Telepsychiatry private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atreides

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking inspiration from @Sushirolls 's thread about his private practice.

I'm a PGY-5 in a two-year fellowship program (not CAP) and received my PD's permission to start up a small private practice on the side. Plan is to hit 5-10 clinical hours a week.

Launch date:
  • I figure the earlier the better but am also wondering if waiting till January may make things easier from a tax standpoint (I moved across states for fellowship and did do moonlighting in my old state). I'm leaning towards starting early November but may push to January if taxes look too complicated.
  • Got a domain name from Google, $12/year seems like a reasonable place to start.
  • Need to figure out website design. I'm trying to keep overhead minimal so thinking I'll try to design it myself using a template. Google templates look terrible so considering Wix vs Squarespace. Duda is another option I've come across (saw it mentioned on a psychiatry Facebook group). Definitely not going to use Wordpress. I have a small blog, non-medical, on Wordpress and am not a fan of it.
Logo
  • Won't spend too much money here but figure a nice logo would help with branding. I won't spend more than $50 on this.
Malpractice
  • I've begun to contact some companies, looks like it'll come down to Professional Risk Management Services vs The Doctor's Company. I'm leaning towards TDC, they've been much more responsive when I've contacted them.
EMR
  • I've been comparing a few, leaning towards Charm right now. Not super happy with any of the EMR's I've tried but my point of comparison is Epic so not a reasonable standard to compare them against. Luminello has better aesthetics than Charm but pricing with Charm is way better. I'm half tempted to stick with Excel and a Word document for charting and iPrescribe for prescribing but not sure that's kosher.
Insurance
  • I'm a bit conflicted about doing a cash-practice. The going rates in my area are so high that I wouldn't be able to afford it if I needed to see a psychiatrist regularly. I don't think a 5-10 clinical hours/week practice can really work with insurance though so going to go the cash route for now. Trying to decide how to price myself. It seems $300/hour is on the low end and $600/hour is on the high end in my area. But even $300/hour seems wild to me and I'm not sure how realistic it is to charge that much while still in fellowship.
PLLC
  • Need to create an actual business entity. Lol, I guess this is the most important thing to do but the one I've been dragging my feet on the most. I don't think I need a lawyer for this, should be able to do it myself online but again, been dragging my feet.
Accounting software
  • Don't know if I really need this with minimal overhead and no employees but fount Gusto which is free.
Email
  • Got upgraded for free to iCloud plus which comes with unlimited email addresses if you own a domain name. So guess I'll be using iCloud email.
Marketing
  • PsychologyToday?
Virtual Office address
  • From what I understand, I need a physical office address for DEA purposes. Need to research this more because I'm still not sure about the details.

So that's my initial rough sketch of where I'm at. Any feedback, tips, pointers, criticisms are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
1) You likely do not NEED to create a business entity, at least to start. You can just be a sole proprietorship and that will likely be most simple for the time being. A single person LLC and sole prop don't have much difference in terms of taxes or liability anyway. You probably won't really need "accounting software" given the limited amount you'll likely be bringing in and limited number of hours per week. you can keep track of your business income and expenses in a spreadsheet if you want but quickbooks is the go to small business software.

2) I (or anyone else with a psychologytoday profile) can give you a referral link for 6 months free if you PM your email address, just don't create a profile ahead of time or else it won't let you use the link. Psychologytoday is gonna be your best source of referrals I bet, since you're not going to likely want to spend the money to try to drive google search term traffic to your personal website. People who search on psychologytoday for psychiatrists in your state will get you on their search results if you put you're available for telemedicine for the whole state.

3) Agree that insurance makes no sense for this setup. Just set a cash rate, remember that since you're telepsych you won't really be in the same catchment area as you see locally, so rates may not be that high across your entire state. $300 is a pretty reasonable starting amount for intakes, you could go slightly lower if you want to try to capture patients more quickly. You do need to figure out credit card processing software and factor that into your expenses since you're completely virtual, you'll only want to accept credit cards. You'll need to figure out if you're also going to want to try to provide people with superbills or not for OON benefits.

4) You're missing the most important thing...what telemedicine platform are you gonna use? (lol). Doxy, Zoom, Google, Spruce, etc etc.

Reactions: 2 users
1. Luminello is free under 30 notes/month which you're unlikely to need more with 5-10h/week. You don't get full functionality and will need something to prescribe like iPrescribe.
2. I found Wix easy to use but have heard good things about squarespace also
3. cash only makes sense and your patients can use out of of network benefits if they have them.

Members don't see this ad :)
First I’d like to say kudos for doing your homework and having an actual plan. It is refreshing after reading posts where it is painfully obvious that the person has not done any homework, lacks business, tax and retirement knowledge.

You’ve gotten great advice so far. If you are starting at $300 an hour you can always increase as the market allows and you gain experience. Consider doing 90 minute evals which at $450 would be financially advantageous and add to the concierge experience. You could use an e-prescription service and do notes on Word if you want to and that might be a decent strategy if you are unsure about EMR. I have heard it can be hell to change notes over if you decide to use another EMR although with a small practice less so than a larger one.

I don’t think DEA requires an actual office but just an address. It is a plus to have an office in my opinion for a yearly in person AIMS for example. Consider joining a PsyD office one day a week or two days a month. They are generally willing to do that for a couple hundred dollars and their referrals can be helpful to feed your new practice. Best wishes and keep us posted.

Reactions: 6 users
Re: website. I agree that wix is very straightforward and user friendly. The big knock on it is that apparently it does poor job of SEO with Google. I have heard that only word press designed websites are optimized for this. I tried WordPress and as a layperson, it was an awful experience. It could be worth paying someone to design a WordPress site for you.

Since the intent of my wife's practice was only a half day on the weekend (it became so much more) I think you're on the right track based on what we did for her. She had a (low) attending salary to compensate so not exactly apples to apples but none the less.

Launch date:
  • Based on my wife's experience starting right about now last year you'll probably have a loss or only breakeven so I wouldn't really take taxes into account other than are you going to want to use an accountant for your taxes. Even though I'm a recovering CPA I hate taxes so we paid someone to do them for the first time... was like $450.
  • Google sites are indeed homely but it is very easy to use. I set up her website over a weekend (I'd never done it before) using it. She doesn't have any real competition (physician-wise) so it didn't have to be pretty. It's still pretty nice compared to the Psychologists/Therapists/NPs in town though. Sounds like you might need something a little more presentable.
Logo
  • Not sure $50 is realistic. Any graphic designer is going to charge you at least $50 an hour and it'll take more than an hour. Think the wife was charge $50/hr and in total it cost a little less than $600. So just an FYI but $600 is an important number because if you spend more than that you'll have to provide a 1099 for tax purposes... it's not a big deal and depending on your accounting software it can be easy but you need to at least keep it in mind.
Malpractice
  • We would have gone with TDC but they don't really cover our state.
EMR
  • So Luminello is expensive but man does it pre-screen like a mofo. There's the initial pre-screen which is helpful before you even approve them but after that we have all of her forms and questionnaire built into it and boy oh boy does that screen people out. They either stop half way through or they never start filling it out. Or they get all the way through it and never add their credit card which is required before they can be seen. And it always ends up being the folks we were iffy about based on the pre-screen anyway so it's probably for the best. It also integrates with Doxy.me for telemed so that's convenient as well.
  • Never tried Charm and people seem to like Simple Practice as well.
Insurance
  • Insurance is not right for a 5-10 hour practice so I wouldn't bother. The other thing is that how insurances will pay for tele services is not fully known. If I had to guess they'll try to pay less than in person when allowed to do so because they'll say there's less overhead and blah blah blah. Those insurance executive salary/bonuses don't pay themselves after all.
PLLC
  • Since you're a sole proprietor it'll probably be a disregarded entity so I wouldn't bother. We set up an LLC for her but it doesn't really do anything at this point. We could have waited until she bought her own building or something like that.
Accounting software
  • We use Quickbooks. Our accountant gets their own log in so they can just go in and help us figure out our quarterly estimated taxes and whatnot.
Email
  • No real advice here
Marketing
  • Psychology Today has been worthwhile. She's gotten 20-30 patients from it and that easily covers the $29.95 monthly fee.
  • I wouldn't do much else than that with a small practice. Once you get a few patients they'll tell their therapists about you and you'll start getting referrals from them if you do good work.
Virtual Office address
  • Not sure what your options are here. Others have already provided ideas.

