TEG platelett mapping

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I moderated our institution's CIC today. I brought up TEG platelett mapping as a way to quantify platelet function. I learned about this technique a few years back, but I haven't actually been in a hospital that actually used it perioperatively. Apparently our cardiologists use it to monitor anti-platelet therapy efficacy.

Anyone out there use it peri-operatively? What are your thoughts? Does it help with decicion making?

The reagents used are apparently quit expensive.

Members don't see this ad.

We used it for our cardiac cases. It helped in some cases to give a "heads up" if there was a coagulation issue. It helped more with knowing if the plavix a patient was on was sufficient enough to warrant getting platelets when coming off bypass. Prior to using it most patients got 2 pools if he was oozy. After using the TEG, if the platelet funtion was normal, we would hold off.

It was difficult to get some of the surgeons to trust the machine. THey would want to give some products right away if there were any post-cpb issues. It took some time to get them to wait for the results before reflexively giving products.

Hope that helps.

It's been a while for me.

But for liver transplants...

it was intersteing, fun and helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
We used it for our cardiac cases. It helped in some cases to give a "heads up" if there was a coagulation issue. It helped more with knowing if the plavix a patient was on was sufficient enough to warrant getting platelets when coming off bypass. Prior to using it most patients got 2 pools if he was oozy. After using the TEG, if the platelet funtion was normal, we would hold off.

It was difficult to get some of the surgeons to trust the machine. THey would want to give some products right away if there were any post-cpb issues. It took some time to get them to wait for the results before reflexively giving products.

Hope that helps.

Agreed that if parameters on the regular TEG were normal, there would be no need to do the platelet mapping portion -at least that seems reasonalbe, but I wonder if that is really the case.

TEG is cool. I bet the platelett mapping part is funky cool. We use normal TEG in the heart room every case.

Agreed that if parameters on the regular TEG were normal, there would be no need to do the platelet mapping portion -at least that seems reasonalbe, but I wonder if that is really the case.

No, not the case. People with messed up platelets have normal regular TEG all the time. Thats why they came up with platelet mapping.

BTW, platelet mapping TEG is like $130 plus the man power to do it. regular TEG is about $15.