Techniques and Pearls for Thoracic MBB/RFA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
18 years in on T-spine RF. 100's to over a thousand done.
Medial to lateral, inferior to superior. Needle tip sitting on upper outer quadrant of pedicle shadow. Active tip as flat on lamina as possible.



View attachment 366265
But are you distal or proximal to where the medial branch innervates the joint using that technique? I would say distal which does nothing. Much like the lady who does her cervical mbb’s on the posterior articular pillar.

And if one argues otherwise, this technique still has problems as the probe is placed perpendicular and not parallel to the nerve as you show above. If someone did this in the cervical or lumbar spine, you’d eviscerate em. I’d say you’re living in a glass house

I also use this technique for thoracic RFA. Quick, safe and it works.
 
Whoever wants my thoracic anything procedures, send me your contact info, happy to send. For the n, it’s just not worth the time, insurance ridiculousness, effort, risk etc.

I say this as I have multiple legacy thoracic epidural, thoracic rfa pateints that I begrudgingly do mainly because they have Medicare and I have no interest in taking on any new patients in this category
 
Yet somehow I manage....
20 years doing it this way with success rates = to cervical literature.
Must be lucky.
If following the diagram I posted above, my target appears to be a few mm distal to the lateral branch takeoff. So I am getting almost the entire medial branch from there. Articular branches are not shown... a caveat for us all.
Let me see if you can guess who I am “Your anecdotes and n of 10 mean nothing to me. Show me the DBRCTs” 😜
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whoever wants my thoracic anything procedures, send me your contact info, happy to send. For the n, it’s just not worth the time, insurance ridiculousness, effort, risk etc.

I say this as I have multiple legacy thoracic epidural, thoracic rfa pateints that I begrudgingly do mainly because they have Medicare and I have no interest in taking on any new patients in this category

I don’t live near you and I don’t need anymore patients.

However, I’d rather do thoracic ESI and thoracic RFA over CESI and cervical RFA.
Pays the same and is safer and quicker. (At least with the thoracic RFA technique that Steve and I both use).

I’ve had issues with many BCBS plans not covering thoracic RFA, but no issues with straight Medicare, Cigna, Aetna, UHC, or our state WC.
 
Last edited:
But are you distal or proximal to where the medial branch innervates the joint using that technique? I would say distal which does nothing. Much like the lady who does her cervical mbb’s on the posterior articular pillar.

And if one argues otherwise, this technique still has problems as the probe is placed perpendicular and not parallel to the nerve as you show above. If someone did this in the cervical or lumbar spine, you’d eviscerate em. I’d say you’re living in a glass house
I insert midline and basically follow SP with Sidekick tip like so. I feel like it's actual quite parallel. Whether it's distal to articular branches that's up for debate, but seems to work well anecdotally.
1000006868.png
 
So I have been revieing this thread...just confirming you only do pedicle shadow for T10 MBB and above. T11 and below is traditional target Junction of the SAP and TP based on the anatomy and the course of the Medial branches.

For Pedicle shadow technique you start one level below, go in medial to lateral and land on the upper outer quadrant of the pedicle shadow.

I guess my question is for the Pedicle shadow technique do you do this pretty much from an AP approach?
 
So I have been revieing this thread...just confirming you only do pedicle shadow for T10 MBB and above. T11 and below is traditional target Junction of the SAP and TP based on the anatomy and the course of the Medial branches.

For Pedicle shadow technique you start one level below, go in medial to lateral and land on the upper outer quadrant of the pedicle shadow.

I guess my question is for the Pedicle shadow technique do you do this pretty much from an AP approach?
Yes, I do AP using the pedicular shadow technique.
 
on your AP when you are placing the needles using the pedicular shadow technique, are you putting on any caudal tilt or just 0 degrees AP and then climbing up starting one level below? Have an upcoming T8, T9, T10 RFA. Okay to use 18g venom needles? @lobelsteve @drmamba
 
on your AP when you are placing the needles using the pedicular shadow technique, are you putting on any caudal tilt or just 0 degrees AP and then climbing up starting one level below? Have an upcoming T8, T9, T10 RFA. Okay to use 18g venom needles? @lobelsteve @drmamba
I caudal tilt to square endplates. Start at inferior VB plate and head superiolateral. Nothing but skin/fat/muscle- if skinny patient risk of skin burn based on depth.
 
Probably dumb questions but honestly curious. do people actualy document this pedicle shadow technique on procedure note officially..is it an accepted way to do the procedure. it seems well accepted on this forum but is there any pubnlished literature on it. Curious as I have dont only a few thoracic RFAs, 99% of my RFA are cervical and lumbar.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Probably dumb questions but honestly curious. do people actualy document this pedicle shadow technique on procedure note officially..is it an accepted way to do the procedure. it seems well accepted on this forum but is there any pubnlished literature on it. Curious as I have dont only a few thoracic RFAs, 99% of my RFA are cervical and lumbar.

I average 1/week, did two today.

This is the snippet of our note, no issues billing or legality

Procedure in Detail : … A curved radio frequency cannula 20 gauge, 10 cm was placed at the appropriate level, at each site. Multiplanar views were used to confirm placement of the needle and motor was tested at each individual level…
 
I’ve been contemplating scraping thoracic rfa and just doing sprint SPR… it takes like 5 minutes and a nice filler at the asc

Thoughts?
 
I’ve been contemplating scraping thoracic rfa and just doing sprint SPR… it takes like 5 minutes and a nice filler at the asc

Thoughts?
I’ve never done Sprint in the T spine. I am assuming you would just place the lead at the pedicle shadow for this technique?

One issue I see is which ICD10 code would you use? In the L spine I have been using the lumbar multifidus dysfunction code.
 
I’ve never done Sprint in the T spine. I am assuming you would just place the lead at the pedicle shadow for this technique?

One issue I see is which ICD10 code would you use? In the L spine I have been using the lumbar multifidus dysfunction code.
G58.8 other specified mononeuropathy
 
G58.8 other specified mononeuropathy
Just to play devils advocate, do you really feel that there is a neuropathy of the medial branch nerve in this case? I would assume most of us would be doing the procedure to help with pain presumably from spondylosis. I think using that diagnosis code is a bit of a gray area. I am not criticizing you or anything, just putting my thoughts out there.
 
Just to play devils advocate, do you really feel that there is a neuropathy of the medial branch nerve in this case? I would assume most of us would be doing the procedure to help with pain presumably from spondylosis. I think using that diagnosis code is a bit of a gray area. I am not criticizing you or anything, just putting my thoughts out there.
Is there a closer/more appropriate code that’s an acceptable Medicare PNS code?
 
Not that I can find. That is the problem that I am running in to. I think the therapy could potentially help but I am not really comfortable using a diagnosis code that I don’t think is accurate or appropriate.
reminds me of docs using CRPS codes for knee pain after TKA to get DRG approved
 
Just to play devils advocate, do you really feel that there is a neuropathy of the medial branch nerve in this case? I would assume most of us would be doing the procedure to help with pain presumably from spondylosis. I think using that diagnosis code is a bit of a gray area. I am not criticizing you or anything, just putting my thoughts out there.
It’s the closest one. Lumbar spondy is not an approved icd10 for Medicare
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad