tech certification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meckley

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get some idea of what my financial situation will be while in pharmacy school , so I did some searches on employers in the area of the school I hope to attend. I find alot of positions for pharmacy techs, but not a lot of other paying positions.

Are there paying positions in a pharmacy that do not require certification? Would it be worth it to seek tech certification to work in a pharmacy during my professional school years? If so, how long does the course generally take to complete?

I'm sorry I'm so clueless on this subject. I am currently working in pharmacology research so I have very little knowledge of the liscensure requirements to work in retail.

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, it is pointless to become a certified pharm.tech. Why? Alot of pharm.tech position DO NOT require that you enroll in pharm.tech program(infact, many community colleges and junior colleges do provide pharm.tech certification programs which may you cost heck of a $$$...i am poor).
If you do place your foot in a pharm.tech position, your employer will eventually require you to take the certification exam(based on your training not stupid classes offered by those comm/junior colleges) which is fairly easy.
Other positions in the pharmacy field(non-degree requirements) are pharmacy clerk which you run the cash register, answering phones while the pharmacist will pretty much sit next to the computer while you run around.
While you are in pharmacy school, you are extremely busy studying and drinking coffee(french decaf is the best by the way). So, your time is pretty much limited. Plus, you don't want to put your studies in jeapordy.
I know what it feels like not to have bi-weekly check of $400-800 while in school. But you know wat, you will be debt regardless of whether you work 40hrs or even 80hrs. So, you might as well take out some extra loans to cover your personal or beer expenses(joke). Studies, first! Remember, at many pharmacy schools if not all pharm.schools, the dean will recommend you to graduate(based on character, grades) unlike undergraduate where you can take any stupid class(imaginable) and end up graduating at your own disgression.
I also thought about working when i start pharm.school in the fall but i became more hesistant after talking to some pharmacy students. Plus, i will be going to a 3-year pharmd program where i don't get any summer off.
If you are going to a 4-year program, then you might want to consider working in the summer only. Well, i can't tell what to do. But i hope it helps.

Thanks for the info tristan! I was confused about the pharm tech requirements because I only found info from the schools who, of course, say you need to take their classes.

I didn't realize that you could work in a pharmacy without any kind of certification...that's good to know.

I understand your point about not jeapordizing studies. I am not sure I will seek work, but with a husband in law school in a different state from the pharmacy school, we will have lots of additional expenses. I'm not convinced loans will be enough.

Besides, I'd be living with my in-laws...so I won't mind spending lots of time away from home ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
You're welcome. Guess wat? About 4 yrs from now, you will be worth an excess of $180k+/year(lawyer + pharmcist....wow, good combination).
Actually, you could become a pharmceutical lawyer(now, these guys make the real big bucks) yourself by pursing a jd after pharmacy school. I have been thinking about it.
I seem to be talking about money alot but i really like the pharmacy profession.
fact:
-We all go to school to earn a good salary...and the rest just come along(education, ethics, character and so on)

I think it's more situational than Tristan makes it look. I know several students in pharm school that have worked a variety of pharm tech positions during their schooling. Particulary in the first year if you're strong in the basic sciences it won't be that hectic (at SC you're in class from 8am-12pm each day I know I won't need the from 12-10 pm to study so I'm looking into tech'ing.) In CA you only need a BS to file for tech certification so it's well within virtually anyone's grasp. Moreover, the work can be used in certain situations to go towards you 900 hours, or whatever it is, of requisite time in a pharmacy to graduate.

The caveat is how will working affect your fin. aid award. It may very well not be worth it to work if you're disbursement is penalized.

I do have a BS in biology/environmental science already, so I have lots of basic sciences under my belt. I hope that helps me. But like I said, I'm not sure I will work while in school, I just wanted to know what the options were in case we realize in October or November that the loan money is running out.

I don't know how financial aid works since I had a full ride for undergrad...can they change your disbursement amount during the school year if you take a job and start earning money after disbursements are made? I thought that my loan amount was based on my 2002 taxes (where I made a decent salary) and not on our projected situation for 2003-2004.

Meckley,

You're right that it wouldn't affect your 2003-04 disbursement, but it would affect the next academic year's. My advice is speak with a financial aid advisor and see if you're really worried about it. There's probably a link on this site for things like that.

hi meckley, are you a pahrmd/jd?? do you know of anythign concerning jobs, type of jobs, ability to get these jobs, salary, and ability to be a consultant as a second job??

tryinghard,

No, I am not a pharmd/jd. I am applying to pharm school, and my husband is almost done his jd. Sorry, I don't know anything about the opportunities for a pharmd/jd.