thumbup:

It's up guys....go to student's websites and our link is there :thumbup:

Congrats, guys. :)

I'm waitlisted. TCOM was my #1 (and only interview). I'm extremely disappointed. I applied DO/Ph.D; rejected Ph.D (which was weird; this is where I was strongest) and waitlisted DO. Ironically, I do research out there twice a week, and it breaks my heart to walk onto campus now.

I live here in Fort Worth; feel free to PM me with any questions, and I'm on campus, like I said, twice a day, and my best friend is class 2008, so I have lots of resources at my disposal, if you need anything.

-labrat

UNTlabrat said:
Congrats, guys. :)

I'm waitlisted. TCOM was my #1 (and only interview). I'm extremely disappointed. I applied DO/Ph.D; rejected Ph.D (which was weird; this is where I was strongest) and waitlisted DO. Ironically, I do research out there twice a week, and it breaks my heart to walk onto campus now.

I live here in Fort Worth; feel free to PM me with any questions, and I'm on campus, like I said, twice a day, and my best friend is class 2008, so I have lots of resources at my disposal, if you need anything.

-labrat

I feel your pain :( Best of luck to you :thumbup:

BTW, doesn't this thread belong in an Osteo forum?

OrthoFixation said:
I feel your pain :( Best of luck to you :thumbup:

BTW, doesn't this thread belong in an Osteo forum?

I'm sorry to hear that....I hope you get in off the waitlist...are you going to reapply?...maybe retake the mcat and apply early decision...sometimes I think the adcoms throw darts at a dartboard to make their decisions...don't give up :oops:

Everyone should introduce themselves...
Name: Blakely
College: UT-Austin-graduated Dec 2003
Major: Biology
Residence: I live in Dallas and work as a nanny
For Fun: I like to go out and dance at bars/clubs, I also enjoy horseback riding, shopping, and watching movies.
I have a great boyfriend here in Dallas of 2.5 years
Medical Interests: I'm interested in Derm, Ob/Gyn, and Psychiatry

:)

BSR1 said:
Everyone should introduce themselves...

Name: Anthony
College: UT-Austin-graduated May 2003
Residence: I live in Austin and work in a Micro Lab at Austin Regional Clinic
For Fun: Running, Longhorn Sports, Hangin out with the Yellow Lab, and my fiance who will be starting Physical Therapy School at UT Southwestern this summer
Medical Interests: I'm interested in Surgery, Ortho, and Family Prac.
HOOKEM

:)

Name: Garrett
College: University of North Texas in Denton, graduated May 2003
Major: Music Education, Instrumental
Residence: I live in Waco as my wife is a student at Baylor (graduates this May). I was a band director for a year; now I am finishing my last pre-requisites and working at a local pharmacy.
For Fun: Rock climbing, hiking, camping, snow skiing, and anything else that has to do with outdoors/wilderness
Medical Interests: I'm interested in opthamology, allergy/immunology, and every other specialty (for now :) ).

Put this DO thread where it belongs.

Name: Ryan
College: Trinity U. Graduated last May
Major: Computer Science
Residence: San Antonio, writing outpatient scheduling software for the veterans health administration! Very exciting, indeed...
For Fun: Basketball, songwriting, painting, making pizza
Medical Interests: Definitely won't know for sure till I've been through 'em all firsthand. I'm just glad I've had a year off with a "real" job, because I know med school is going to be extremely hard, but man, my job is unfulfilling!

topworm said:
Name: Ryan
College: Trinity U. Graduated last May
Residence: San Antonio, writing outpatient scheduling software for the veterans health administration! Very exciting, indeed...
For Fun: Basketball, songwriting, painting, making pizza
Medical Interests: Definitely won't know for sure till I've been through 'em all firsthand. I'm just glad I've had a year off with a "real" job, because I know med school is going to be extremely hard, but man, my job is unfulfilling!
Which part of Houston are you from? I went to Episcopal Highschool off 610 and Bellaire....and I grew up in Tanglewood around 610 and woodway...glad to see a fellow Houstonian! :)

MWillie said:
Put this DO thread where it belongs.

And how should we exactly do that????

Name: Ilona
College: Spring Arbor University (Michigan), graduated May 1999
Residence: Houston
For Fun: CLIMBING, guitar, salsa :D
Medical Interests: neurology, anesthesia

-

Last edited:
Name: Brian
College: Texas A&M University (will graduate 5/2005)
Major: Biomedical Science
Residence: College Station/Houston
For Fun: Hockey, movies, travel, cooking, reading, t.v., etc.
Medical Interests: Emergency Med but still open to other ideas...

:thumbup:

Name: Anita
College: University of MD(Class of Dec 2000)
Residence: Plano
For Fun: Playing with my dog, running, reading, watching funny movies.
Medical Interests: Emer med(love the versitality), cardiology...will probably end up changing.

