teaching hospital with no birth control

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunset823

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I wasn't really sure where to put this. I'm an M2 and found out yesterday from a friend that our school's major teaching hospital (which is Catholic) does not allow birth control to be prescribed for, well, birth control. (It can be prescribed for gynecologic diseases, like endometriosis). I am pro-choice and very avidly pro-birth control, so I'm not really sure how to navigate this during my OB-GYN rotation. Do you just not bring up the topic with attendings? Can I request to rotate at another hospital in town that does prescribe birth control? I presume abortion is not even an option in the very conservative city I live in, and I don't really have strong feelings for that option, but I do have strong feelings about family planning.

I have no interest in pursuing OB-GYN, but I'm planning on making it my first rotation so I wanted to be prepared for this.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt you will encounter an OB-GYN who is not avidly pro-birth control and who doesn't have a realistic view of the importance of family planning. While the Catholic hospital may not allow certain things, the OB-GYNs will still offer those choices to their patients, they just may require them to visit a clinic not affiliated with the hospital.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I wasn't really sure where to put this. I'm an M2 and found out yesterday from a friend that our school's major teaching hospital (which is Catholic) does not allow birth control to be prescribed for, well, birth control. (It can be prescribed for gynecologic diseases, like endometriosis). I am pro-choice and very avidly pro-birth control, so I'm not really sure how to navigate this during my OB-GYN rotation. Do you just not bring up the topic with attendings? Can I request to rotate at another hospital in town that does prescribe birth control? I presume abortion is not even an option in the very conservative city I live in, and I don't really have strong feelings for that option, but I do have strong feelings about family planning.

I have no interest in pursuing OB-GYN, but I'm planning on making it my first rotation so I wanted to be prepared for this.
Thanks.

As a medical student this will not be an issue for you because you can't write prescriptions anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will find some attendings who are not in favor of hormonal birth control, but they are significantly outnumbered by those who routinely prescribe it. For residents at Catholic hospitals, they prescribe it for "dysmenorrhea." I would definitely bring it up if you want to learn about it, because it will almost certainly be on your shelf and on Step 2.

Hi everyone,

Thanks.

Birth control should be issue dealt with the family doctor. My attendings might be a bit miffed to waste time in clinic dispensing birth control.