Telehealth Job Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aracari

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering a full time 100% telehealth position (no call) in order to be able to reside in my ideal city as the job perks outweigh the benefits of other similar jobs in that particular city. The other jobs I am considering with equivalent perks are in other cities that would not be my #1 ideal location. The main downside to this telehealth job is...well.. the lack of face-to-face human interaction/potential development of organic workplace relationships that would occur at an office. All of the jobs I am considering (including the telehealth one) have good support and options for job growth for an early career psychiatrist. I just don't know if I would start feeling isolated or not really ever feel "part of the team" by taking this telehealth job.

Considering that I would be the only person doing fully telehealth work (while the rest of the staff would be at the site at least a few days a week having in-person interactions) would I be considered a non-integral member of the staff there? One positive could be that after a year or so I might be able to transfer to a similar in-person job in my ideal city while living there if a position opens up (but not guaranteed).

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually took a 100% teleneurology position as well for similar reasons. Again, not psychiatry, but I had the same concerns that you did. However, I'm very happy with the company that I joined, and they have a very collaborative environment that promotes interpersonal communication, as well as professional career tracks in the non-clinical side.

I think the fact that you would be doing 100% tele and the rest of the staff would do some in-person work probably wouldn't matter as much as long as you are sold on the idea of doing tele to begin with. I thankfully had a lot of tele experience during residency/fellowship (telestroke), so I knew that this would be a career I want to be involved in going forward.

You probably just want to make sure that you are fully on board with the idea of doing tele full time - not just from a convenience factor, but also the work itself.

I hope that helps a little!

Reactions: 1 user
You probably just want to make sure that you are fully on board with the idea of doing tele full time - not just from a convenience factor, but also the work itself.
Completely agree with this. I would find it very hard to practice full-time tele but I know many docs who love this pandemic induced change. If I knew it was going to be for a year or two while I was out networking and such it would be a lot easier a pill to swallow but the problem with being in your own house for work all day is that you will definitely need to make an effort to get out and meet people in your community to facility the in-person job hunt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of us did 100% tele for a few months due to Covid. I hated it. About 70% of my patients hated it. Definitely felt isolated to a degree. I also know peers that will never go back to in-person. They love it. Everyone is different.

This concern is the same w.r.t. private practice in general, right? Unless you work at a facility, you don't really have many "colleagues". However, there are plenty of professional contacts you can build by networking with local psychiatrist societies and have practice group meetings, etc. I frankly prefer this latter option, as there's less politics and you choose who you socialize with.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd find it lonely, but I found outpatient lonely in general. It's why I do inpatient. Agree with everyone being different.

This concern is the same w.r.t. private practice in general, right? Unless you work at a facility, you don't really have many "colleagues". However, there are plenty of professional contacts you can build by networking with local psychiatrist societies and have practice group meetings, etc. I frankly prefer this latter option, as there's less politics and you choose who you socialize with.

Thank you all for your replies.

Sluox,

I had a question I wanted to ask you directly. Would you be able to send me a PM? Just wondering. Thanks!