That sounds like a solid plan! There are a lot of emotions that come with starting your own practice, as well as random questions/things to navigate that I wasn’t sure how to approach but figured out with the help of more general business coaching. I wasn’t able to find much in the Psychiatry space for actual coaching and I wish I would have had it when I first started! Because I wish I would have had it myself, I decided to offer coaching for private practice psychiatrists to help people create their dream clinics - feel free to reach out if you’re interested. And best of luck! Having your own practice opens up a new set of challenges to figure out but it’s also incredibly rewarding.

Reactions: 1 user
You can make your own logo on Canva absolutely free. It rivals anything I've seen a graphic designer produce, too

You can make your own logo on Canva absolutely free. It rivals anything I've seen a graphic designer produce, too
I know nothing about Canva but you probably want to read the terms and conditions very carefully for any online logo you're creating for yourself to use for a commercial endeavor. This might be a spot where an LLC comes in handy incase something goes awry ;).

I know nothing about Canva but you probably want to read the terms and conditions very carefully for any online logo you're creating for yourself to use for a commercial endeavor. This might be a spot where an LLC comes in handy incase something goes awry ;).

Might be true but canva is freeware and open sourced afaik. How will anyone know you've made it using canva vs photoshop vs ms paint?

Might be true but canva is freeware and open sourced afaik. How will anyone know you've made it using canva vs photoshop vs ms paint?
Like I said read the terms & conditions and that's where you find out. It might truly be freeware but anyone who is charging to do something isn't usually in the business of truly freeware. Anyway, people can do whatever they want but they really should read the terms and conditions instead of just clicking "I Agree" if they're using something for their business enterprise.

Like I said read the terms & conditions and that's where you find out. It might truly be freeware but anyone who is charging to do something isn't usually in the business of truly freeware. Anyway, people can do whatever they want but they really should read the terms and conditions instead of just clicking "I Agree" if they're using something for their business enterprise.

It's hard to debate this with someone that opened with "I know nothing about canva". It's okay. No need to go any further. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience thus far. This has been a great learning experience. Looking forward to seeing how this takes shape!

• Trying to decide how to price myself. It seems $300/hour is on the low end and $600/hour is on the high end in my area. But even $300/hour seems wild to me and I'm not sure how realistic it is to charge that much while still in fellowship.
I had co-fellows charging $1000 (!!!) an hour as pgy-6s and their timeslots were selling like hotcakes. Always easiest to set higher and then drop price or give discounts/sliding-scale as needed than the other way around. I would NOT start any lower than $600.

Shoot for the moon OP!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
$50 logo is unlikely. To get a good one, count on $500-1000 for the website based competitions. The sleep doc who subleases from me did it, and got a top notch. I got an okay one, but that was my own fault.

Most of what I could say is already buried in my thread.

Do think and reflect on the EMR. It'll be such a pain to change and pivot to something new. But if you go with something limited and simple as paper notes you scan to a secured encrypted hard drive, a GSuite / google drive, you can delay having to choose now. Get some time in first, then decide later what EMR you want, if at all.

I love Luminello. Luminello also has sort of profile page, that you could even use as your website. Don't even need to create one for now. It'll cover the basics of hours, rates, and your description, and you photo, too. Could lock in a website for future grand vision, but simply have it route to that page? Then years/months later, dump the money in for a quality site. Or not. There is one older cash doc in my area who just has a phone. No website. But this person is likely to retire any month now I suspect.

I'm a fan of quickbooks, and for accountant access. Sort of pricey, but its functional and quality product.

Congratulations! Good luck, and keep updating this thread.

It's hard to debate this with someone that opened with "I know nothing about canva". It's okay. No need to go any further. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience thus far. This has been a great learning experience. Looking forward to seeing how this takes shape!
Here you go... took 5 seconds to Google:

"With all of Canva's license agreements you are prohibited from the following activities: Producing final designs no larger than 600px by 800px; You cannot use the stock image as a part of a part of a trademark or logo design. You cannot remove any embedded copyright notices from the stock image."

So it seems you can't just use everything as it's not really freeware (have no idea what their stock images include or if you'd ever want to use them in a logo). Anyway, we've taken up enough of the OP's thread. Just trying to warn people to always read the T&Cs before you sign up for anything.

Edit: And I'm not just saying this to be combative. One of my good buddies was up until recently an IP Lawyer and he said you'd be surprised what his clients get cease and desist letters for and what he had to send them out for... lots of stuff like images that are copyrighted that no one realized were copyrighted.

Last edited:
99designs.com
and like 2 other or so very similar sites will have competitions for logo design that you get all rights to. And every pixel size you will want and every file format you will want. Basically, you pay money, but the competition and feedback you provide during the competition helps to create a quality logo that isn't copy right infringed.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it!

Update #1:

Launch date:

• Planning on launching in early October now, likely this upcoming week.
  • Ended up using Wix, it took the better part of a weekend to get it up and running but it looks nice (at least to me). I was scouting out other psychiatrists' websites from Psychology Today and gotta say, the bar is pretty low. Some of these websites remind me of MySpace pages from the early 2000's. I ended up paying 174.00 for a two year plan after a coupon so comes out to a little over $7/month for the next two years.
  • SEO seems to be fine on Wix, I googled my name and the website is already the third hit (it's been live since Monday).
Logo
  • Got one from Fiverr for $15. Feel meh about it. Pretty sure I could have designed an equivalent, if not better, one on Canva. Not too bothered right now since this is just a micropractice but if I expand in the future, will definitely need to pay an actual professional for a good logo.
Malpractice
  • The Doctor's Company no longer insures 100% telepsychiatry. They actually don't insure practices which do more than 10% telepsychiatry which I find surprising. Telepsychiatry is here to stay and I can't imagine any practice being sustainable in the future if they don't at least offer telepsychiatry for low-risk, routine follow ups. Contacted a few other malpractice companies but really leaning towards PRMS since they're the only ones who actually are giving me a quote without much hassle. Had one place that asked me to fill out a form online, then I got an email asking, "So do you want a quote or just have questions?" Uhhh, I literally clicked the "Get a quote" button on your website pal. Anyway, I responded to them that I wanted a quote and they responded back, "Ok, well, we can't give you a quote until we have more information. Please tell us xyz." If they're already so disorganized that they can't even give a proper quote, not sure I want to trust them with malpractice coverage. PRMS is coming out to about $1000/year for part-time telepsychiatry. Not bad at all I think (but my only point of reference is TDC).
EMR
  • Going to go with Charm. Their lowest paid tier has a pre-screening form. Luminello's free plan doesn't have a pre-screening form and their lowest paid tier is more than double Charm's price.
Insurance
  • Going to stick with cash. Starting out with $500/hour, let it run six weeks. If I don't get enough patients to fill 1 hour a week, I'll bump down to $400/hour, let it run six weeks. Same deal, bump down to $300/hour in 2022 if I can't fill enough. $300/hour is going to be the floor.
  • I'm a non-participating provided in Medicare, don't think it makes sense to opt out entirely right now since that's a 2 year decision. Medicare reimburses very well where I'm at, on par with my cash rate. From what I understand, if I'm a non-participating provider, I still have to bill Medicare if I see a patient and then Medicare sends any reimbursement directly to the patient? Starting out, I'm just not going to see Medicare patients because I'm not sure on the legalities and technicalities around all that, but something to look into if I go forward.
PLLC
  • Seems like I don't actually need to do this right now so that's a relief.
Accounting software
  • Don't need this it seems.
Email
  • Gmail is more convenient than iCloud, plus I'm more used to it. I'll probably stick with Gmail right now since patients aren't even seeing my email address (they'll use the portal).
Marketing
  • @calvnandhobbs68, I'd appreciate the referral link. I can't PM you though, it says member limits who can see the profile.
Virtual Office address
  • Won't be prescribing controlled substances so dodging this for now. Looks like the DEA has updated their regulations though and a virtual office address will not suffice for DEA registration, you need a physical office address.
Telemedicine Platform
  • Lol, can't believe I forgot this. Charm has a $20/month add-on but looks like it's just a Zoom skin. Patients needing to download an app is an extra step so think I'm going to skip it and go with Doxy.me. I'll start with the free plan and upgrade to a paid one if it's working fine.

