Teach for America before Medical School???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lulusmith

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have currently decided to apply next year (2014) and since I graduated now this leaves me with two whole years since I'd be starting medical school. I've been considering different options (EMT- taking a course and then hopefully getting a job) , Medical Assistant - if anyone would hire me, Clinical research co-ordinator job - again I don't know if I could get one etc...).

Then today I thought of applying though of applying to TFA (deadline = August 24th). So I want to know, what are your opinions of TFA? Would it look like a good experience for medical schools even though it's not clinical? And any other comments would be greatly appreciated? :)

Also on a side note, once one becomes an EMT how difficult is it to find a emergency ambulance job/emergency tech job (I'm in NY btw)?

Thank you soooooooo much!!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

TFA definitely looks good, I don't remember where I saw a post saying this but an adcom member on sdn (I believe it was LizzyM?) said that community service activities that stand out the most on applications are things like military service, peace corps and TFA so I believe it put's you in good shape.

However, please don't do it just for the sake of having it on an application, make sure it is something you actually want to do; TFA is like one year right? To spend that long doing something just for a resume will make you miserable and if you are not passionate about it, ADCOM's may be able to see through it.

And also I'm an EMT but I'm in nj so it might be different for you.. but if you are in a rural area like me, all the EMT's are mostly volunteer, to get a paid position you need experience and that goes for most ER tech job's as well they almost always want someone with experience. I have friends in newark/paterson nj as EMT's and they are paid but the jobs are really hard to get and they had connections and experience. I don't mean to discourage you because this is nj but you might need to ride as a volunteer for some time first.

Theres also jobs at hospitals that only require certification in BLS (basic life support) and you automatically get that when you are certified as an EMT (at least in nj) so you can look into those jobs as well.

Best of luck :luck::xf:

Hi,
I have currently decided to apply next year (2014) and since I graduated now this leaves me with two whole years since I'd be starting medical school. I've been considering different options (EMT- taking a course and then hopefully getting a job) , Medical Assistant - if anyone would hire me, Clinical research co-ordinator job - again I don't know if I could get one etc...).

Then today I thought of applying though of applying to TFA (deadline = August 24th). So I want to know, what are your opinions of TFA? Would it look like a good experience for medical schools even though it's not clinical? And any other comments would be greatly appreciated? :)

Also on a side note, once one becomes an EMT how difficult is it to find a emergency ambulance job/emergency tech job (I'm in NY btw)?

Thank you soooooooo much!!!! :D

Check these two threads out:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=936580
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888526

Having applied for TFA and then not getting accepted (thank goodness) I would only recommend doing it if you truly want to teach and serve these children. After my interview I questioned whether this was really for me and ultimately the rejection made that decision for me, but I do not think I would have accepted after doing more research into the program and how difficult it can really be for a lot of TFA members.

I would recommend looking for something else, especially since this seems to be a last minute thing.

TFA does look good but keep in mind that it is a 2 year experience (ordeal?) that includes a MA degree in education usually earned through evening classes while teaching kids all day long (so that gpa will follow you although it does not add to your science gpa).

The kids are not the easiest children to teach and it can be rough, even if you are teaching the youngest little darlings. The locations are often inner-city or super-rural. If that floats your boat, great. If not, do yourself, and the children, a favor and find something else.

I have interviewed applicants who were enrolled in TFA, I know 2 MDs who are TFA alumni, and I have a member of my extended family who completed her service not too long ago.