TeamHealth VS USACS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fox you are on Mt Rushmore of this forum.

Probably made the same mistake that I made.

/b/

Be me.
2012. Get outta residency. Finally.
330K+ of debt.
Saved nothing during residency, because life is short and complicated and residency salaries were laughable. 33k. 34k. 35k = Lolz.
Look for jobs.
Find a job that I think I like.
Its low acuity, because I'm sick of the level-1 trauma drama and paperwork that I had to tolerate during residency. Wasn't fun then, shouldn't be fun now. Losers.
Pays 175 an hour. EmCare doesn't seem so bad. After all, its an employed position, and they'll give me and wife-to-be health insurance. Insurance companies otherwise say that we're both "uninsurable" with my ulcerative colitis and my wifey's depression/anxiety. Seriously; that's where these evil insurers are at. ACA isn't a thing yet.
Big signing bonus.
Big signing bonus.
I need that signing bonus to have some small nest egg in case things go bad, because things have gone bad before.
Pack up girlfriend and cats and everything we can fit into two cars and drive from Ohio to Florida.
If it didn't fit, it didn't come.
Abandon furniture.
Sleep on floor of apartment for a few days, shop for mattress.
Start working.
Work seems easy. Pay seems fair. After all, I often slept from 6-8am or sat and sipped coffee.
First paycheck comes. Wifey was out when the check cleared.
Wifey comes home and finds me sitting in boxers on floor with sunglasses on and cigar in mouth. Looks at me confused.
I throw 5K in assorted bills (not the signing bonus, mind you; just an amount that I felt "safe" carrying out of the bank) in cash into the air.
Now I can afford furniture.
Job is job.
Jobbing.
Jobbers.
Job starts to suck.
EmCare does what EmCare does.
I learn the hard way.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Probably made the same mistake that I made.

/b/

Be me.
2012. Get outta residency. Finally.
330K+ of debt.
Saved nothing during residency, because life is short and complicated and residency salaries were laughable. 33k. 34k. 35k = Lolz.
Look for jobs.
Find a job that I think I like.
Its low acuity, because I'm sick of the level-1 trauma drama and paperwork that I had to tolerate during residency. Wasn't fun then, shouldn't be fun now. Losers.
Pays 175 an hour. EmCare doesn't seem so bad. After all, its an employed position, and they'll give me and wife-to-be health insurance. Insurance companies otherwise say that we're both "uninsurable" with my ulcerative colitis and my wifey's depression/anxiety. Seriously; that's where these evil insurers are at. ACA isn't a thing yet.
Big signing bonus.
Big signing bonus.
I need that signing bonus to have some small nest egg in case things go bad, because things have gone bad before.
Pack up girlfriend and cats and everything we can fit into two cars and drive from Ohio to Florida.
If it didn't fit, it didn't come.
Abandon furniture.
Sleep on floor of apartment for a few days, shop for mattress.
Start working.
Work seems easy. Pay seems fair. After all, I often slept from 6-8am or sat and sipped coffee.
First paycheck comes. Wifey was out when the check cleared.
Wifey comes home and finds me sitting in boxers on floor with sunglasses on and cigar in mouth. Looks at me confused.
I throw 5K in assorted bills (not the signing bonus, mind you; just an amount that I felt "safe" carrying out of the bank) in cash into the air.
Now I can afford furniture.
Job is job.
Jobbing.
Jobbers.
Job starts to suck.
EmCare does what EmCare does.
I learn the hard way.

You lost me at 330k of debt. How is this worth it to people? I don't think my medschool let people graduate with that much debt. I see the future of our profession, and it looks bad. Hope things are better now. I should also add that 175 in 2012 was way better than 160 in 2018.

Reactions: 1 user
You lost me at 330k of debt.