• Ended up using Wix, it took the better part of a weekend to get it up and running but it looks nice (at least to me). I was scouting out other psychiatrists' websites from Psychology Today and gotta say, the bar is pretty low. Some of these websites remind me of MySpace pages from the early 2000's. I ended up paying 174.00 for a two year plan after a coupon so comes out to a little over $7/month for the next two years.
  • SEO seems to be fine on Wix, I googled my name and the website is already the third hit (it's been live since Monday).

Telemedicine Platform
  • Lol, can't believe I forgot this. Charm has a $20/month add-on but looks like it's just a Zoom skin. Patients needing to download an app is an extra step so think I'm going to skip it and go with Doxy.me. I'll start with the free plan and upgrade to a paid one if it's working fine.

Doxy paid is definitely better than Doxy.me free in my experience. Doxy.me free is only SD video and doesn't allow things like file sharing. Has also been smoother for me than the free version I used in fellowship (free version would often freeze up for me for some reason after like 10-15 min).

For SEO for the website, remember that you have to think about it from the perspective of the patient. Since you aren't on any insurance panels, patients will likely have no idea who you are and will not be searching for you by name. You want to be something that pops up quickly when they search "psychiatrist/psychiatry referral in XXX". That's why I think psychologytoday is actually going to drive more referrals right now for you because they kind of do this for you (you'll show up on their page when people do that search, which tends to drive them to that page. Reach out to therapy groups or psychiatrists in the area as well (especially ones that take limited/no insurance since that's the patient population you'll be capturing) to let them know you're available and have a completely open schedule.

i have noticed no difference btw doxy paid and unpaid. It's great in terms of being user friendly, but the connection issues undermine this conferencing platform significantly in my experience. Not sure if it is an issue with my internet connection but i have had much more success with connection reliability with zoom.

Reactions: 1 users
i have noticed no difference btw doxy paid and unpaid. It's great in terms of being user friendly, but the connection issues undermine this conferencing platform significantly in my experience. Not sure if it is an issue with my internet connection but i have had much more success with connection reliability with zoom.

Also realized I’ve been using a wired connection recently so that might be the difference.

Agreed. I tried the paid version and actually found it worse.

I'm a PGY-5 in a two-year fellowship program (not CAP) and received my PD's permission to start up a small private practice on the side. Plan is to hit 5-10 clinical hours a week.

Launch date:
  • I figure the earlier the better but am also wondering if waiting till January may make things easier from a tax standpoint (I moved across states for fellowship and did do moonlighting in my old state). I'm leaning towards starting early November but may push to January if taxes look too complicated.
  • Got a domain name from Google, $12/year seems like a reasonable place to start.
  • Need to figure out website design. I'm trying to keep overhead minimal so thinking I'll try to design it myself using a template. Google templates look terrible so considering Wix vs Squarespace. Duda is another option I've come across (saw it mentioned on a psychiatry Facebook group). Definitely not going to use Wordpress. I have a small blog, non-medical, on Wordpress and am not a fan of it.
Logo
  • Won't spend too much money here but figure a nice logo would help with branding. I won't spend more than $50 on this.
Malpractice
  • I've begun to contact some companies, looks like it'll come down to Professional Risk Management Services vs The Doctor's Company. I'm leaning towards TDC, they've been much more responsive when I've contacted them.
EMR
  • I've been comparing a few, leaning towards Charm right now. Not super happy with any of the EMR's I've tried but my point of comparison is Epic so not a reasonable standard to compare them against. Luminello has better aesthetics than Charm but pricing with Charm is way better. I'm half tempted to stick with Excel and a Word document for charting and iPrescribe for prescribing but not sure that's kosher.
Insurance
  • I'm a bit conflicted about doing a cash-practice. The going rates in my area are so high that I wouldn't be able to afford it if I needed to see a psychiatrist regularly. I don't think a 5-10 clinical hours/week practice can really work with insurance though so going to go the cash route for now. Trying to decide how to price myself. It seems $300/hour is on the low end and $600/hour is on the high end in my area. But even $300/hour seems wild to me and I'm not sure how realistic it is to charge that much while still in fellowship.
PLLC
  • Need to create an actual business entity. Lol, I guess this is the most important thing to do but the one I've been dragging my feet on the most. I don't think I need a lawyer for this, should be able to do it myself online but again, been dragging my feet.
Accounting software
  • Don't know if I really need this with minimal overhead and no employees but fount Gusto which is free.
Email
  • Got upgraded for free to iCloud plus which comes with unlimited email addresses if you own a domain name. So guess I'll be using iCloud email.
Marketing
  • PsychologyToday?
Virtual Office address
  • From what I understand, I need a physical office address for DEA purposes. Need to research this more because I'm still not sure about the details.

So that's my initial rough sketch of where I'm at. Any feedback, tips, pointers, criticisms are appreciated.

Launch date:
Logo
Malpractice
EMR
Insurance
PLLC
Accounting software
Email
Marketing
  • PsychologyToday?
Virtual Office address

Gusto is for payroll, which is only needed if you are hiring employees or choose to get taxed as an S corp. Talk to an accountant to verify. They might tell you to get taxed as an S corp but it might not be financially worth the headache and added accounting costs when you’re part time. As you make more money, it will save some money in taxes.

For accounting, many use excel or quick books online.

1. Luminello is free under 30 notes/month which you're unlikely to need more with 5-10h/week. You don't get full functionality and will need something to prescribe like iPrescribe.
2. I found Wix easy to use but have heard good things about squarespace also
3. cash only makes sense and your patients can use out of of network benefits if they have them.
Have you found anything for writing labs? iPrescribe seems great for meds, what about something similar for labs?

Have you found anything for writing labs? iPrescribe seems great for meds, what about something similar for labs?
I used to print a generic slip when I had a paid luminello and get results faxed to Doximity fax. You can’t do this with the free version but you can google to find a generic pdf that you can modify and give to patients to take to their lab of choice.

I have an account with Quest. I go to their online portal and send the lab request. I upload a copy of the order to my patient’s portal in Simple Practice.

Update #1:

Launch date:

• Planning on launching in early October now, likely this upcoming week.
Logo
  • Got one from Fiverr for $15. Feel meh about it. Pretty sure I could have designed an equivalent, if not better, one on Canva. Not too bothered right now since this is just a micropractice but if I expand in the future, will definitely need to pay an actual professional for a good logo.
Malpractice
  • The Doctor's Company no longer insures 100% telepsychiatry. They actually don't insure practices which do more than 10% telepsychiatry which I find surprising. Telepsychiatry is here to stay and I can't imagine any practice being sustainable in the future if they don't at least offer telepsychiatry for low-risk, routine follow ups. Contacted a few other malpractice companies but really leaning towards PRMS since they're the only ones who actually are giving me a quote without much hassle. Had one place that asked me to fill out a form online, then I got an email asking, "So do you want a quote or just have questions?" Uhhh, I literally clicked the "Get a quote" button on your website pal. Anyway, I responded to them that I wanted a quote and they responded back, "Ok, well, we can't give you a quote until we have more information. Please tell us xyz." If they're already so disorganized that they can't even give a proper quote, not sure I want to trust them with malpractice coverage. PRMS is coming out to about $1000/year for part-time telepsychiatry. Not bad at all I think (but my only point of reference is TDC).
EMR
  • Going to go with Charm. Their lowest paid tier has a pre-screening form. Luminello's free plan doesn't have a pre-screening form and their lowest paid tier is more than double Charm's price.
Insurance
  • Going to stick with cash. Starting out with $500/hour, let it run six weeks. If I don't get enough patients to fill 1 hour a week, I'll bump down to $400/hour, let it run six weeks. Same deal, bump down to $300/hour in 2022 if I can't fill enough. $300/hour is going to be the floor.
  • I'm a non-participating provided in Medicare, don't think it makes sense to opt out entirely right now since that's a 2 year decision. Medicare reimburses very well where I'm at, on par with my cash rate. From what I understand, if I'm a non-participating provider, I still have to bill Medicare if I see a patient and then Medicare sends any reimbursement directly to the patient? Starting out, I'm just not going to see Medicare patients because I'm not sure on the legalities and technicalities around all that, but something to look into if I go forward.
PLLC
  • Seems like I don't actually need to do this right now so that's a relief.
Accounting software
  • Don't need this it seems.
Email
  • Gmail is more convenient than iCloud, plus I'm more used to it. I'll probably stick with Gmail right now since patients aren't even seeing my email address (they'll use the portal).
Marketing
  • @calvnandhobbs68, I'd appreciate the referral link. I can't PM you though, it says member limits who can see the profile.
Virtual Office address
  • Won't be prescribing controlled substances so dodging this for now. Looks like the DEA has updated their regulations though and a virtual office address will not suffice for DEA registration, you need a physical office address.
Telemedicine Platform
So, it's been about a month. As someone contemplating doing telepsychiatry private practice, I'm wondering how is it going?

