Teaching in an FP residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boxer1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a second year DO student, and I’m interested in eventually seeking a teaching position with an FP residency program. I’ll be planning out my 3rd year rotations soon, and I’m wondering if there any steps I can be taking now that will make me more marketable or prepare me better for a teaching position in a residency? Also, I know that there are teaching tracks linked to some FP residency programs, does anyone know what these entail? Are there any teaching tracks linked to osteopathic FP programs?
Thanks in advance for the input

Members don't see this ad.

I know that there are some allopathic post residency fellowships in residency faculty preparation. you could probably land one as a DO.
from www.aafp.org
Fellowship Programs in Faculty Development
University of Arizona (AHSC) Phoenix AZ
College or Medicine - AHSC Tucson AZ
Harbor UCLA Medical Center Harbor City CA
UCSF Medical Center San Francisco CA
University of Toronto Toronto, Ontario, MST 1W7 CN
Christiana Care Family Medicine Wilmington DE
Mayo Family Practice Residency Jacksonville FL
Department of Family & Preventive Med Atlanta GA
MacNeal Family Practice Residency Berwyn IL
Stroger Hospital of Cook County Chicago IL
UIC/Illinois Masonic FPR Chicago IL
University of Illinois Rockford IL
University of Kansas Medical Center Kansas City KS
Dept of family & Community Medicine Lexington KY
Lawrence FPR Lawrence MA
Primary Care Faculty Development East Lansing MI
Univ of Missouri Health Science Ctr Columbia MO
UNC Department of FM Chapel Hill NC
UNC Department of Family Medicine Chapel Hill NC
Duke University Medical Center Durham NC
Albany Medical College Albany NY
SUNY/Health Science Ctr at Brooklyn Brooklyn NY
Institute for Urban Family Health New York NY
Columbia - Presbyterian FPRP New York NY
SUNY Upstate Medical University Syracuse NY
St. Elizabeth Family Med Program Utica NY
University of Cincinnati COM Cincinnati OH
Lancaster General Hospital FPR Lancaster PA
University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh PA
Memorial Hospital of RI Pawtucket RI
Brown Medical School Pawtucket RI
Department of Family Medicine Charleston SC
FP Faculty Development Center Waco TX
University of Virginia Charlottesville VA
University of Washington Seattle WA
Madigan Army Medical Ctr Tacoma WA
Medical College of WI Milwaukee WI
Waukesha FPR Waukesha WI

Fellowship Directory | AAFP Home Page

Members don't see this ad :)
i was about to post the same list! :) also, i've been told by some RD (that i'm 'close' with) that even if you don't do a 'faculty development' fellowship, an OB fellowship will essentially GUARANTEE you a faculty position anywhere one is available (at least here on the east coast)...

just an FYI ;)

i'm actually weighing those two options myself. :laugh: i

f i do find that i LOVE ob more than i already do, it would be a great way to practice it since they (the school/program) wouold be paying the malpractice insurance :thumbup:

As a DO, it will also help you land a teaching position if you are boarded by both the allopathic and osteopathic boards. If you choose a dually accredited residency, you will be eligible to sit for both sets of boards.

And the hospital I am at for residency (UPMC St. Margaret in Pittsburgh) has faculty development fellows, and two of the incoming fellows are DO's.

DOtobe said:
As a DO, it will also help you land a teaching position if you are boarded by both the allopathic and osteopathic boards. If you choose a dually accredited residency, you will be eligible to sit for both sets of boards.

Thanks for all the responses so far. Another question for which I haven't found a good answer pertains to the dually accredited residencies. Is there a difference between an ACGME program that has its intern year accredited by the AOA, and one that has all three years accredited by the AOA? Can a DO who attends an ACGME program for which just the intern year is accredited by the AOA still be boarded in FP through both MD and DO boards?

Anyone have an answer to this last question?

I think all three years of the residency program need to be approved by the AOA in order for you to take the osteopathic boards.

DOtobe said:
I think all three years of the residency program need to be approved by the AOA in order for you to take the osteopathic boards.

From what i remember in residency, DOtobe is currect in that your program has to be approved by the AOA in order for you to take the DO boards. If you go to a dually approved program, most people opt to just take the MD or DO boards. A lot of my friends came from dually accredited programs (medicine, fp, anethesia, ob/gyn, pm&r, peds) and only took the MD boards from a variety of specialties. the one thing i would suggest is that if you do go to an MD/DO program and you are in an FP program, the one benefit of taking the DO boards is that your board certification is in family medicine & OMM. now lotsa OMM fellows and neuromuscular DO's will give you a hassle about the OMM part but that's what the ACOFP allows in their certification. i'm not sure i completely agree with it either but just so you know...you'll have that additional "board cert" behind your name. the other thing i can't remember is if the AMA/AOA only allows you to take one or both tests. none of my friends had any doubts about wanting to take the DO boards for their specialty b/c no one cared about the OMM section so they all took the MD boards. if u want, i can ask my buddies if they were only allowed to take one set of boards.