Teach For America???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dilemma:

I need to take time off between undergrad and D-school to finish up prereqs and earn money. I would like advice on my two possible options.

1.) Get a job.....any job... and work for a year and hope i get into D-school after that.

2.) Do Teach for America (2-yr commitment) which would look great on application.

I would just chose 1 but that would mean that i would need to cram all my requirements for my BBA and prereqs into my last 2 years. No fun doing upper level finance and orgo.

Option 2 would allow me to stretch out prereqs and focus on doing well. Con-I'll be a little older when i graduate/less money

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

wannabedr said:
Dilemma:

I need to take time off between undergrad and D-school to finish up prereqs and earn money. I would like advice on my two possible options.

1.) Get a job.....any job... and work for a year and hope i get into D-school after that.

2.) Do Teach for America (2-yr commitment) which would look great on application.

I would just chose 1 but that would mean that i would need to cram all my requirements for my BBA and prereqs into my last 2 years. No fun doing upper level finance and orgo.

Option 2 would allow me to stretch out prereqs and focus on doing well. Con-I'll be a little older when i graduate/less money

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? thanks.

u might want to talk to some people about TFA, they throw you in a really bad school with not a lot of training and release about 30 kids at your throat...also you have grad school classes to take.

wannabedr said:
Option 2 would allow me to stretch out prereqs and focus on doing well.

Don't be so sure about that. Taking on a Teach for America committment is serious business and you will be counted on to make teaching your life for two years. Not only will you be a teacher full-time, but Teach for America will also require you to attend various workshops throughout the school year in addition to the graduate education courses you will be taking as well, which could interfere with your dental prereq courses you may be attempting to take. By the way, have you considered that some of the prereq courses you will be taking may have labs that may only be offered during the day? I'm quite sure that the principal at the school you will be teaching at will not approve of you to leave your class during the day so that you can go be a student in an Organic Chem lab. Only do Teach for America if you are actually sincere and serious about teaching students and not only worried about how it will look on your application. Trust me, if you do Teach for America you will have almost zero time to take care of your prereqs.