I have an account with Quest. I go to their online portal and send the lab request. I upload a copy of the order to my patient’s portal in Simple Practice.

In case anyone was interested in iPrescribe, I recently started using a macbook and I'm able to download the app onto the OS.

So, it's been about a month. As someone contemplating doing telepsychiatry private practice, I'm wondering how is it going?

Well, officially launched only about two weeks ago, there was some back and forth with malpractice insurance and I had to change the practice name to my own name. 0 patients so far. My fellowship has gotten busier this month and I also took a week off for vacation so it's been for the best. I need to tweak my intake form and update some of the practice policies though so I'm not in a rush to get patients. I'm hoping to get those ironed out and then maybe cold-email some local therapists introducing myself.

Hi Atreides,

I came across this post and wanted to add my 2 cents. FYI I’m an integrative psychiatrist in private practice in Los Angeles. Harvard undergrad, USC med school, UCLA residency. I also have self-taught myself a lot about business.

First of all, don’t be discouraged that you don’t have patients yet. To have a private practice is essentially to be an entrepreneur, and to be a successful entrepreneur you have to have an iron will and not get discouraged prematurely. Most psychiatrists (and physicians in general) suck at business -- so you only need to be average to be successful. If you are above average, you can be very successful and also feel very rewarded by the amount of impact you have with patients.

Setting Fees:

The first advice I want to give you is to reverse your thinking about how you’re setting your fees. Your thought process is “set high fees and lower them if I can’t get patients,” but instead it should be “set moderate to high fees and if I don’t get enough patients, increase my value.” People do not pay cash for a psychiatrist when they can get the same service covered by insurance -- they pay cash when either an insurance-based psychiatrist isn’t available OR when they want a level of service they can’t get elsewhere. You want to be in the latter category.

I have been surprised to discover there really is no fee that patients won’t pay, as long as you provide enough value (AND clearly communicate that value on your online assets, such as your website, but can also be youtube videos, social media, etc). When I started I charged $375 for an intake… now I charge up to $1500. And my practice is full and I have a waiting list.

Mentally, it’s easier to start with lower or moderate fees and then increase them as you become more confident in your ability to provide value. If you start with fees that are too high, you may give up too soon. But I promise you that the limiting factor is not your fees, but the patient’s perceived value of what you do (and their ability to find you).

Distractions:

Next… anything about needing the perfect website, needing to incorporate, talking to an accountant, to a lawyer, needing the perfect office policies, or any of this ridiculous back and forth about whether you’d be violating Canva’s TOC is a distraction. The ONLY important thing is that you GET PATIENTS IN THE DOOR (metaphorical door if you’re doing video only).

As physicians we can get obsessed with dotting our i’s and crossing out t’s because it feels easier and “productive,” but really what you need to do is put yourself out there and do the uncomfortable task of marketing yourself so patients can find you. You can figure all of that other stuff AFTER you’ve had your first patient.

When I got my first patient (back in the day when we did things in person) I didn’t have office furniture, a billing system, or an EHR. I figured all of that stuff after the fact. Yes, it feels more stressful (and slightly chaotic) to do it this way, but you waste WAY less time and you make progress faster. Focus on figuring out things “just in time” rather than “just in case.”

Marketing & Your Unique Selling Proposition:

Now I want to cover another topic that hasn’t been mentioned in other comments… your Unique Selling Proposition, or USP. This is a general business term. Essentially, why should a patient see you are opposed to any other psychiatrist? If you are not clear on what makes you and your practice unique, and you don’t communicate that clearly in your online assets or conversations with patients, then you are a (highly-trained) commodity.

If there is nothing that differentiates you then you will be getting the most annoying kinds of patients -- those that are shopping based on cost, lack of boundaries, willingness to prescribe controlled substances, etc. The patients you want are the ones who are shopping based on value… how much you can help them, and how positive you make the treatment process and relationship.

Getting Patients:

The fastest way to get patients, like others have already said, is Psychology Today. Make a profile that’s better than your competition. Have a clear photo that’s professional, and communicate your USP and the benefits of working with you as well as your “features,” i.e. specific treatment modalities. Don’t use medical jargon -- use the language that your patients speak.

I don’t recommend Google ads right out of the gate. Yes, you can definitely get patients and build a practice with Google ads, but it has a learning curve, and people give up to soon. To start Google ads you have to be mentally prepared to lose $500-1000 on learning before you make a positive ROI (return on investment).

The first phone conversation you have with a potential new patient is essentially a sales conversation where you are communicating your value (it’s not just about screening out bad patients). These conversations are very valuable in the beginning for learning, even if all of those patients you speak to don’t end up scheduling. Later on when you’re busier, you want to be more aggressive about screening out those who won’t schedule. Now I make it very hard for patients to schedule with me (they have to click on a couple links, check boxes that they’ve read my fees, fill out an online form, etc), but that’s because my practice is full and I don’t have time for a lot of non-clinical phone calls.

The conversation about how to have value is a longer one, but essentially you need to:
  1. Sell the patients what they want so you can give them what they need
  2. Value the relationship above all else… good treatment comes from a good relationship
  3. Provide a level of service and care beyond what others can provide (I’m not talking about appeasing or catering to unreasonable patients, that’s something else)

To answer some of your other questions:

EHR: Luminello. I don’t know about Charm, but a couple of dollars extra is worth spending if it will save you time and reduce your headache.

Telepsych platform: Doxy free - I’m 4+ years into my practice and I still use Doxy free, and just pay for a $10 day pass on the days that I need it.

Website: Wordpress absolutely is the best, but it has a learning curve. Maybe in 6 months to a year you can upgrade, but Wix is fine for now.

Logo: who cares, I didn’t have a logo until I was 4 years into my practice. Patients don’t care about your logo or website design, they care about your website copy/content (ie the words).

Insurance: Absolutely not, it will not be worth the admin to accept insurance for such a small practice.

Email: gmail is fine for short term but ultimately you want to use Google Apps for business (maybe $5/month to have a domain-branded email).

Corp: Not needed. Be grossing at least $10k/month before you start a corp. Benefits are for taxes only, not liability.

Billing: Credit card only. Multiple good options for merchant account, I use quickbooks (for merchant and creating invoices, not for accounting).

Intake Forms: IntakeQ. They do billing too. Yes, Luminello does intake forms but in private practice, time = money and intakeQ is much more seamless. I use this for scheduling and email reminders as well. They also do billing via Stripe. Don't be penny wise but pound foolish by trying to save a few dollars here and there on your software solutions, because the right solutions will save you a TON of time.

I hope this was helpful and good luck!

Elana

Reactions: 23 users
Distractions:

Next… anything about needing the perfect website, needing to incorporate, talking to an accountant, to a lawyer, needing the perfect office policies, or any of this ridiculous back and forth about whether you’d be violating Canva’s TOC is a distraction. The ONLY important thing is that you GET PATIENTS IN THE DOOR (metaphorical door if you’re doing video only).

As physicians we can get obsessed with dotting our i’s and crossing out t’s because it feels easier and “productive,” but really what you need to do is put yourself out there and do the uncomfortable task of marketing yourself so patients can find you. You can figure all of that other stuff AFTER you’ve had your first patient.

