Tech Manager

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCU07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I had this argument yesterday with our tech manager at the hospital pharm. I work at. I complained about the way he talked to me to our manager and was told that he has direct supervision of pharmacists??? Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this violate law? Sorry, the whole situation kind of pissed me off.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see how a technician could ever supervise a pharmacist in a pharmacy setting on anything other than bureaucratic paperwork nonsense.

So, I had this argument yesterday with our tech manager at the hospital pharm. I work at. I complained about the way he talked to me to our manager and was told that he has direct supervision of pharmacists??? Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this violate law? Sorry, the whole situation kind of pissed me off.

Just to clear up what happened...I was about to leave for the day when he proceeded to lecture me on a medication that I delivered to a nurse on the floor that I am responsible for. He said that I didn't follow new procedure on dispensing of meds. I told him that we (pharmacists) don't usually distribute or deliver the meds and have no way of knowing what new policies are unless communicated to us. He asked that I go get the med and this form and bring it back down to the pharmacy before I leave, which def. pissed me off, especially the way he was talking to me about the situation. The worst part it, I was told by mgt. that I can't do anything about it b/c he is technically my supervisor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you need to have a chat with your DOP about bringing that tech down a notch or two. There's no way I would be bossed around like that by a tech.

Just to clear up what happened...I was about to leave for the day when he proceeded to lecture me on a medication that I delivered to a nurse on the floor that I am responsible for. He said that I didn't follow new procedure on dispensing of meds. I told him that we (pharmacists) don't usually distribute or deliver the meds and have no way of knowing what new policies are unless communicated to us. He asked that I go get the med and this form and bring it back down to the pharmacy before I leave, which def. pissed me off, especially the way he was talking to me about the situation. The worst part it, I was told by mgt. that I can't do anything about it b/c he is technically my supervisor.

Sounds like how corporate DM/managers have supervision over staff pharmacists. As much as it pisses me off, this is no different than a head nurse making sure all hospital procedures are okay.

The only time it is illegal is when the head tech tells you to do something relating to the practice of pharmacy (ie dispense this or that). Other than that, the head tech got you on everything else. It wont even be wrong if the head tech tells you to take out the garbage even though it is a sign of disrespect and I would leave the place asap.

Wow.. your DOP is an idiot..

arent you going to medical school?

arent you going to medical school?

Wow you guys really keep up with this lol...anyway, yeah I am studying for the MCAT and am taking it in April. So, I guess we will see what happens. If I bomb I can cont. to be talked down to by my superior tech haha

You should ask your DOP for the Department of Pharmacy's organization chart. It's hard to believe that a techinician can supervise a staff pharmacist.

Wow you guys really keep up with this lol...anyway, yeah I am studying for the MCAT and am taking it in April. So, I guess we will see what happens. If I bomb I can cont. to be talked down to by my superior tech haha

I am sure you will be fine on the test, but just realize your looking at the same thing for the next 10 years of your life from residents, to attendings, to nurses

I would love to see my tech supervisor try anything other than ask pharmacists nicely. Any demands on a pharmacist would result in severe backlash. We're already down to "critical numbers", and I can guarantee talking down to any of them would not be pretty :smuggrin:

I can see that happening.. I learned in the military authority comes 2 ways, by rank and by position. He clearly has authority by position and not rank, seeing as you're a pharmacist and "out ranks" him. Even though I was an E3 with 1 yr into the Army, I was a health inspector and so my position put me over all the dining hall managers who were E7's with 15 yrs in and were used to eating their E3's for breakfast. Same as when I worked for Walgreen's as an asst. mgr. For logistics and administration I was over the pharmacy and staff. Obviously over technical issues I had no jurisdiction. I think techboy might be on a power trip but for administrative issues they can get a camel to spit out orders. I'd draw the line when he started living his clinical "phantasies" vicariously through you.

I can see that happening.. I learned in the military authority comes 2 ways, by rank and by position. He clearly has authority by position and not rank, seeing as you're a pharmacist and "out ranks" him. Even though I was an E3 with 1 yr into the Army, I was a health inspector and so my position put me over all the dining hall managers who were E7's with 15 yrs in and were used to eating their E3's for breakfast. Same as when I worked for Walgreen's as an asst. mgr. For logistics and administration I was over the pharmacy and staff. Obviously over technical issues I had no jurisdiction. I think techboy might be on a power trip but for administrative issues they can get a camel to spit out orders. I'd draw the line when he started living his clinical "phantasies" vicariously through you.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: