tech pay at CVS vs walgreens, or other retails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pencilandpen

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so today I was hearing some tech discussing their pay, and over heard that techs at CVS are making something like $15 to $20/hr? I was super surprised. I thought only independents or hospital paid that much.

whats the tech pay at other retails like Walgreens , Rite Aid, Walmart, ect?
I swear last time I heard was techs complaining they were only getting paid $10 per hour.

of course this is really good news to me, having good techs is soooo important, so I am glad that tech wages are finally going up.
 
so I did some google search and it seems that the average pay for major chain pharmacies for techs are around 9 to 11 dollars dollars with senior techs make around 15. but again these data are probably years old.

if anyone is willing to share their current pay as a tech and the company you would greatly satisfy my curiosity.
thanks in advance
 
I'd like to make $10, lol. I'm certified and with one year experience and make a bit above $8 at a small independent. I'm not upset, though. I enjoy where I'm at now, and I don't have any major bills or expenses. My car is paid for, and I just have to buy gas and food, etc.

I'm moving (hopefully) to CVS when I start my undergrad next month. I have heard the new starting pay there is like 12 or 13, which would be nice. I'd be happy with 10, though, haha. Haven't heard about Walgreens. I'd assume it's the same as Rite Aid. Walmart tech's I've spoken to seem to do decent. Not sure on exact figures, though. Hospitals are the best place for techs, in my opinion.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Experienced tech (2-5 yrs) in cvs, wag, riteaid in CA gets about 19-21/hr in socal.

Independent $25-30/hr with no benefit/vacation/sick time.

Hospital tech gets 22-35/hr based on experience.
 
I'd like to make $10, lol. I'm certified and with one year experience and make a bit above $8 at a small independent. I'm not upset, though. I enjoy where I'm at now, and I don't have any major bills or expenses. My car is paid for, and I just have to buy gas and food, etc.

I'm moving (hopefully) to CVS when I start my undergrad next month. I have heard the new starting pay there is like 12 or 13, which would be nice. I'd be happy with 10, though, haha. Haven't heard about Walgreens. I'd assume it's the same as Rite Aid. Walmart tech's I've spoken to seem to do decent. Not sure on exact figures, though. Hospitals are the best place for techs, in my opinion.

$8 per hour ??? I always thought indys pay more than chains...hmm guess i could be wrong all this time lol
 
Experienced tech (2-5 yrs) in cvs, wag, riteaid in CA gets about 19-21/hr in socal.

Independent $25-30/hr with no benefit/vacation/sick time.

Hospital tech gets 22-35/hr based on experience.

holy **** life is good in CA, that's some high pay. for me I am speaking from the NJ/PA area
 
Last edited:
$8 per hour ??? I always thought indys pay more than chains...hmm guess i could be wrong all this time lol
They do, well, they are supposed to. I speculate the reasons for my pay are a) I was hired initially as a clerk/cashier and gradually took up responsibilities your average tech would (and more, NC is very generous in terms of tech responsibility) and only later became certified so I'm still paid more or less as a clerk than a tech, and b) I was hired with the knowledge I would be leaving a short time after being hired (relatively, anyway, for college).

It is what it is.
 
Unless you live in your car, all of that extra pay goes to rent
If you are a single male with no dependents there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be living in a high paying area while living in your car/van. Are you aware of what the Hotel Industrial Complex attempts to do to make "free living" seem criminal?
 
If you are a single male with no dependents there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be living in a high paying area while living in your car/van. Are you aware of what the Hotel Industrial Complex attempts to do to make "free living" seem criminal?

You’re a self-described incel... and your posts explain why.
 
Connecticut: $15 as a tech at Walgreens (not senior). Hospital/LTC/Nuclear jobs vary $17-20 starting pay with some compounding jobs in the hospital nearest to me reaching $20-25.
 
holy **** life is good in CA, that's some high pay. for me I am speaking from the NJ/PA area

Granted I was hired 5 years ago..
I was certified and hired at $9.25 an hour. I ended up as lead tech making $14.50. Left two years ago. SE PA
 
Kaiser Northern California 2012-2014 - see attached. I suppose these numbers are higher now. It is not clear if there are adjustments for location
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20180729-053805.png
    Screenshot_20180729-053805.png
    325.4 KB · Views: 148
so today I was hearing some tech discussing their pay, and over heard that techs at CVS are making something like $15 to $20/hr? I was super surprised. I thought only independents or hospital paid that much.

whats the tech pay at other retails like Walgreens , Rite Aid, Walmart, ect?
I swear last time I heard was techs complaining they were only getting paid $10 per hour.

of course this is really good news to me, having good techs is soooo important, so I am glad that tech wages are finally going up.
My techs are making 13-15 per hour here in the Midwest. After the Trump tax cuts, the minimum went up to 13 per hour.