When I got my first patient (back in the day when we did things in person) I didn’t have office furniture, a billing system, or an EHR. I figured all of that stuff after the fact. Yes, it feels more stressful (and slightly chaotic) to do it this way, but you waste WAY less time and you make progress faster. Focus on figuring out things “just in time” rather than “just in case.”
I think this is the biggest part of being an entrepreneur, jumping into the water. Being in a licensed, regulated field, all the paperwork and tasks to set up a practice can get overwhelming. We get thrown into so many new uncharted situations during our training for which we are scarcely prepared, and yet when it comes to starting a practice, many psychiatrists suddenly get uncomfortable.

Reactions: 3 users
Three Month Update:

TL;DR: Not going great. Will definitely need to make some changes.

Income: $1000
Expenses: $2114.02 (half of this is malpractice)
Net profit: (-1114.02)

So the practice has been off to an extremely slow start and has had a few hiccups. I spent more hours than I care to count optimizing work flow and patient trajectory. Created a few dummy patient accounts and walked through the entire process from landing on my website to getting an after visit summary. Made quite a few tweaks along the way. I wasn’t too worried about not getting patients at first because most of my time was being spent tweaking that process and updating my templates/intake questionnaires anyway.

First patient was in mid-January. Found me through Psychology Today. I happened to be the closest physician to them who had availability. I found that interesting though, despite looking for telepsychiatry, they were still searching locally, not statewide.

Second patient was in late January. They’re a physician, had posted on a Physician FB group looking for a psychiatrist with immediate availability. A few psychiatrists posted, I had the soonest availability it seems. I ended up diagnosing them with ADHD. Well, the problem is that my EPCS had not been activated. I’d done everything I needed to do but hadn’t really followed up with it because I wasn’t really expecting to be prescribing controlled substances very much. I’ll spare the details but in short, I ended up having to contact Charm daily in order to actually get it activated. And by daily, I mean every day until like three days ago. In the meantime, I ended up paying for Luminello in order to just have the ability to e-prescribe controlled substances. The customer service at Charm is trash tier. The average McDonald’s worker has better customer service skills. I did Luminello fully planning on switching over but I actually do find Charm to be the better EMR. And I’ve already sunk hours optimizing the patient flow and templates and questionnaires on Charm. Anyway, that was an extra $170 for Luminello.

And those are the only two patients I’ve seen. In terms of marketing, I reached out to local therapists that I found on Psychology Today, letting them know I opened up a practice, I value a collaborative approach, and I have immediate openings. Crickets. Out of the 30 that I contacted, three acknowledged my email. No referrals from any yet. I did find a psychologist that I thought would be a good fit for my physician patient and reached out to her personally. Set up a zoom call, introduced myself, talked to her for a bit. She has experience treating high functioning professionals with ADHD and has experience with a specific sociocultural angle relevant to my patient so I passed on her contact info to my physician patient who appreciated it.

I’ve gotten about a dozen phone calls/emails through PsychologyToday. About 2-3 were just not appropriate for telemedicine (severe psychotic disorder, parent contacting me), one was a pediatric case that I declined (I’m not CAP), and the rest were looking for someone who took their insurance.

In short, two patients in three months. Not a great start. So trying to see what I need to change. Some thoughts I have.

Option 1: Keep things the same in the practice, just focus on marketing.

Clearly, just PsychologyToday is not enough marketing. I’ve gotten one patient through that. Emailing therapists I thought would open up a lot of referrals but that hasn’t worked out either. Maybe contact PCP’s? I wonder if the problem is medium. Email is too impersonal? But with Covid, I’m not sure what the better option would be. I guess I could also try the Google Ads approach, SEO optimization, that stuff.

Option 2: Lower my rates, hoping that attracts more patients.

I’m skeptical that this will make a difference. A lot of people were looking for an in-network psychiatrist, they wouldn’t pay cash even if it I halved my rates. I also don’t want to drop my rates so low that I might as well have just picked up some moonlighting shifts and saved myself the headaches of setting up a practice. I can easily get $200/hour by moonlighting at the local ER. I went through PsychologyToday and my rates are in line with most other psychiatrists in the area. A bit higher than some, a bit lower than others. I’m probably right around 50th percentile. Also used this website: Welcome to FAIR Health. I’m actually under what they consider normal compensation for 99214+90833’s in my area.

Option 3: Take insurance.

I’ve been trying to avoid this because, well, on the reasons psychiatrists avoid insurance. But it’s beginning to look more and more like a good idea. I was thinking of paneling with one commercial insurance and seeing how it goes. Medicare reimburses pretty well in my area too so maybe one commercial (Aetna?) plus Medicare.

I’m leaning towards Option 3, especially since my long term plan is to continue to grow this practice after finishing fellowship, likely transitioning from just telepsychiatry to in-person as well. I also don’t like the feeling of turning away so many people who are looking for a psychiatrist but can’t pay a few hundred dollars for an evaluation.

I guess I’ll mull on this and post an update in 3 months with whichever option I end up going with. Any thoughts or feedback is welcome.

• Wow
  • Hmm
1. Any therapist that just emails or mails cards goes straight to my trash bin. I don’t know you. I haven’t seen you. If I make a referral to a terrible counselor, it is reflected badly on me. Same goes for the physicians near me with maybe 1 exception that I’ve spoken too on the phone that seemed rather knowledgeable. Covid hasn’t changed that. This can backfire as well. I’ve met some counselors in person that seemed terrible to talk too and also threw those cards away.

2. While I find it easy 60% of the time to transition in-person follow-ups to tele, few want tele initial evals. The first appointment is about trust and building rapport. If you aren’t offering in-person, I’d strongly suggest an excellent website with videos. The mission is for patients to start gaining confidence in you before the appointment.

3. Most tele companies out there spend little time with patients and have a limited formulary. Are you emphasizing the opposite? From social media, I know which online company will hand out a z-pack, viagra, etc. after a 2 minute consultation. When a pediatrician offers similar tele visits, I initially wonder how we will accurately diagnose otitis media and a bunch of other stuff. The diagnoses must be limited. Does your practice have limitations or quick visits like the rest? How clearly do you portray that?

4. Cash only is a premium product. How much money outside of PT are you spending to educate others on how you are better?

Reactions: 7 users
I am a psychologist in private practice and frequently refer to local psychiatrists. I can only speak for myself, but I would personally love it if a psychiatrist reached out to me and offered to have a networking zoom call. When I opened up my practice, a more senior psychologist reached out to me because she had some referrals she wanted to make and wanted to get to know me before she just handed my name out. We had a 30 minute zoom call (pandemic was in full swing) and talked about our practices and ourselves. It created a great professional connection for both of us.

The no insurance thing is likely a barrier for many. In my area, many of the child psychiatrists don’t take insurance and I have a heck of a time convincing clients to see them. But, I do take insurance so I probably see a group more adverse to cash pay than others. In your networking with therapists, I would suggest focusing on folks who are cash pay themselves.

I will also add that when I have sought psychiatrists for my own family members, I have ended up with cash psychiatrists. The big factor was that the insurance folks saw them for two minutes. The cash docs spent a full 30 minutes with them. The cash docs were also willing to do things like return phone calls and collaborate with therapists. I think those are your selling points.

I hope something here is helpful. Good luck!

Cash practice is definitley doable but can take a while to get to even part time status. If you need full time income and aren't interested in working another job while your business is growing accepting insurance in my area pretty much guarantees a full house within a few months. If you don't have an assistant I find it helpful to actually answer the phone when possible. Taking a few minutes getting to know prospective clients is likely better for retention than having them leave voice mail or register through a generic website. Remember boutique pracctice is about the personalized experience so you are sellng you. See if any of the psychologists or therapists in your area who are cash also will sublet an office to you for a day a week. You will have an office to offer those who don't want telemedicine and also create relationships with your suite mates who can refer patients to you. If you are still working inpatient get to know the therapists/social workers on the unit because many have a private practice side gig and could send business your way. I also get referrals from the ED social workers who are attempting to find services for those who don't need to be inpatient. Get to know other the cash psychaitrists in your area. Its nice to have a network of colleagues to socialize with and I get a fair number of referrals from a psychiatrist who is well established and often booking months out. My best jobs and referrals have almost all come from my work contacts which naturally grow as you spend more time in the field.

