Career changer; 1st time applicant

Started by roanic.m
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

roanic.m

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! I’m not very active in these threads, so I’m not fully sure what the typical benchmarks are. I’d really appreciate any feedback on my profile.

Brief History; Career changer from nursing to medicine.

Initially entered college intending to become a physician, but a lack of discipline led to academic struggles that forced me to step away from that goal. Through working as a CNA and later pursuing nursing, I rediscovered a sense of purpose in patient care and developed the discipline I once lacked, graduating at the top of my class.

After years of hands-on experience in oncology and hospice care, I started realizing I still want to become a doctor. I had multiple nudges toward medicine for years, but I kept brushing them off, telling myself I did not need to go further. However, the embers of wanting to become a physician continues to burn, and I know not pursuing it will continue to be my greatest regret, especially if I dont allow myself at least the chance to fuel this dream one more time. So with a big leap of faith, I have decided last fall to forge a path to medicine.

—————————————————

> Cumulative GPA: 3.55

> AACOMAS sGPA: 3.45

> AMCAS sGPA: 3.18

(Upward trend. Most Recent GPA; Nursing School GPA 3.91)

—————————————————

MCAT Practice Tests (so far):

502 (3/7) -> 502-> 505-> 508 (4/7)

Taking May 2nd

(Shooting for 510+ 🥺)

—————————————————

Clinical Experience:

> Hospice Field Nurse / Case Manager: 9,000+ hrs

> Hospice Admission Nurse: 1,000+ hrs

> Hospice On-Call Nurse: 3,400+ hrs

> Medical-Oncology Nurse: 3,600+ hrs

> Certified Nurse Assistant: 2,000+ hrs

> Low Estimate of Overtime RN Work: 1,000 hrs (likely way more but i cant prove how much. im obviously a workacaholic 🤯)

> Nursing School Rotations: 700 hrs

Total: ~21,000 hrs

RN: ~17,000 hrs

Note: Began career in nursing at start pandemic (April 2020). I was hired at a unit that became the COVID-designated unit. I was a brand new nurse in crisis conditions; Got thrown into high-acuity, emotionally intense care immediately. Learning medicine in uncertainty, fear, and rapidly changing protocols

—————————————————

Shadowing Hours:

> Rural/Community Medicine (2023): 16 hrs

> Inpatient Medicine (2025): 4 hrs

> Primary Care (2025-2026): 46 hrs

—————————————————

Clinical Volunteer Hours:

> Hospital One Day Surgery (2014): 40 hrs

> Pediatric Special Care Center (2013): 10 hrs

—————————————————

Non-Clinical Volunteer Hours:

> Food Pantry (Jan 2026-Present): 56 hrs

> Rural Health Outreach (Philippines / 2023): 8 hrs

—————————————————

Leadership:

> Lead Preceptor (2022 to Present): Precept and onboard new nurses and hires; developed structured onboarding curriculum and training materials. Support onboarding across multiple branches, including Chicago, Peoria, Naperville, Tinley Park, and Skokie, IL.

> Hospice Case Manager (2022 to Present): Lead an interdisciplinary care team (CNA, social worker, chaplain), coordinating patient-centered care and guiding team decision-making.

> Clinical Applications Super User (2022 to Present): Serve as a primary resource for clinical systems (EMR, e-prescribing, pharmacy platforms), providing training, troubleshooting, and workflow optimization support.

> Student Leadership: Valedictorian and Senior Class Speaker, representing the graduating class and selected to deliver commencement address.

> Vice President, Illinois Badminton Intercollegiate Sports Club (2013) — Organized and hosted large-scale tournaments (e.g., University of Illinois Open), coordinating logistics for ~200 players from across the Midwest.

—————————————————

Teaching/Mentoring:

> Precept Nurse Externs

> Skills Lab Teaching Assistant during nursing school: ~900 hours

—————————————————

Honors (All during nursing school):

> Valedictorian

> Summa Cum Laude

> Dean’s List

> Student Leadership Award

—————————————————

Research:

> Zero.

