Teladoc and NPDB reporting- My Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molossus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share with you my experience regarding one of my side gigs, telemedicine with a company called Teladoc. Unfortunately my experience with them was very unpleasant and I'm looking to share the word of my experience

I read this blog all the time but never post. I want to share with you all my experience in doing business with Teladoc, a telemedicine company. If you know any physician who is considering working with them, please share my post.

I worked with teladoc as an independent contractor for over 4 years and never had any trouble until this past year. During the pandemic, a lot of people have been flocking to internal medicine via telemedicine visits and teladoc reaped the benefits of that. As a result a lot of insurance companies started approving telemedicine visits. In June of this year I was placed on a performance improvement program by a senior medical director at teladoc who for some reason had been picking on me for over the past year. I was alarmed that I was put on such disciplinary measures but the reason that I was given for it was because I was using templates as a structure for writing my notes. That's not a new practice for me and it's something that I use all the time when I work in the hospital as well. I complied with all of the rules that the senior doctor put into this performance program. He ended up saying that I was unsatisfactory on the performance plan because I only worked 20 out of the 30 days. I didn't think it was reasonable to work 30 out of the 30 days and so I resigned and informed the medical director. He never replied.

Following this there was lots of silence, except Teladoc kept harassing me to take more consults. I found out in late August 2020 that I was reported by teladoc to the national practitioner data bank because I resigned during an investigation. I had to appeal it through internal Teladoc process which Teladoc denied removing the complaint to the data bank but gave no reason for it.having never dealt with this issue before, because I've never been the subject of any disciplinary action ever in over 14 years of practice, I looked at what the policies were of the data bank.

Unfortunately, unless Teladoc removes their report it will stay on the NPDB permanently this will permanently damage my professional reputation and will cause problems for me with other hospitals and healthcare entities I work for as well as state licensure. I do not want other physicians to be harmed as I have been so I hope this will benefit the community.

Anticipatory questions

:: Yes, I have a lawyer. Lawyers are ineffective at this
:: I don't want to litigate. The law always favors the health care entity.
:: Thus far, this has cost me $10K, in fees, lost wages, other costs.

Happy to answer any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Hopefully someone will chime in. If they have the same experience, strength in numbers. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Its not a hospital, nor are there hospital privilege's involved. That is not a reportable offense to the NPDB. Why is the NPDB even adding it? This sounds like an HR issue.

Perhaps patient abandonment for leaving before 30 days are up? But every state has different patient abandonment laws. And if this service doesn't have true patient continuity like a clinic does, and simply one time patient encounters/consults, then you have no ongoing clinic obligations to these patients, and no need for 30 day care end and concerns of patient abandonment.

Big Box shop entities use these reviews and performance scat metrics to push out doctors they don't like all the time. All need to be warned of the changing tide in health care and that you are provider in their eyes - not a physician.

Sue the medical director for reporting this in the first place. Push for something, and if there is settlement, that then goes on that person's NPDB.

HR files you have the right to enter your own response to the HR file. And if any future employers seek it out when doing their review, that should also be forwarded with the 'investigation'. A counter balance to their lies.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Its not a hospital, nor are there hospital privilege's involved. That is not a reportable offense to the NPDB. Why is the NPDB even adding it? This sounds like an HR issue.

Perhaps patient abandonment for leaving before 30 days are up? But every state has different patient abandonment laws. And if this service doesn't have true patient continuity like a clinic does, and simply one time patient encounters/consults, then you have no ongoing clinic obligations to these patients, and no need for 30 day care end and concerns of patient abandonment.

Big Box shop entities use these reviews and performance scat metrics to push out doctors they don't like all the time. All need to be warned of the changing tide in health care and that you are provider in their eyes - not a physician.

Sue the medical director for reporting this in the first place. Push for something, and if there is settlement, that then goes on that person's NPDB.

HR files you have the right to enter your own response to the HR file. And if any future employers seek it out when doing their review, that should also be forwarded with the 'investigation'. A counter balance to their lies.

Agree with the above--if it is as you say then you could have a defamation lawsuit in play. Get a different lawyer if yours says they cant do anything; try asking the state medical board where Teladoc is located for a referral to a medmal lawyer then ask that person if they work defamation or, if not, for a referral to someone who does.

I had a crazy supervisor who threatened to put me on probation over a few admissions I turned down because the hospital got very upset whenever someone got transferred and rode his butt over it. I immediately responded and CCd the HR supervisor that I wanted to discuss this further in person instead of email/phone and I would have an attorney present to represent my interests and it went away immediately. It is expensive and stupid but you spent a long time getting to where you are now and unless you actually did something wrong there is no reason you should have to pay higher medmal rates or explain yourself to credentialing committees the rest of your career.

Last edited:
Agree with the above--if it is as you say then you could have a defamation lawsuit in play. Get a different lawyer if yours says they cant do anything; try asking the state medical board where Teladoc is located for a referral to a medmal lawyer then ask that person if they work defamation or, if not, for a referral to someone who does.

