TCOM- early app question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roballan14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently read on TCOM's website that if you apply early and agree to only apply there, you can be granted early acceptance.

This seems like a huge gamble with two possible consequences 1) getting in early 2) losing a whole year if you don't get it.

Has anyone had experience with this opportunity at TCOM?

thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

roballan14 said:
I recently read on TCOM's website that if you apply early and agree to only apply there, you can be granted early acceptance.

This seems like a huge gamble with two possible consequences 1) getting in early 2) losing a whole year if you don't get it.

thanks,

By Sept 30 TCOM notifies you of their decision. If you are accepted then you have lots of time to plan. If you are rejected or rolled into the regular admissions group, then you are free to apply to other schools.

I chose this route and it worked well for me.

roballan14 said:

thanks,

TCOM is the hardest DO school to get into, by the way. I interviewed at M.D. schools in Texas, but I didn't even get an interview at TCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's funny. My only interview was TCOM and I didn't get any allopathic interviews in Texas. But I also took the August MCAT, fared marginally well on it but had pretty good grades.

Who knows--it's a mysterious process....

sophiejane said:
That's funny. My only interview was TCOM and I didn't get any allopathic interviews in Texas. But I also took the August MCAT, fared marginally well on it but had pretty good grades.

Who knows--it's a mysterious process....

Yeah, explain to me why I interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine, but not at TCOM.

answer: they draw names out of a hat

There are many reasons why people do and don't get interviews. I wouldn't assume that because you interviewed at Baylor and not at TCOM that it is a random process, nor should not getting a TCOM interview be seen as a personal insult to you. It is more likely that the sum total of your application-- for any number of reasons-- caught the attention of Baylor's admissions staff and not TCOM's.

Whatever. You weren't a good fit at Baylor but you were at OSU and you are now a happy camper (right?) and well on your way to doctor-hood. :)

OSUdoc08 said:
Yeah, explain to me why I interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine, but not at TCOM.

answer: they draw names out of a hat

Don't forget Baylor isn't part of TMDSAS, and TCOM has to admit 90% Texans. That's been the sad case for 6 of my out-of-state friends, they either got no TMDSAS interviews or had to re-apply 3 years to get them, no matter how well-qualified they were.

I could see how its all still drawn out of a hat... its just a question of whether you get nine entries or one entry into the "lotto"

topworm said:
Don't forget Baylor isn't part of TMDSAS, and TCOM has to admit 90% Texans. That's been the sad case for 6 of my out-of-state friends, they either got no TMDSAS interviews or had to re-apply 3 years to get them, no matter how well-qualified they were.

I could see how its all still drawn out of a hat... its just a question of whether you get nine entries or one entry into the "lotto"

I am a Texan, but I forgot one thing:

AMCAS & AACOMAS count plus grades on the GPA calculation.

TMDSAS does not. (Thus my grades were much lower on TMDSAS, since I had quite a few plus grades----all my X.5's dropped to X.0's)