Teaching Assistantships/PT School Debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sloc234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of PT schools that offer assistantships or some other way of working so that that can be the way you pay your tuition? In my searching I haven't seen any. Many PT schools cost a lot of money so that's a large amount of debt to incur. I don't really know the ins and outs of repaying debt so the idea of running up between 75-150k of debt after going to PT school is really scaring me. Anyone have any stories of what they did?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only familiar with the schools here in PA, but I know for sure that Gannon and Slippery Rock offer assistantships. Specifically, Slippery Rock only costs a total of $41k, and if you work an assistantship 17hr/week your tuition for that semester is fully covered. I believe they cap you at two years, but you could potentially (with no other aid) come out of school only $14k in debt.

Another option would be to try to land a job at the school you are going to attend, IF they have good employee education benefits. This varies greatly from one school to another, but it could save a decent amount in the end. You'd actually have a little income while in school too.
I've been a research tech at my #1 school for well over a year now, and it will save me a lot of debt... if only I get accepted.