Well, the problem is that my EPCS had not been activated. I’d done everything I needed to do but hadn’t really followed up with it because I wasn’t really expecting to be prescribing controlled substances very much. I’ll spare the details but in short, I ended up having to contact Charm daily in order to actually get it activated. And by daily, I mean every day until like three days ago. In the meantime, I ended up paying for Luminello in order to just have the ability to e-prescribe controlled substances. The customer service at Charm is trash tier. The average McDonald’s worker has better customer service skills. I did Luminello fully planning on switching over but I actually do find Charm to be the better EMR.
I'm trying to decide between Charm and Luminello. What is it about Charm that makes you feel it is a better EMR than Luminello? Would Charm + iPrescribe offset Charm's terrible customer service?

I did find a psychologist that I thought would be a good fit for my physician patient and reached out to her personally. Set up a zoom call, introduced myself, talked to her for a bit. She has experience treating high functioning professionals with ADHD and has experience with a specific sociocultural angle relevant to my patient so I passed on her contact info to my physician patient who appreciated it.

Emailing therapists I thought would open up a lot of referrals but that hasn’t worked out either.

Wait, you are charging cash, presumably hundreds of dollars per visit, but not doing therapy? I assume your physician-patient has good insurance and wants something beyond the typical 99214-90833 visit from a $20 copay insurance psychiatrist.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I appreciate it.
I'm trying to decide between Charm and Luminello. What is it about Charm that makes you feel it is a better EMR than Luminello? Would Charm + iPrescribe offset Charm's terrible customer service?

Charm has many more features for less money. Text reminders, better patient portal, better patient scheduling interface, etc. I'm paying half of what I would pay for Luminello and getting these features. iPrescribe wouldn't make a difference. My specific issue just happened to be setting up EPCS. Basically, whatever roadblock you hit, that's when you'll notice the poor customer service. For someone people, it's setting up prescribing at all. For others, it's upgrading between tiers. For others it's credit card integration. And on and on. Apparently, they weren't even making it clear to users that their free tier is not HIPAA compliant. Kind of a big deal when the primary reason a lot of people go with charm is the low startup cost. I got lucky in that I considered patient self-scheduling to be mandatory and paid for the higher tier from the beginning. Otherwise, would have been using their free tier not realizing that it's not HIPAA compliant.

Wait, you are charging cash, presumably hundreds of dollars per visit, but not doing therapy? I assume your physician-patient has good insurance and wants something beyond the typical 99214-90833 visit from a $20 copay insurance psychiatrist.

No, I'm not doing therapy sessions. It makes no sense for a patient to pay me my rates for therapy when they could pay half of that for therapy with a psychologist that has far more therapy training than I do.

No, I'm not doing therapy sessions. It makes no sense for a patient to pay me my rates for therapy when they could pay half of that for therapy with a psychologist that has far more therapy training than I do.
I felt the same way starting out but some patients who are coming to me want both services under one provider rather than dealing with two separate people. I've had one patient so far who left their current therapist to do therapy (+ meds) with me instead despite my rates being more than triple of their current therapist.

Luminello customer services, even though based on an online platform is good and responsive.
Cash patients are more likely to want therapy and meds with same person.
I've called and reached out to therapists in the past and they wouldn't even call me back. So not surprised seeing this rate of growth and difficulties you have. My practice is insurance based with a physical location and very similar.
I've also observed people in general still look for a local geographic option over a telemedicine option.
I've had a few people come to me because of the poor service/quality of the telemedicine firm they established with first.

Last edited:
Tele only cash practice w/ a young doc that isn't leveraging connections to the area seems tough to me. My colleagues in cash PP all have physical locations and usually do the intake in person, really hard to form a connection and get the credit card out for several hundred with someone you have never seen in-person. I know people can succeed in this manner but it does seem much more complicated than having an in-person presence. Very interested in the ongoing updates, thank you for contributing this to the forum.

Last edited:
Tele only cash practice w/ a young doc that isn't leveraging connections to the area seems tough to me. My colleagues in cash PP all have physical locations and usually do the intake in person, really hard to form a connection and get the credit card out for several hundred with someone you have never seen in-person. I know people can succeed in this manner but it does seem much more complicated than have an in-person presence. Very interested in the ongoing updates, thank you for contributing this to the forum.
Yup. I know a lot of people who have set up telepsych only cash practices during the pandemic and they are struggling. Many have multiple licenses (up to 10) which tells you a lot about how they are struggling to fill. Having multiple licenses doesn’t seem to help much either. Psychiatry, including telepsych, is still a local business. People contact me because they have been referred or recommended to see me or because of my subspecialty which there are very few people. So telepsych works there (though I have a physical location). Also because of all these companies proving crappy telepsych services telepsych only is not synonymous with quality. While there are pts who want vídeo only, many pts want in person care and even if they don’t, want to know it’s an option. While there is a huge demand for psychiatric services you can’t just set up shop and hope people will come. There also isn’t a huge demand for cash only - you have to be providing quality. My cash rate is 2k for a specialist consult and the only reasons anyone is willing to pay that is because they have been recommended me by a trusted source, are dissatisfied with their current treatment, and have little to no alternative options.

Charm has many more features for less money. Text reminders, better patient portal, better patient scheduling interface, etc. I'm paying half of what I would pay for Luminello and getting these features. iPrescribe wouldn't make a difference. My specific issue just happened to be setting up EPCS. Basically, whatever roadblock you hit, that's when you'll notice the poor customer service.
Wow, terrible customer service. But lower cost, more features. Sounds like a tough decision between Charm and Luminello.

But therapy is the sine qua non of cash psychiatry. You can get therapy training at your local institute if you feel your therapy training was not sufficient. However, if you don't want to do therapy, then insurance practice may be your cup of tea rather than cash psychiatry.

Wow, terrible customer service. But lower cost, more features. Sounds like a tough decision between Charm and Luminello.
I'm really surprised that Charm is cheaper. When I was reviewing them, they were pretty similar in price, especially with the resident/fellow 50% discount with Luminello. I do agree that Charm has some more features though but it came with a price to add on each feature. Luminello fixed my EPCS pretty quickly.

Three Month Update:

TL;DR: Not going great. Will definitely need to make some changes.

Income: $1000
Expenses: $2114.02 (half of this is malpractice)
Net profit: (-1114.02)

So the practice has been off to an extremely slow start and has had a few hiccups. I spent more hours than I care to count optimizing work flow and patient trajectory. Created a few dummy patient accounts and walked through the entire process from landing on my website to getting an after visit summary. Made quite a few tweaks along the way. I wasn’t too worried about not getting patients at first because most of my time was being spent tweaking that process and updating my templates/intake questionnaires anyway.

First patient was in mid-January. Found me through Psychology Today. I happened to be the closest physician to them who had availability. I found that interesting though, despite looking for telepsychiatry, they were still searching locally, not statewide.

Second patient was in late January. They’re a physician, had posted on a Physician FB group looking for a psychiatrist with immediate availability. A few psychiatrists posted, I had the soonest availability it seems. I ended up diagnosing them with ADHD. Well, the problem is that my EPCS had not been activated. I’d done everything I needed to do but hadn’t really followed up with it because I wasn’t really expecting to be prescribing controlled substances very much. I’ll spare the details but in short, I ended up having to contact Charm daily in order to actually get it activated. And by daily, I mean every day until like three days ago. In the meantime, I ended up paying for Luminello in order to just have the ability to e-prescribe controlled substances. The customer service at Charm is trash tier. The average McDonald’s worker has better customer service skills. I did Luminello fully planning on switching over but I actually do find Charm to be the better EMR. And I’ve already sunk hours optimizing the patient flow and templates and questionnaires on Charm. Anyway, that was an extra $170 for Luminello.

And those are the only two patients I’ve seen. In terms of marketing, I reached out to local therapists that I found on Psychology Today, letting them know I opened up a practice, I value a collaborative approach, and I have immediate openings. Crickets. Out of the 30 that I contacted, three acknowledged my email. No referrals from any yet. I did find a psychologist that I thought would be a good fit for my physician patient and reached out to her personally. Set up a zoom call, introduced myself, talked to her for a bit. She has experience treating high functioning professionals with ADHD and has experience with a specific sociocultural angle relevant to my patient so I passed on her contact info to my physician patient who appreciated it.