I think people make a big deal about debt when it's really not that bad. I personally have about 190k of debt, I don't think debt is that big an issue if a person makes good financial decisions. I've already done the math and plan to knock out my loans in 12 months from my first "real doctor" paycheck (roughly 16k a month of payments). After placing 55k into a Sep IRA, post taxes i'll have roughly 21-23k a month of income, pretty easy to get rid of loans with that. And the math here doesn't take into the account my spouse's income.

On a side note, I see people make terrible financial decisions all the time so I'm not surprised these people are willing to work at 160/hr. I have co residents who have upto 20k of CREDIT CARD DEBT. It's ridiculous. Can you really expect people who weren't financially savvy enough to not take loans at 25% APR to make good financial decisions. Or I guess, to some people, compensation isn't everything :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You lost me at 330k of debt. How is this worth it to people? I don't think my medschool let people graduate with that much debt. I see the future of our profession, and it looks bad. Hope things are better now. I should also add that 175 in 2012 was way better than 160 in 2018.

/b/ *rewind*

Be me.
20 years old.
University. Getting good grades. Being "good." Eating foods from cafeteria and being a good boi.
Science classes are easy, but agitating with their attendance demands and their quizzes that you fail if you're not there to take.
***Inappropriate content deleted by mod***I can read. Don't need you to read powerpoint slides to me. I'm faster than you ever were. Go read to your cats. They like you. I don't. Meow. Mrrow.
Polymerases are fun. Easier than that chick from Kappa Delta. Don't tell your buddy. Frameshift mutations makes sensei. HADOUKEN!
Immunology class is REAL HARD! Geez. That girl is really pretty and sassy. How is she in this class?! She's too pretty.
I am an assshole. Cool. Thirsty Thursday?
Capcom vs. SNK is the best game in 2003. Iori is my homeboy.
Fake ID? Nah. I'll get a real ID. I can beat this game.
Commit identity theft. Buddy is complicit. TWO Patrick Romanos? Pffft. Like THATS not a common name.
Easier than you'd actually think. Still have the ID... today, at age 37. Gamer Trophy.
Mission impossible? Tom Cruise is a joke. RustedFox FTW! I'm so smart !
The dude abides. WHITE RUSSIANS!
Dance-Dance-Revolution? Why not! Ha-Ha-Ha. Whiteboy! No more, thanks. I'm not proud of that.
Take classes like "Latin Folktales" because you don't have to show up and get an "A". Also... tacos, salsa, and chicks. Maaas chicas.
Working, because that's what you should do. Work is good.
Work a lot of jobs, because I can. Grades ? Pfft. I'm making money, now.
Money is nice. Pays for things like... Rent. Car insurance. Dates.
Lifeguard. Carpenter. Bartender.
Bartender?!
I drink already. This job is sweet!
Get laid more. Got my share. All done now, thanks.
Decide on med school, because I am good at sciences and like to help people. Noble. Sounds good. Kthxbye.
MCAT? Easy. Never met a standardized test that I couldn't "beat".
Boom. 35 is a nice number when the mouthbreathers that are getting in are scoring 29.
Nerds. Hahahaha ROFLCOPTR.
They're spending time stirring test tubes for FREE!
I'm slinging booze and getting paid.
What do you mean that admissions committees don't like me?
Why? Pffft. I have no idea ?! LULZ on me !
Seriously drove to VCU to have a gal on an adcom tell me that I was an arrogant jackass (friend of a friend of a friend), and that my personal statement was total poison.
I didn't even apply to VCU. How did I get a meeting with gal? Whiskey and friends.
Got drunk afterwards.
Go home to visit dear old dad. Go to see "family doc" that has taken care of me since I was old enough to locate my penis.
"Dude. Listen to me. You're too smart for adcoms. Don't waste a year. Saint George's University."
"Geez, Doctor Matt... you're a good doctor. After all; you've looked after my family for years."
"Go South, young man."
Eff yesss! Adventure! Island girls! Adventure island!
Sign here!
Thank you. Please drive thru.
300K in debt +/- whatever. I figured it was all good then.
6.5 years into attending life. I'm going to extinguish my debt on my birthday in January.
Stay tuned. I might post the video. By the way, married pretty girl from immunology class. She went on to play a critical role in the design of "Gardasil". She has quit designing ELISAs, and now designs our pastas and potroasts.

