TCOM for OOS Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How high do stats need to be for OOS applicants to get into TCOM? I have a 3.4/31 and feel like a super underdog for this school. :/

Members don't see this ad.

How high do stats need to be for OOS applicants to get into TCOM? I have a 3.4/31 and feel like a super underdog for this school. :/

I think tcom needs atleast 90 percent in state so I would agree with your assessment.

I think you have a fair shot.

Edit: If I was paying for TMDAS I might as well apply to the Texas MD schools as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely express interest to the head of admissions, make your name stand out from the pile of other oos applicants.

I think you have a fair shot.

Edit: If I was paying for TMDAS I might as well apply to the Texas MD schools as well.
Do you know if I can still add the M.D. schools? I already submitted my TMDSAS and completed the TCOM secondary. I just don't think I'm competitive at all for the MD schools. :/

Last edited:
Do you know if I can still add the M.D. schools? I already submitted my TMDSAS and completed the TCOM secondary. I just don't think I'm competitive at all for the MD schools. :/

If you are OOS I wouldn't bother applying to the Texas MD schools. Your stats don't help your cause for those schools either.

TCOM's stats aren't much different from the MD schools here in TX (and no grade replacement). That combined with 90% rule means it's probably not worth it.

I already applied to TCOM. Their average Mcat is 28 and mine is 31.

Your mcat is fine even for MD schools. But the OOS stats are significantly higher because everyone wants TCOM (cheap) tuition and they can be picky with out of state people. Their GPA is a 3.6 which is where you run into trouble. You certainly didn't waste your time applying but it's going to be tough. There were only 15/230 from out of state last year, and those people probably had good reasons for wanting to come to Texas.

Last edited:
You're mcat is fine even for MD schools. But the OOS stats are significantly higher because everyone wants TCOM (cheap) tuition and they can be picky with out of state people. Their GPA is a 3.6 which is where you run into trouble. You certainly didn't waste your time applying but it's going to be tough. There were only 15/230 from out of state last year, and those people probably had good reasons for wanting to come to Texas.
That's true. Oh well. Worth a try I guess. Id love to become a Texas resident. I hate California.

But if you've already applied, the money's already gone. Many of the Texas MD schools don't have a secondary fee associated with their secondary application. So other than the few bucks to add to your TMDSAS app, they're free to add. (At least this was true a few years ago.)

But if you've already applied, the money's already gone. Many of the Texas MD schools don't have a secondary fee associated with their secondary application. So other than the few bucks to add to your TMDSAS app, they're free to add. (At least this was true a few years ago.)

Yes I agree, and a few schools don't even have secondaries. I called/emailed (I don't remember) TMDSAS to add a school last cycle so it's no trouble to apply to the MD schools if you haven't yet, and won't cost you anything. Minus well do it.

The OOS for UT Southwestern recently had an average gpa of 3.85 and 35 MCAT. Not sure about the others but if I were you and had the time to put some good time in to essays, I'd throw my hat in the ring. We had some Texas adcoms come visit and they all mentioned trying to give a holistic approach to every app.

Members don't see this ad :)
is the 3.4 your TMDSAS cumulative GPA? Hows your sGPA from TMDSAS? It might be a bit difficult since you're OOS, but you've already applied so you just gotta wait it out.

The OOS for UT Southwestern recently had an average gpa of 3.85 and 35 MCAT. Not sure about the others but if I were you and had the time to put some good time in to essays, I'd throw my hat in the ring. We had some Texas adcoms come visit and they all mentioned trying to give a holistic approach to every app.
How do these stats help my case? I have a 3.32 cGPA and 3.40 sGPA and 31 Mcat

3.32 cGPA
3.40 sGPA
31 Mcat

Your MCAT is above the average for TCOM. Even though you your stats may be a bit lower than the average OOS applicant, its good that you applied, you never know. As a great man once said:

QjktyIm.jpg

How do these stats help my case? I have a 3.32 cGPA and 3.40 sGPA and 31 Mcat
They don't but UTSW has the highest stats of all the TMDSAS schools. The remainder are much lower. There are 6 schools you can apply to excluding Southwestern.

Your MCAT is above the average for TCOM. Even though you your stats may be a bit lower than the average OOS applicant, its good that you applied, you never know. As a great man once said:

QjktyIm.jpg

Gonna rewatch the office :D

Reactions: 1 user