I’ve gotten about a dozen phone calls/emails through PsychologyToday. About 2-3 were just not appropriate for telemedicine (severe psychotic disorder, parent contacting me), one was a pediatric case that I declined (I’m not CAP), and the rest were looking for someone who took their insurance.

In short, two patients in three months. Not a great start. So trying to see what I need to change. Some thoughts I have.

Option 1: Keep things the same in the practice, just focus on marketing.

Clearly, just PsychologyToday is not enough marketing. I’ve gotten one patient through that. Emailing therapists I thought would open up a lot of referrals but that hasn’t worked out either. Maybe contact PCP’s? I wonder if the problem is medium. Email is too impersonal? But with Covid, I’m not sure what the better option would be. I guess I could also try the Google Ads approach, SEO optimization, that stuff.

Option 2: Lower my rates, hoping that attracts more patients.

I’m skeptical that this will make a difference. A lot of people were looking for an in-network psychiatrist, they wouldn’t pay cash even if it I halved my rates. I also don’t want to drop my rates so low that I might as well have just picked up some moonlighting shifts and saved myself the headaches of setting up a practice. I can easily get $200/hour by moonlighting at the local ER. I went through PsychologyToday and my rates are in line with most other psychiatrists in the area. A bit higher than some, a bit lower than others. I’m probably right around 50th percentile. Also used this website: Welcome to FAIR Health. I’m actually under what they consider normal compensation for 99214+90833’s in my area.

I’ve been trying to avoid this because, well, on the reasons psychiatrists avoid insurance. But it’s beginning to look more and more like a good idea. I was thinking of paneling with one commercial insurance and seeing how it goes. Medicare reimburses pretty well in my area too so maybe one commercial (Aetna?) plus Medicare.

I’m leaning towards Option 3, especially since my long term plan is to continue to grow this practice after finishing fellowship, likely transitioning from just telepsychiatry to in-person as well. I also don’t like the feeling of turning away so many people who are looking for a psychiatrist but can’t pay a few hundred dollars for an evaluation.

I guess I’ll mull on this and post an update in 3 months with whichever option I end up going with. Any thoughts or feedback is welcome.

Atreides where are you located (like geographic area)?

I understand the impulse to get all your ducks in a row before starting your marketing efforts but this is typically the reverse order you want to do it, because dialing in your marketing strategies takes time. I say this to be encouraging because if you haven't really been focusing on marketing then it makes sense you're not getting patients.

Having 10% of the therapists you contact reply is actually a really high response rate. How personalized are the emails you are sending? If your email looks like spam, it will get sent to spam. It's better to target fewer therapists in a highly personalized way than target a bunch in an unfocused way. Thirty is not enough. Contact 100 people before you get discouraged. And even then, don't get discouraged, just reformulate your game plan.

Are you networking with other psychiatrists? Look in your geographic area for psychiatrists who have cash-pay practices like the one you want to have but are more advanced in their careers. Contact them and pay them for supervision or mentorship. They have established referral sources and will send you their overflow. My practice is full and I'm always looking for psychiatrists to send potential patients to, and I even list my mentees on my website.

So you know what your niche is? Who is your ideal patient? Where do they go? Are there online forums they use, other health practitioners they see? Therapists are actually not ideal referral sources because you can't do therapy with their patients, and you will need 500+ patients to fill a med management practice but 50-100 patients to fill a psychotherapy + med management practice. It's not true at all that patients won't pay you for therapy, even if they can get it somewhere else for cheaper. If you are attracting the right patients, they are value conscious, not cost conscious.

What other health and wellness service providers does your niche see? Functional medicine docs, naturopaths, personal trainers, Ob/gyns, sports coaches, etc? You can network with all these people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Update #2
Income: $4,633.74
Expenses: $2433.87 (almost half of this is malpractice)
Net profit: 2,199.87

TL;DR: Started accepting insurance through Alma. Mixed results. Surprised by how hard it's been to acquire patients even after taking insurance.

7 month update, meant to post last month.

Logistics/equipment

Sticking with Charm despite their terrible customer service. Paid for the telehealth add-on, definitely think it's worth it compared to using the free doxy.me account.

Currently have two states medical license. Only
So I decided to go the insurance route for numerous reasons, not least of which is that I figured it would swiftly increase my patient panel. Surprisingly, that hasn't been the case.

Insurance Credentialing

I wasn't sure how to go about doing this so literally googled "[insurance name] + credentialing." Here's the outcome:

Aetna: my application has been in limbo since I started the process. I was told I'd get a response in 60 days. Well, contacted them 60 days later and they said they'd put a ticket in. Contacted them a week later and they said you have to wait 30 business days from when a ticket is put in to follow up (??). It's been 30 business days since then, called again, said they'd escalate. So literally haven't even had any potential rates offered from them.

Cigna: they sent me rates, very low ones (like 60% of Medicare). I tried negotiating but they were pretty firm saying that as a matter of policy, they don't offer anything different to anyone during the first year. I've since found that's not actually true. But at the time, I figured I'd accept one insurance and get an idea of pros/cons of working with an insurance panel. So I signed the contract. This was like in March. I got an email like 10 days ago officially saying I'm credentialed.

Optum: didn't try to credential with them after hearing horror stories

Anthem: sent me rates, really low ones. Tried negotiating but radio silence from them, not even a "No, we don't negotiate" like Cigna did. This was after Cigna so I didn't pursue it any further as I only wanted to try one insurance as a trial run.

Alma

Randomly learned about Alma through a consulting call I was doing with an investment firm. They were looking into investing in Cerebral and were getting a psychiatrist's perspective on it (this was before all the news coverage about it). I told them exactly what I thought about these telemedicine startups that utilize NP's and very clearly told them that I, along with most psychiatrists I knew, saw them as basically pill mills. Towards the end, one of the analysts asked me what I thought about companies like Headway and Alma. It was the first I'd heard of them so honestly told them as such. But then started Googling them afterwards and bookmarked it to look into further down the road. Well, when I started trying to credential with insurances, I remembered that conversation and decided to investigate further.

I contacted both Headway and Alma. Headway ignored me. Got a response back from Alma relatively quickly. Set up a zoom call. The rates they were offering with less than Medicare but higher than Cigna and Anthem were. They also promised a quick credentialing process. I was still hesitant so they threw in 6 months free (I think the monthly fee is around $100-$150 or something like that). I decided to take them up on it.

Overall, my experience has been mixed. The rates are lower than my cash rate but not by so much that I would immediately write Alma off. However, I was expecting my patient panel to explode once I started accepting insurance. That has not happened. I get about 1-2 new patients contacting me a week. Some of them have high deductible plans and change their mind when they realize they're going to have to pay more than a co-pay. I've been fully credentialed with Alma for 6 weeks and have gotten 9 requests out of which 4 have turned into regular patients.

Advertising
In terms of advertising/marketing, I've tried to take a few different avenues.

Psychology Today

I've maintained my PsychologyToday profile but at almost 9 months, I've gotten a grand total of 1 patient through there. I thought this would change once I updated my profile to reflect the fact that I took insurance but nope. I added two other California metro areas to my PsychologyToday profile but that also hasn't resulted in any increased interest.

Therapists

I made a list of 50 therapists who took Aetna (one of the insurances that Alma panels with) and sent them a brief message introducing myself and letting them know that I have availability within 7 days to see patients. Not one response, surprisingly.

Facebook
Joined some mental health professional groups on Facebook and when there's a post asking for a psychiatrist who takes one of the Alma insurances, I respond right away. Usually get a like or a "Thanks, I'll let my client know" response but nothing has resulted in an actually patient intake. Last week had two therapists ask if we could set up a phone call. Spoke to both of them. First one was hoping I could help with ketamine assisted psychotherapy. Seemed miffed when I politely declined. Second one was asking me questions about my practice style, seemed really happy to find out I don't prescribe benzos and that my follow up appointments are 30 minutes long instead of 15. Haven't gotten a referral from her yet but seemed to be a good professional relationship that's been created.

PCP
Tried contacting PCP's. Difficult thing is that many of them are affiliated with one big box shop or the other. I found three nearby that do concierge or small private practice. Two responded. One with a brief email, "Thanks, I'll send you some referrals." Short but sweet haha. The other wanted to set up a zoom meeting. Met with them (two physician practice). Think it went alright but their practice is relatively small (one of them let slip that his panel is 60 patients) so probably won't be getting an avalanche of referrals from there.