... but yeah, 300K sounded good at the time, homey.

Last edited by a moderator:
/b/ *rewind*

Be me.
20 years old.
University. Getting good grades. Being "good." Eating foods from cafeteria and being a good boi.
Science classes are easy, but agitating with their attendance demands and their quizzes that you fail if you're not there to take.
***Inappropriate content deleted by mod***I can read. Don't need you to read powerpoint slides to me. I'm faster than you ever were. Go read to your cats. They like you. I don't. Meow. Mrrow.
Polymerases are fun. Easier than that chick from Kappa Delta. Don't tell your buddy. Frameshift mutations makes sensei. HADOUKEN!
Immunology class is REAL HARD! Geez. That girl is really pretty and sassy. How is she in this class?! She's too pretty.
Commit identity theft. Buddy is complicit. TWO Patrick Romanos? Pffft. Like THATS not a common name.
Easier than you'd actually think. Still have the ID... today, at age 37. Gamer Trophy.
Dance-Dance-Revolution? Why not! Ha-Ha-Ha. Whiteboy! No more, thanks. I'm not proud of that.
Take classes like "Latin Folktales" because you don't have to show up and get an "A". Also... tacos, salsa, and chicks. Maaas chicas.
Bartender?!
Decide on med school, because I am good at sciences and like to help people. Noble. Sounds good. Kthxbye.
Boom. 35 is a nice number when the mouthbreathers that are getting in are scoring 29.
Seriously drove to VCU to have a gal on an adcom tell me that I was an arrogant jackass (friend of a friend of a friend), and that my personal statement was total poison.
I didn't even apply to VCU. How did I get a meeting with gal? Whiskey and friends.
Got drunk afterwards.
Go home to visit dear old dad. Go to see "family doc" that has taken care of me since I was old enough to locate my penis.
"Dude. Listen to me. You're too smart for adcoms. Don't waste a year. Saint George's University."
"Geez, Doctor Matt... you're a good doctor. After all; you've looked after my family for years."
"Go South, young man."
Eff yesss! Adventure! Island girls!
Sign here!
6.5 years into attending life. I'm going to extinguish my debt on my birthday in January.
Stay tuned. I might post the video. By the way, married pretty girl from immunology class. She went on to play a critical role in the design of "Gardasil". She has quit designing ELISAs, and now designs our pastas and potroasts.

I smell whiskey

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Whisky? Cask Strength.

I know Foxy IRL. I've even worked with him.
This is actually pretty much just him...

Reactions: 2 users
I remember getting my 1st job 20 yrs ago. Before you can spend 5 min on the internet figuring out if the job was fairly paid. Didn't know what pph was good or bad. CMG barely existed, mostly SDGs.
The pay promised as a nonpartner seemed about standard. 1st job, in a city I wanted to be.
Promised about 250K/yr and told I was paid twice a month.

1st check came in at 8K pretaxed. Hmmmmm, seems kind of light and not really what I was promised. 8x26= 208K. Mixed feelings. This kind of sucks but man this is more money than I ever had in the bank. Overall happy.
2nd Check came in at 16K pretaxed. wow..... what happened there. No one told me 1st check was just a standard low amount b/c 2nd reflect the work/RVU achieved. WOWOWOWOW. 24Kx12mo=288K not to mention the 10-20K xmas bonus. 300K..... WOW, so much better than I was told. Happy Camper!!!!

Moral of the story? Ignorant new grad with no clue what I am worth would have been satisfied with 208K eventhough Market was about 300k. I suspect if I looked around more, I would have pushed 350K.

