TCOM Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fajita22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone applying to the TCOM post bac?? Anyone want to shed some light on this schools post bac program. I submitted my application already and was wondering what people thought about this program. Thanks for the help in advance guys!

Members don't see this ad.

hey there fajita22! I just got accepted to the post bac program and have the same question, lol. I heard from Mike Kennedy that half the students got accepted into either D0 or MD programs when they applied.

Wondering what kind of courses I should take now to prepare?

Hey!
When did you get accepted? I am still waiting, they said they would be reviewing the applications today and getting back to us this week. As far as classes to prepare...I have no idea...I think I would just wait til you get there and relax til then because you will be stressed out upon entering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a call today.

Yeah, I'm kinda paranoid about not being prepared. This would be the best chance to get into med school so I dont want to screw it up. :p

Good luck to ya'll.

Did they call to let you know you were accepted? Or how did they go about telling you were accepted? Thanks.

yeah, they called to tell me my acceptance.

What else can you do with a post bacc certificate?

Did anyone else get a call saying they got in? Or did anyone get a letter?? I still havent heard anything.

hey are you talking about Touro University? do they have a post bacc

I think they're talking about Texas College of Ostheopathic Medicine.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I live here in Houston and that's the school we refer to as TCOM.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd post just in case. I went through the TCOM post-bacc last year & decided to stick around and finish my MS. I'll be starting at Tech or UTMB in the fall. If anybody has any questions about the post-bacc, fell free to post or send me a message.

How did you find out about the TCOM program? I am just beginning to research how to obtain my undergraduate science credits. On the AAMC page, the only programs that are listed in Texas are TCU and Lamar.
What made you decide against picking up the courses on your own at nearby state school like UTA or UTD?

Dr. Tex,
My situation was a bit unique. Following completion of my undergrad, I had to take a year and a half off and work which I did in the computer industry. Since my job was in IT & had nothing to do with healthcare, I had done nothing to make myself a better applicant for med school (and my undergrad GPA wasn't anything to write home about either) so I felt I should do a program rather than try to apply then.
Basically, I did an exhaustive web search for all graduate programs at Texas, I was especially interested in any that were given at any of the Texas med schools as those would give me an edge to get in at that particular school. The post-bacc program at TCOM ended up being my choice because: A) They were still accepting applications B) The program was only a year long C)If I made a 3.5 I was pretty much guaranteed a spot in TCOM's next class.
The program is very similar to what you would expect in your 1st year of med school, but a bit more Biochem heavy. You take a lot of Pharm, Phys, and even do a cadaver dissection with the medical students. It gives you an edge over every other incoming med student.
For you though, it sounds as if you're just trying to get your pre-reqs done, in which case, I would suggest TCU or UTA. The post-bacc program is rerally aimed more at the applicant who is lacking in an area. If your grades are good, but MCAT is below 26 or vice versa. I went from being a poor candidate to getting interviews everywhere I applied because of the program.
I hope this helps...

Anyone have a link to this program. I checked out TCOM's web page and can't find any info regarding it.

Thanks

Tooth

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably do UTA or UTD. I am still in Japan so I won't be enrolling until next year anyway.
I had already seen the program at UNT only I on the webpage it wasn't called TCOM. Definately not for me.
You said you got lots of interviews. Any thick envelopes yet?

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably do UTA or UTD. I am still in Japan so I won't be enrolling until next year anyway.
I had already seen the program at UNT only I on the webpage it wasn't called TCOM. Definately not for me.
You said you got lots of interviews. Any thick envelopes yet?