Teeth collection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keibee82

Blue_tooth...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently talked to my dentist about the solution that we have to use for the teeth collection. I saw on the other thread couple of weeks ago about using bleach mixed with water and I asked him if I can use it. He said teeth will melt if I place it in the bleach/water solution for a long time so I should use formalin. So my question is this. I've searched this formalin solution on google and found that there are many different kinds.
They usually call it Formaldehyde (2,4,10 or 20%) solution. I saw on some article about using Formaldehyde 10% v/v Solution and Formaldehyde 10% Neuturalized and Buffered Solution. Which one should I pick???

Members don't see this ad.

It's true that if you put teeth in a solution of bleach and water, if the bleach portion is too high, then the teeth will begin to dissolve. I noticed that in a thread a long time ago and never said anything, but I've seen it happen.

All the teeth I have collected over the last year, and I recently looked at them and put them into a new solution cause they've been in the old one so long, are fine. For ease, i just use a solution of 50/50 alcohol and water. I just buy rubbing alcohol, usually 90% alcohol, and pour a little more than half into the container and finish up with water (leaving space for teeth of course) and then put in the teeth. None have "melted".

Every school will ask you preserve your teeth differently or have a "best solution" with two drops of glycerin and thre tables spoons of bleach per pint of TNT. Doesn't really matter, what works, works.

so will this Formaldehyde 10% v/v Solution work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Much of what I have read suggested 10% neutral buffered formalin (diff from formaldehyde, but does contain 4% formaldehyde and MeOH). Research suggests that formaldehyde of any concentration over an extended period of time will cause demineralization (I'm assuming maybe that is what the dentist referred to as "melting?") Anyway, some suggest using a high concentration of ethanol for storage as the above poster suggested, also. What I am wondering is that there has also been research stating that teeth were best preserved in nothing at all. They suggest cleaning the teeth of blood and debris, putting them in a plastic bag and freezing them. As the teeth dry and any attached tissue begins to decompose though, I'd imagine they would smell will be BAD! They have implanted teeth after 6 months that were cryogenically frozen and 2 years after implantation they were identical to other (non extracted) teeth, but many people don't have access to liq nitrogen probably. Anyway, I'm curious too as to why some suggest hydrated medium is better and others say dry and frozen is the best way to preserve them for future use. Any ideas?

I'm not saying that what I did, using a solution to store the teeth, is the best solution to storage...I just found it worked fine for me so far. It's very possible that dry or frozen storage will work great, but if you don't clean the teeth well, dry storage could allow microbes to continue to grow. I've heard of people cleaning the teeth off using dental hygiene tools and then washing them thoroughly and sterilizing them in sterilization bags and storing them in the air after that. I'm sure there are many workable methods. I think stoage in a solution that contains methanol may not be optimal since you'd have to may sure the container was pretty much air tight. There's my 3rd cent.

I think you have delved into the 'too technical' aspect of collecting teeth.

why are u guys collecting teeth, doesn't the school provide them? do you guys know if NYU requires teeth collections?

Back to my original question. Can I use Formaldehyde 10% v/v Solution (Formalin) ????:confused:
YES or NO?

Ok, I went to this website sciencestuff.com to buy formalin solution but they only ship these chemicals to schools and laboratory. Where can I buy this solution ????:eek:

Ask your school. Or use bleach for a couple days for disinfection and then store in water and keep in fridge to keep microbe growth down.

or store them in your lab's -80C freezer..hehe j/k ;)