Techs who think they're pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I started my first pharmacy intern job I had just finished my first year of pharmacy school and had zero pharmacy experience. My biggest fear was techs being jerks to me. Could this attitude be due to interns who see themselves above techs? I don't know.

Interestingly I never once thought I would have problems... but I've come to see some and it's a bit frustrating because the intern really doesn't have a well defined role. Whichever end of the spectrum you play with you're stepping on someone's toes.

I've found it's personalities... some techs actually delegate to you which really frustrates me, e.g. here's mrs. smiths scripts, go fill them. Then they text someone on a phone or something useless. Others recognize your future role as a pharmacist and treat you as such e.g. let me handle that, the pharmacist doesn't do this - you can do XYZ. These people are often more comfortable with their role and not as threatened perhaps?
 
I have a great internship this summer. The tech does not "out rank" me, but I treat her like she does. She knows the system inside and out, knows the patients better than I do and has, like, eight pairs of hands when it comes to getting stuff done. She more than earns the additional $2/hour more in pay.

She happily instructs me to take the "new one" on the phone or do the transfer script. If a patient has a question, she calls me over before she calls the pharmacist because she knows I need the experience. She also happily teaches me about inventory management and enjoys regaling me with stories of the patients she knows quite intimately.

For every bad tech, there are many more good ones who keep pharmacies running. I've had the pleasure of working with one of the best.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Even if you're a new pharmacist, you can still gently remind the tech that you value his/her insight, but would appreciate it if they left the clinical judgment up to you, since it is your license on the line. If they still have the nerve to object, then just ask them if they've got the money to cover your legal costs, your family's living expenses for the next 40 years, and support your retirement fund when you lose your license because their "expertise" hurts someone. I've seen this one used in action, and it works very well.

Also remember that you always have the option to write up an insolent technician. I've seen veteran technicians fired over much less than questioning the pharmacist in front of a patient.

I've been told that it is one thing to be able to handle a difficult patient, but someone who can neutralize an insolent technician has a completely different set of talents.
 
I work with a Senior Tech (her emphasis, not mine) who believes she has the right and authority to always work the in-window. Since I'm just a student (and all other pharmacy students for that matter), I should only work the drive-thru or out counter.

I think there is a bigger issue here than who is the oldest/smartest/most expensively educated, etc; a pharmacy intern p1 or otherwise is in that position in order to learn how to be a pharmacist. The senior tech may have more experience or knowlege, but the intern is there to gain that knowlege and more. A pharmacist intern should not be left at the register or drive-thru for any long period of time. Customer service is *very* important, but that's not all the intern is there to learn.