I had a crazy supervisor who threatened to put me on probation over a few admissions I turned down because the hospital got very upset whenever someone got transferred and rode his butt over it. I immediately responded and CCd the HR supervisor that I wanted to discuss this further in person instead of email/phone and I would have an attorney present to represent my interests and it went away immediately. It is expensive and stupid but you spent a long time getting to where you are now and unless you actually did something wrong there is no reason you should have to pay higher medmal rates or explain yourself to credentialing committees the rest of your career.

guys, there is no lawsuit basis, the LAW IS NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE PHYSICIAN, litigation will cost more money and time. any 'healthcare entity' can report a physician. that was why i posted this. to warn you to stay FAR AWAY FROM TELADOC. they are out to ruin physicians. they should be called TELESLAVE

my attorney is a very seasoned health care attorney, there is no law suit basis.

Last edited:
Wait what was reported to the NPDB? Did they literally report that you "resigned while under an internal investigation"?

If so, that doesn't seem particularly damning and seems fairly easy to explain on licensing/credentialing applications. It would also explain why you don't have a legal ground to stand on to get it removed. But I wouldn't think you need one - unless there is more to the story and the NPDB we aren't privy to.

"I was asked to change the way I write my notes, and placed on remediation to do so. With this change I realized I no longer wanted to work for this company and resigned during my remediation."

Edit - however this does seem like a dbag move by Teladoc who are upset you left and definitely makes me want to avoid working for them, so thanks for posting

I became credentialed with Teladoc several months ago, but have not had any patient encounters yet, and I’m not sure that I ever will. Within the past few weeks I’ve been getting almost nightly calls from Teladoc representatives asking me if I’m available to log on and see patients. I keep letting them know that this is not a good time for me and that I will log on and see patients when I have time and desire to. It’s starting to get really annoying, and I’m thinking about resigning. Has anybody had a similar experience?

I became credentialed with Teladoc several months ago, but have not had any patient encounters yet, and I’m not sure that I ever will. Within the past few weeks I’ve been getting almost nightly calls from Teladoc representatives asking me if I’m available to log on and see patients. I keep letting them know that this is not a good time for me and that I will log on and see patients when I have time and desire to. It’s starting to get really annoying, and I’m thinking about resigning. Has anybody had a similar experience?

yes, i had to block them on every manner that they had to communicate with me, even my old cell phone. they constantly harass doctors to take consults

Wait what was reported to the NPDB? Did they literally report that you "resigned while under an internal investigation"?

If so, that doesn't seem particularly damning and seems fairly easy to explain on licensing/credentialing applications. It would also explain why you don't have a legal ground to stand on to get it removed. But I wouldn't think you need one - unless there is more to the story and the NPDB we aren't privy to.

"I was asked to change the way I write my notes, and placed on remediation to do so. With this change I realized I no longer wanted to work for this company and resigned during my remediation."

Edit - however this does seem like a dbag move by Teladoc who are upset you left and definitely makes me want to avoid working for them, so thanks for posting

that is EXACTLY what they reported me for, the thing i completed their 'remediation' by working 20 days, but they wanted me to work 30 days back to back, which i did not think was reasonable. i didnt realize i was in a master and slave relationship with teladoc

dont get me wrong, i CAN sue, but litigation does NOT get them to remove the NPDB report. so i have to keep checking of 'yes' that i was reported on every credentialing/licensure form i fill out.

the teladoc administrators are pretty vicious, and i would recommend every doctor stay away from them. they are reporting lots of doctors , this is standard practice for them now.

Reactions: 1 users
Well ianal but it seems to me if teladoc reported an action against you that was untrue or had no reasonable basis that is indeed a basis for libel/defamation. What was the lawyers reasoning that you had no basis to sue?

i CAN sue, but the law never supports removing these reports to npdb , no matter how insane the reporting is for. having never heard of npdb before this, i think more doctors need to be aware of it and the strong imbalance of power. when i researched the npdb, apparently more than 1million doctors are reported on since it was opened in the late 80s. there is a 'dispute process' which is rather pointless. and the real kicker is, most doctors don't even bother to dispute their reports . there are less than 46K disputes!

Sounds like a horrible company.... I think you should post this elsewhere too, to others can be more aware of this.

Like other platforms.

Good luck, op

teladoc has never forced me to work any days.. how does that make sense as an IC? EM doc here

Sounds like a horrible company.... I think you should post this elsewhere too, to others can be more aware of this.

Like other platforms.

Good luck, op

where else can I post this? feel free to share it as well. this 'company' is all bootleg and their admin people are plain nuts. nobody should be working with them imho, i didnt even get into the actual patient care issues

teladoc has never forced me to work any days.. how does that make sense as an IC? EM doc here

it doesnt make sense. which is why i was shocked they took the approach that because i did not work 30 days back to back, i was failing the 'program plan' , the whole thing is malarkey, but with these people, its a dangerous game to be in . they are doing this to other doctors. this is standard fare for them now , too many doctors on their platform because of the pandemic

That’s terrible , I’ll spread the word. I have heard of similar reporting and issues/investigations to docs working to prescribe DME