teaching hospitals

Started by obiwan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Texas Medical Center

All the hospitals are so close together it might as well be one giant hospital.

Total beds: 6,500

If you are going to lump multiple hospitals together then there are actually quite a few hospital systems well above the 1594 listed in the prior post. Eg Mass General may have 898, but when you combine it with Brigham and the several other Harvard affiliates, the total is much bigger. Quite a few other systems similarly are underestimated by virtue of only looking at the single hospital totals.
 
If you are going to lump multiple hospitals together then there are actually quite a few hospital systems well above the 1594 listed in the prior post. Eg Mass General may have 898, but when you combine it with Brigham and the several other Harvard affiliates, the total is much bigger. Quite a few other systems similarly are underestimated by virtue of only looking at the single hospital totals.

True, My estimate would be that USUHS (Uniformed Services) would have the most total teaching beds of any school.
 
Agree. I guessed that St. Luke's was the biggest down there (900 or so?), but I wasn't sure if it was married to one of the med schools or not. Methodist is probably a similar size, but I didn't know how much of a focus on teaching they have with the Cornell/Baylor debacle.

I know its been a couple of years since it happened but what exactly happened with Baylor and Methodist Hospital?
 
I know its been a couple of years since it happened but what exactly happened with Baylor and Methodist Hospital?

From what I understand, Methodist got upset about Baylor building its own hospital and they ended up splitting. Baylor continues to lose some of its faculty to Methodist, but it hasn't really hurt them. The whole thing was blown way out of proportion and Baylor students still can do rotations and their preceptorships there.

The USUHS may have the largest number of total beds, but they are located throughout the world. The TMC hospitals are all within 4-5 blocks of each other. Thus, you have access to the 10,000+ beds with just a 15 min. walk, rather than a 3-15 hour flight
 
Can either Baylor or UT Houston really rotate through all those hospitals? Some of them are a bit off-access, right?
 
If you are going to lump multiple hospitals together then there are actually quite a few hospital systems well above the 1594 listed in the prior post. Eg Mass General may have 898, but when you combine it with Brigham and the several other Harvard affiliates, the total is much bigger. Quite a few other systems similarly are underestimated by virtue of only looking at the single hospital totals.

The harvard hospitals are on opposite sides of town. Thats no comparison to the behemoth TMC. Largest medical center in the world.
 
Can either Baylor or UT Houston really rotate through all those hospitals? Some of them are a bit off-access, right?
I believe that each school has ~4 different affiliate hospitals that students primarily rotate through. However, I believe that if you are interested in rotating at the other institutions that you can.
i.e. Baylor student rotates at MD Anderson which is a UT Houston affiliate.

Current students feel free to correct me. That is the gist I got at both interviews.
 
OHSU has 4 hospitals and an outpatient clinic that are all physically connected and within a couple hundred feet of the med school campus - don't know how you'd classify it, but it totals up to 975 beds and 13 stories of clinic.
 
UT-Houston lists its official teaching hospitals as Memorial Hermann, LBJ General Hospital (Harris County Hospital District), Texas Heart Institute, and UT County Psychiatric Center. I also know that as said before MD Anderson is a a UT associated school. I think Baylor's main teaching Hospital is Ben Taub (Harris County Hospital District).
 
Moving to Topics in Healthcare as some of the frequenters of that Forum may have a better idea of the answer to this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't see huge hospitals as something to brag about, or necessarily be excited about. My current institution is big enough that it takes a good 10 minutes to walk from the call room to one of the wards or the emergency department. It can take 20 minutes to get from the two farthest wards. It's a big hassle and very tiring. Getting X number of calls here at night is much worse than getting the same number at one of the smaller hospitals in town. I go to the smaller places for the ease of parking alone. That's why I'm mostly looking at smaller hospitals for my residency.