> Zilch.

> None

> Nada.

> Halp 😢

*Pre-reqs taken during my first undergrad, which I know are old, but I am applying to schools specifically that do not have expiration requirements for these courses.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your low amount of service orientation activities will impede your chances for success. You need 150 hours at submission of food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation or your file may be screened out (you have just over 50 hours of food pantry).

Schools usually average scores for screening. You need to do +10 on the MCAT to get some schools' attention because your trend hasn't significantly moved up. You must include DO programs.
 
Your low amount of service orientation activities will impede your chances for success. You need 150 hours at submission of food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation or your file may be screened out (you have just over 50 hours of food pantry).

Schools usually average scores for screening. You need to do +10 on the MCAT to get some schools' attention because your trend hasn't significantly moved up. You must include DO programs
Your low amount of service orientation activities will impede your chances for success. You need 150 hours at submission of food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation or your file may be screened out (you have just over 50 hours of food pantry).

Schools usually average scores for screening. You need to do +10 on the MCAT to get some schools' attention because your trend hasn't significantly moved up. You must include DO programs.

Appreciate the input. I agree my non-clinical volunteering is something I’m actively working on and will continue to do so even in the middle of the cycle.

Over the past few years, I was working two full-time nursing roles; a daytime case management position and a 7-on/7-off on-call role, which limited my ability to engage in structure non-clinical volunteering. During that time, however, I was providing continuous, high-acuity care to patients and families, particularly in hospice settings. I began my application and MCAT preparation last fall, and after stepping down to one role shortly after, I’ve since started community-based volunteering (food pantry, etc.) and plan to continue expanding that.

As for DO, I’m definitely applying broadly to both MD and DO programs. Given my background in nursing, especially hospice and patient-centered care, I actually feel very aligned with the osteopathic approach.

I’m hoping that, when viewed as a whole, my experiences reflect a different kind of trajectory compared to traditional applicants, particularly in terms of clinical depth, responsibility, and sustained patient care
 
Get a little more volunteering after the mcat. I’m a career changer too and I get it. But they really don’t care that you have a real job with real bills/responsibilities. They still want the stuff the 22 year olds who’ve never had a job have on their apps. Other than that, everything looks good. Research is good but won’t hurt you for DO schools not having it.

Also, everyone loves nurses who otherwise have an app together. At my first interview, we went around the room and everyone introduced themselves. The room literally applauded for the two nurses. Crickets when I said I was a CT tech 🤣. So that helps imo as a tie breaker against other applicants if nothing else.

Best of luck!
 
Get a little more volunteering after the mcat. I’m a career changer too and I get it. But they really don’t care that you have a real job with real bills/responsibilities. They still want the stuff the 22 year olds who’ve never had a job have on their apps. Other than that, everything looks good. Research is good but won’t hurt you for DO schools not having it.

Also, everyone loves nurses who otherwise have an app together. At my first interview, we went around the room and everyone introduced themselves. The room literally applauded for the two nurses. Crickets when I said I was a CT tech 🤣. So that helps imo as a tie breaker against other applicants if nothing else.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the encouraging response. I definitely plan to continue volunteering, and really intentionally pursue opportunities (including volunteering) that genuinely align with my interests and values
 
Post your MCAT score here when available and I will suggest schools. You would be competitive for some DO schools with a MCAT of 500+ and some MD schools with a MCAT of 508+.
Taking MCAT May 2nd;

Here is my prelim list. Mostly DO schools.
Live in Chicago area so hoping to stay here, but really realistic if I have to move.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6246.jpeg
    IMG_6246.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 89
I am an RN with similar stats who applied last cycle. At the time of my app, I think I had 100 recent volunteer hours. Definitely want to at least get there.
 
I am an RN with similar stats who applied last cycle. At the time of my app, I think I had 100 recent volunteer hours. Definitely want to at least get there.
How was the application for you? How much emphasis were there about your RN experience?