TCOM ROTATION YRS & RESIDENCIES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Texas_Sam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are 3rd and 4th year like at TCOM? Is it possible to actually live in Houston or Austin during the
3rd and 4th year or are there lectures that you need to attend?

Second topic, I was speaking with an official in the AOA and was told that Texas has the lowest
number of students entering Osteopathic Residency programs. Is there a specific reason why TCOM
students choose allopathic residencies over those in Ft. Worth and Corpus? It's pretty clear why you
wouldn't want to go to Dallas and Groves.

Thanks in advance for any input that I get on these two topics.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's not that much difference between all the DO school graduates (percentage going into MD residencies). The amount of DO residencies only equals to 38 percents of DO graduates so like it or not the 62 percents would have to go to an MD residency. That figure might be even smaller now that couple schools have increased their class sizes or requested to (also 3 new schools on the way).

HI Texas Sam :)

Ok, I dont know about 3rd and 4th year at TCOM aside from the fact that some things (like surgury) are usually done somewhere other than Ft. Worth (from what I hear, Dr. Blanck is trying to change that by getting an affiliation with JPS). However, I think I can venture a guess about why not that many people choose to do the osteopathic residencies, at least in Ft. Worth. Keep in mind, I am NOT an expert here, but I did work there for 2 years and I have a relative on the Board. Im assuming that most of the osteopathic residencies in Ft. Worth are based out of the osteopathic hospital. That hospital is HIDEOUS - I grew up literally 5 minutes from it and if anybody ever had any sort of emergency, no one even CONSIDERED going there as a possibility - they'd drive across town to go to Harris or Cooks or JPS first. I know the hosp. is also in deep financial trouble and may close soon. But like I said, this is just a guess and Im not an expert. Does anybody else know?

star