Hello. Just wanted to give Congrats to all of you who matched at TCOM. Just to let you guys know...TCOM has started to take people off of the waitlist. They were my first choice but I matched to my second and am very happy with the results. I recieved a call today offering me a spot in the entering class of 2005 and am not going to accept the offer so hopefully one of you guys will get it. Good Luck :thumbup:

MedicoTre :thumbup:

MedicoTre said:
Hello. Just wanted to give Congrats to all of you who matched at TCOM. Just to let you guys know...TCOM has started to take people off of the waitlist. They were my first choice but I matched to my second and am very happy with the results. I recieved a call today offering me a spot in the entering class of 2005 and am not going to accept the offer so hopefully one of you guys will get it. Good Luck :thumbup:

MedicoTre :thumbup:

To which school did you match? Why the change in preference?

I find it weird that so many of yall are saying you want to do a specialty. Osteopathic care is geared toward primary care and over 60% of your class will end up that way. Craziness!

TexPre-Med said:
I find it weird that so many of yall are saying you want to do a specialty. Osteopathic care is geared toward primary care and over 60% of your class will end up that way. Craziness!

The percentage is more like 50% and that leaves HALF of the entire class in a specialty. BTW I find it "wierd" that DO's can and do go into every specialty and people still believe it's somehow "wierd".

Here's another "weird" tidbit for you, 60% of the campus population is female and there's like a bunch of people here who say that they are guys! WEIRD!! :laugh:

Why do poeple who want to down the D.O. profession spend their time reading 3 pages down in a thread congratulating all of these students achievements just to find something to bitch about. :rolleyes:

I congratulate you all and while I'm not in yet I hope to see you guys (and gals ;) ) on campus in a couple of years.

A M.D. is a doctor, a D.O. is a doctor, and there are lots of car salesman with a bachelors in Bio with pre-med pre-reqs. I don't know whether I'll end up an M.D. or a D.O. but I won't be selling cars :laugh: I'll be a DOCTOR!!

garrettww said:
To which school did you match? Why the change in preference?
I matched at Texas Tech. The week before our rankings were due it was hard to decide between the two. I really liked both schools and knew I would be just as happy at either. My parents live in Ferris so ended up ranking TCOM first to be closer to home. So when the Match came out I was excited regardless and felt since I was accepted there first I would choose to stay. Hopefully my spot at TCOM is going to someone who will enjoy the school just as much as I would have.

MedicoTre

JimmyMallo said:
The percentage is more like 50% and that leaves HALF of the entire class in a specialty. BTW I find it "wierd" that DO's can and do go into every specialty and people still believe it's somehow "wierd".

Here's another "weird" tidbit for you, 60% of the campus population is female and there's like a bunch of people here who say that they are guys! WEIRD!! :laugh:

Why do poeple who want to down the D.O. profession spend their time reading 3 pages down in a thread congratulating all of these students achievements just to find something to bitch about. :rolleyes:

I congratulate you all and while I'm not in yet I hope to see you guys (and gals ;) ) on campus in a couple of years.

A M.D. is a doctor, a D.O. is a doctor, and there are lots of car salesman with a bachelors in Bio with pre-med pre-reqs. I don't know whether I'll end up an M.D. or a D.O. but I won't be selling cars :laugh: I'll be a DOCTOR!!

WOW! When did I say a D.O. was not a doctor? Way confused here! Exactly where was I bitching? I am very excited for you that you are in to medical school. I was merely inquiring as to a statement a TCOM representative once told me: "Most of the students go into primary care." Sorry to throw you up on your high horse. If you knew where osteopathic medicine originated, you would know that primary care was the initial goal. I was just amazed at the number of competetive residencies this thread has stated. Nowhere did I say it was impossible. You have all my best wishes.

TexPre-Med said:
WOW! When did I say a D.O. was not a doctor? Way confused here! Exactly where was I bitching? I am very excited for you that you are in to medical school. I was merely inquiring as to a statement a TCOM representative once told me: "Most of the students go into primary care." Sorry to throw you up on your high horse. If you knew where osteopathic medicine originated, you would know that primary care was the initial goal. I was just amazed at the number of competetive residencies this thread has stated. Nowhere did I say it was impossible. You have all my best wishes.

I think people are just sensitive to the DO bias...the point is DO's are spreading into specialites..which is and should be expected. I wanted to go to TCOM and I ranked it 2nd out of 6 schools in Texas. I believe in what DO stands for, but mostly I liked the school itself...I felt "at home" there. Texas has 8 great schools and tons of residencies available...I don't know about other states but they don't discriminate here in Texas...So everyone should go for what they love to do...and if it's competetive then it's competitive, for no matter which Texas school you are at...just go for it and see what pans out :)