Tele-rads position without fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TxC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given the current job market, I was wondering what people's thoughts are about the idea of going straight into a tele-radiology position after residency instead of doing a fellowship. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds great right now in this job market. But you’re kind of hosed if you want to switch jobs later and the market sucks.

Reactions: 1 users
I would compare full time offers with tele-rad. Tele-rad compensation per rvu is terrible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would compare full time offers with tele-rad. Tele-rad compensation per rvu is terrible.

Shh, let them subsidize our partner salaries.

Reactions: 1 user
Lower pay is the tradeoff for: no commute, no annoying phone calls, no admin/meetings, no pt interaction, no mammo, ability to live anywhere. Don't get me wrong, telerads provide a valuable service, but it's arguable that they should be at parity with non-tele.

You could get a non Tele rad position partnership track without fellowship these days. I know most groups would take one lol.

Given the current job market, I was wondering what people's thoughts are about the idea of going straight into a tele-radiology position after residency instead of doing a fellowship. Thanks in advance.

Any tele-job is highly likely to be lower compensation than a true PP partnership gig. I think any financial benefit you'd get from becoming an attending 1 year earlier would be quickly erased by lower earnings over time. Then you'd have the risk that being remote/employee/non-fellowship trained you'd be the first person on the chopping block in lean times.

I personally thought there was a signficant component of skill building in my early career attributable to joining a large group. I able to get to know my colleagues personally and that made a significant impact on being able to get feedback and solicit opinions on cases/procedures. That was invaluable early on. Your relationship to your colleagues and referring physicians is completely different in a tele role.

Reactions: 1 user
I was considering doing this for a year to build up my generalist skills before starting fellowship. I am also somewhat desperate for money right now and even the lower salary of working 1 year would prob be more than whatever I made in 4 years as a resident. Like I was wondering if I could do a 1 week on 2 weeks off nighthawk setup for a year. Seems like a lot of money is spent hiring a physician so I'm not sure if it's plausible.

Its definitely plausible. Remember a forward thinking private practice group embraces lifestyle that people in our generation want. At this point, you have the keys to the kingdom. I know my private practice group is actively trying to find rads to relocate and will pay stipends to residents while they are training. You just have to look or ask.