I kind of get why someone would settle for 160/hr but I can atleast explain my plight as there was no internet to search/no one really to ask. There is not reason anyone should take 160/hr.
Compared to the Market TH job which is about 75/hr more x 140hrsmo x 12 mo = 126K/yr. Usuck has what a 2 yr contract? so 250k in 2 yrs.

What is this bonus they are offering? If it is not 200K, then you are being screwed for 2 yrs of servitude.

New grads, do the math. You are smart. Take your calculator out. Oh... your "ownership" at Usuck is worth about as much as Enron Shares.

I smell whiskey

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I don't touch whiskey. The headache is not worth it. Had a "Jack and Coke" on the day that Lemmy Kilmister died (in memoriam). Was sick for a few hours. That was the last whiskey I've had. Maybe the last in my life.

Should we expect the forthcoming details in the style of 4chan?

Nah. The 4chan thing was some spontaneous fun. I'll make it good, though. Promise.

I graduated with 350k of debt and paid off in 2.5 years. It's doable depending on where you work, and if you're willing to live frugally. For anyone wondering, ALL of that debt was from med school. I graduated from undergrad with 8k in the bank!

/b/ *rewind*

Be me.
20 years old.
Bartender?!
Got drunk afterwards.
"Go South, young man."
Eff yesss! Adventure! Island girls! Adventure island!
Sign here!
Thank you. Please drive thru.

RF - You know that Radiohead song that has the robot talking and at the beginning it makes sense the rapidly deteriorated into random paranoid flight-of-ideas type stuff. That’s how I just feel having read this, lol.

I also had a very similar experience with a prof hating that I could learn something from a textbook.

RF - You know that Radiohead song that has the robot talking and at the beginning it makes sense the rapidly deteriorated into random paranoid flight-of-ideas type stuff. That’s how I just feel having read this, lol.

I also had a very similar experience with a prof hating that I could learn something from a textbook.

The song you're referring to is "Fitter, Happier" from the OK COMPUTER album.
Great album. Probably in my top 10 faves.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I decided to go with the higher paying job. The contract says that they can settle any malpractice claim after discussing with me and my lawyer without my permission, unless it leads to out of pocket payment or threatens a license, then they will defend.
Is this a standard corporate company contract clause?

Every lawsuit that is reported to the state medical board can threaten your license. Look into the rules/regs of your state medical board. For instance, Georgia requires lawsuits to be reported to the state if an award/settlement is >$10,000.

Reported cases are peer reviewed and multiple cases can get your license revoked. So it's like a point system on a license: every time you get caught speeding, you're one step closer to losing your license (theoretically). One can argue that any settlement that results in reporting to a state medical board threatens your license. Therefore, a good attorney will get you out of that contract clause and if the company settles on your behalf, will likely get you a judgement from your employer.

I was closer to 400k after interest when finishing residency. Thank God I managed to pay it off after a few years. That debt used to give me stomach ulcers.

Every lawsuit that is reported to the state medical board can threaten your license. Look into the rules/regs of your state medical board. For instance, Georgia requires lawsuits to be reported to the state if an award/settlement is >$10,000.

Reported cases are peer reviewed and multiple cases can get your license revoked. So it's like a point system on a license: every time you get caught speeding, you're one step closer to losing your license (theoretically). One can argue that any settlement that results in reporting to a state medical board threatens your license. Therefore, a good attorney will get you out of that contract clause and if the company settles on your behalf, will likely get you a judgement from your employer.

Sorry, what does judgement from the employer mean?

Thank you so much for your advice, it puts me more at ease that a good attorney can get that covered.

Do you personally know of any EM docs who have lost their license from database reporting? I know several docs who have been sued and/or settled and none to my knowledge have ever had issues with state licensing. I keep hearing about the potential for punitive measures from state medical boards but have never actually heard of anyone losing their license. Nor have they had issues with credentialing.

