Telemedicine Start-up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saletta2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, what are your opinions on investing time into such a company? Last year I was brought on for a telemedicine start up company as director of technology with a cardiologist I shadowed for 500+ hours. Its been focused on reducing hispanic disparities in healthcare. I've done a good amount work with it, sat in on meetings, developed programs, met with clients, worked with patients to seek input and such.

How heavily is this weighted into a medical application? Has anyone else done something like this that can offer their experience, whether they thought it helped them in the admissions process or not? For those in medical school, is there anytime to work on a passion like this or just too unrealistic?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd list it.

There's a huge movement in health care towards process improvement.

Hey everyone, what are your opinions on investing time into such a company? Last year I was brought on for a telemedicine start up company as director of technology with a cardiologist I shadowed for 500+ hours. Its been focused on reducing hispanic disparities in healthcare. I've done a good amount work with it, sat in on meetings, developed programs, met with clients, worked with patients to seek input and such.

How heavily is this weighted into a medical application? Has anyone else done something like this that can offer their experience, whether they thought it helped them in the admissions process or not? For those in medical school, is there anytime to work on a passion like this or just too unrealistic?
I think it depends on the medical school quite honestly. Some medical schools value diversity in what each of their students brings to the table and some only value scores and the pedigree of schools that one comes from. As someone who didnt go to an ivy league school for college and medical school, i started a successful telemedicine company and now am onto my third successful venture.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s going to be very difficult to have any kind of hands on involvement with a business in medical school.
I’m part owner of a business and I’ve had to step way back and become almost a silent partner. I might be able to do scheduling and payroll...and cover the occasional shift but that’s about it.

Reactions: 1 user
agree- almost no time first and second year, but i do feel like theres more time third and fourth year. also, if youre building a business you love, then spending free time on it doesnt feel like work. i have a ton of things going on but i truly love all of the endeavors im involved in so spending time on them outside of seeing patients both in person and via telemedicine doesnt feel like work