Team Based Learning Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeMD13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my school is implementing a band new curriculum and it is an all around hot mess for everyone. I am already below average in biochem and I've already failed the first two quizzes. I can't learn when everyone is talking at once and no one knows what they are even talking about. I really need some ideas for videos or something similar to sketchy but for biochem. I tried watching Najeeb but his are so slow paced and its hard to understand him on 2x. I just don't have time to supplement all of the assigned reading with him. Some of the Khan videos are helpful but they aren't as in depth as we are expected to be. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

"Let's memorize the Krebbs cycle together." Sounds painful.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I hear, most schools do a terrible job with TBL. It's turned more into the latest fad than something of any meaningful utility.

Just slog through it. When I took biochem eons back, I used Raymon's Kaplan videos and Lippincott's Biochem.

Reactions: 1 users
Try getting a grasp on the material before the workshop. We had weekly workshops and when I at least memorized the relevant enzymes and disorders I got more out of them. This is the only situation where memorizing before conceptually understanding things helped me. I got things down generously pretty easily in workshop after memorizing the important stuff. The other way around didn't work at all.

This sounds like a stupid idea though, good luck getting through it!

My school has cased-based learning and it's a huge mess. I'm glad we only have it for a few hours a week.

Reactions: 1 user
My school has cased-based learning and it's a huge mess. I'm glad we only have it for a few hours a week.

It's a couple of hours a week at my school too. Luckily everyone in my first group was mellow. We're supposed to act professional, look things up on PubMed / research databases, and think about what we would say to the family / clinical teams. In reality people just do keyword searches on Google/Wikipedia and find a few conditions that seem to match the symptoms provided. Then we all leave to come back next week.

We have TBL is our school and frankly is a more garbage version of PBL. You're not learning when you are with a 100+ people in one room. PBL at least has groups of 4-6 people. And the funny part is that our curriculum director hates PBL...

wow, that sounds just awful. no remedy but to study it on your own. as for the resources: najeeb is great, but a lot of people have the same problem. for me, Lecturio and Lippincott's Biochem were awesome (especially lecturio).