Do you personally know of any EM docs who have lost their license from database reporting? I know several docs who have been sued and/or settled and none to my knowledge have ever had issues with state licensing. I keep hearing about the potential for punitive measures from state medical boards but have never actually heard of anyone losing their license. Nor have they had issues with credentialing.

Yes. A report leads to peer review, and if the peer reviewer finds you didn't meet standard of care, in Georgia it gets referred to the attorney general's office. The AG then decides whether (a) there should be criminal charges, (b) there should be license suspension or revocation, (c) you should be fined, (d) you should get additional CME's, or (e) there is nothing further. He/she then presents their suggestion to the state medical board.

ALL reported cases to the Georgia Medical Board are peer reviewed. If the peer reviewer finds standard of care wasn't met, then it's a long process of investigations that most often leads to fines. Sometimes it can lead to license revocation.

So I decided to go with the higher paying job. The contract says that they can settle any malpractice claim after discussing with me and my lawyer without my permission, unless it leads to out of pocket payment or threatens a license, then they will defend.
Is this a standard corporate company contract clause?

Similar wordings in my contract which I tried to get them to change to them requiring my written consent prior to any settlement. They wouldn't budge.

Yes. A report leads to peer review, and if the peer reviewer finds you didn't meet standard of care, in Georgia it gets referred to the attorney general's office. The AG then decides whether (a) there should be criminal charges, (b) there should be license suspension or revocation, (c) you should be fined, (d) you should get additional CME's, or (e) there is nothing further. He/she then presents their suggestion to the state medical board.

ALL reported cases to the Georgia Medical Board are peer reviewed. If the peer reviewer finds standard of care wasn't met, then it's a long process of investigations that most often leads to fines. Sometimes it can lead to license revocation.

Illinois, Florida, Georgia.

Thanks for helping me update my list!

Illinois, Florida, Georgia.

Thanks for helping me update my list!

Georgia isn't that bad provided for med mal also it borders Alabama, TN and is close to Mississippi which is pure $$$ I'm trying to get my Mississippi license this year.

Fox update on med mal case? Curious.

Fox update on med mal case? Curious.

Stay tuned. Probably post it all on here somewhere in mid-late January. Too busy with other stuff to be happy about now.

Remodeling the house.
Updating the garden and landscaping.
Tomorrow is shopping for a new mattress and new ceiling fans, then lunch with the wife. Then, hit up furniture store for bedroom set and then go bowling.
We love bowling.
Headed to Chattanooga for some hiking at the end of the month. If anyone wants to suggest good restaurants, go ahead.

Stay tuned. Probably post it all on here somewhere in mid-late January. Too busy with other stuff to be happy about now.

Remodeling the house.
Updating the garden and landscaping.
Tomorrow is shopping for a new mattress and new ceiling fans, then lunch with the wife. Then, hit up furniture store for bedroom set and then go bowling.
We love bowling.
Headed to Chattanooga for some hiking at the end of the month. If anyone wants to suggest good restaurants, go ahead.

Tony's has good Italian. There was a burger joint my wife took her family to (before she became a vegetarian - just don't understand it). It may have been Urban Slack? It was pretty good. We used to go to Blacksmith's for Sunday brunch sometimes, but I think they closed it. They had the best bloody Mary's.

My wife is from the area and still has family there. We're there often, but she knows the ins and outs. I can ask her for tips if you want.

Tony's has good Italian. There was a burger joint my wife took her family to (before she became a vegetarian - just don't understand it). It may have been Urban Slack? It was pretty good. We used to go to Blacksmith's for Sunday brunch sometimes, but I think they closed it. They had the best bloody Mary's.

My wife is from the area and still has family there. We're there often, but she knows the ins and outs. I can ask her for tips if you want.

Yeah, sure. Feel free to post or PM. We have 3 days to spend.

Just thought about a more appropriate title for this thread.. Gonorrhea vs chlamydia

Reactions: 2 users