Word of Mouth
My private pay patients have grown from 2 to 3. One of my patients referred a medical school classmate of his to me. Tiny total number of private pay patients but it's a nice confidence boost to have a physician patient refer another physician to my practice.
----

Overall, it's going better than it was before, but considerably slower than I would have expected. I feel there's something big I'm missing or doing incorrectly. I don't have a problem with patient retention but just getting people to know I'm here and can see them (with insurance!) has been really tough. Not sure what the best way to rectify this is. I'm wondering if credentialing through Alma means I'm not listed on the normal insurance portals that people use to find a psychiatrist near them? When I've asked my patients how they've found me though, they say through their insurance (even though I got the referral through Alma's website). So I'm listed somewhere I guess.

I have 12 more months of fellowship before I go out into the real world. I was hoping to have filled at 10 hours/week by now but that hasn't happened. My program director sent an expert witness case my way that I've started working on so that's going to take up some of my time that I would have otherwise spent trying to grow the practice.

Some thoughts I have:

-Is it worth it to hire a credentialing company to negotiate and credential with insurance for me? If I can get rates superior to Medicare, that would obviate any need for Alma.
-for advertising, PCP's have had a much higher response rate than therapists. Maybe I need to switch my marketing/networking focus there instead.
-Medicare...is it worth it? My main concern with Medicare is if I do something wrong by mistake, there can be serious legal repercussions. The rates are great tbh, close to my cash rate. I think Medicare is requiring in-person visits at least once now though so I'd need to look into renting office space.

Is this the experience for others accepting insurance? Everything I've heard you fill pretty quickly..

Update #2
Income: $4,633.74
Expenses: $2433.87 (almost half of this is malpractice)
Net profit: 2,199.87

TL;DR: Started accepting insurance through Alma. Mixed results. Surprised by how hard it's been to acquire patients even after taking insurance.

7 month update, meant to post last month.

Logistics/equipment

Sticking with Charm despite their terrible customer service. Paid for the telehealth add-on, definitely think it's worth it compared to using the free doxy.me account.

Currently have two states medical license. Only
So I decided to go the insurance route for numerous reasons, not least of which is that I figured it would swiftly increase my patient panel. Surprisingly, that hasn't been the case.

Insurance Credentialing

I wasn't sure how to go about doing this so literally googled "[insurance name] + credentialing." Here's the outcome:

Aetna: my application has been in limbo since I started the process. I was told I'd get a response in 60 days. Well, contacted them 60 days later and they said they'd put a ticket in. Contacted them a week later and they said you have to wait 30 business days from when a ticket is put in to follow up (??). It's been 30 business days since then, called again, said they'd escalate. So literally haven't even had any potential rates offered from them.

Cigna: they sent me rates, very low ones (like 60% of Medicare). I tried negotiating but they were pretty firm saying that as a matter of policy, they don't offer anything different to anyone during the first year. I've since found that's not actually true. But at the time, I figured I'd accept one insurance and get an idea of pros/cons of working with an insurance panel. So I signed the contract. This was like in March. I got an email like 10 days ago officially saying I'm credentialed.

Optum: didn't try to credential with them after hearing horror stories

Anthem: sent me rates, really low ones. Tried negotiating but radio silence from them, not even a "No, we don't negotiate" like Cigna did. This was after Cigna so I didn't pursue it any further as I only wanted to try one insurance as a trial run.

Alma

Randomly learned about Alma through a consulting call I was doing with an investment firm. They were looking into investing in Cerebral and were getting a psychiatrist's perspective on it (this was before all the news coverage about it). I told them exactly what I thought about these telemedicine startups that utilize NP's and very clearly told them that I, along with most psychiatrists I knew, saw them as basically pill mills. Towards the end, one of the analysts asked me what I thought about companies like Headway and Alma. It was the first I'd heard of them so honestly told them as such. But then started Googling them afterwards and bookmarked it to look into further down the road. Well, when I started trying to credential with insurances, I remembered that conversation and decided to investigate further.

I contacted both Headway and Alma. Headway ignored me. Got a response back from Alma relatively quickly. Set up a zoom call. The rates they were offering with less than Medicare but higher than Cigna and Anthem were. They also promised a quick credentialing process. I was still hesitant so they threw in 6 months free (I think the monthly fee is around $100-$150 or something like that). I decided to take them up on it.

Overall, my experience has been mixed. The rates are lower than my cash rate but not by so much that I would immediately write Alma off. However, I was expecting my patient panel to explode once I started accepting insurance. That has not happened. I get about 1-2 new patients contacting me a week. Some of them have high deductible plans and change their mind when they realize they're going to have to pay more than a co-pay. I've been fully credentialed with Alma for 6 weeks and have gotten 9 requests out of which 4 have turned into regular patients.

Advertising
In terms of advertising/marketing, I've tried to take a few different avenues.

Psychology Today

I've maintained my PsychologyToday profile but at almost 9 months, I've gotten a grand total of 1 patient through there. I thought this would change once I updated my profile to reflect the fact that I took insurance but nope. I added two other California metro areas to my PsychologyToday profile but that also hasn't resulted in any increased interest.

Therapists

I made a list of 50 therapists who took Aetna (one of the insurances that Alma panels with) and sent them a brief message introducing myself and letting them know that I have availability within 7 days to see patients. Not one response, surprisingly.

Facebook
Joined some mental health professional groups on Facebook and when there's a post asking for a psychiatrist who takes one of the Alma insurances, I respond right away. Usually get a like or a "Thanks, I'll let my client know" response but nothing has resulted in an actually patient intake. Last week had two therapists ask if we could set up a phone call. Spoke to both of them. First one was hoping I could help with ketamine assisted psychotherapy. Seemed miffed when I politely declined. Second one was asking me questions about my practice style, seemed really happy to find out I don't prescribe benzos and that my follow up appointments are 30 minutes long instead of 15. Haven't gotten a referral from her yet but seemed to be a good professional relationship that's been created.

PCP
Tried contacting PCP's. Difficult thing is that many of them are affiliated with one big box shop or the other. I found three nearby that do concierge or small private practice. Two responded. One with a brief email, "Thanks, I'll send you some referrals." Short but sweet haha. The other wanted to set up a zoom meeting. Met with them (two physician practice). Think it went alright but their practice is relatively small (one of them let slip that his panel is 60 patients) so probably won't be getting an avalanche of referrals from there.

Word of Mouth
My private pay patients have grown from 2 to 3. One of my patients referred a medical school classmate of his to me. Tiny total number of private pay patients but it's a nice confidence boost to have a physician patient refer another physician to my practice.
----

Overall, it's going better than it was before, but considerably slower than I would have expected. I feel there's something big I'm missing or doing incorrectly. I don't have a problem with patient retention but just getting people to know I'm here and can see them (with insurance!) has been really tough. Not sure what the best way to rectify this is. I'm wondering if credentialing through Alma means I'm not listed on the normal insurance portals that people use to find a psychiatrist near them? When I've asked my patients how they've found me though, they say through their insurance (even though I got the referral through Alma's website). So I'm listed somewhere I guess.

I have 12 more months of fellowship before I go out into the real world. I was hoping to have filled at 10 hours/week by now but that hasn't happened. My program director sent an expert witness case my way that I've started working on so that's going to take up some of my time that I would have otherwise spent trying to grow the practice.

Some thoughts I have:

-Is it worth it to hire a credentialing company to negotiate and credential with insurance for me? If I can get rates superior to Medicare, that would obviate any need for Alma.
-for advertising, PCP's have had a much higher response rate than therapists. Maybe I need to switch my marketing/networking focus there instead.
-Medicare...is it worth it? My main concern with Medicare is if I do something wrong by mistake, there can be serious legal repercussions. The rates are great tbh, close to my cash rate. I think Medicare is requiring in-person visits at least once now though so I'd need to look into renting office space.
Have you done Google ads and SEO?

Do you show up as in network for the insurances you're on through Alma? That's usually why people fill quickly because they show up in the insurance company's physician look-up as in network. Since Alma has the contract and not you I wonder if you're not showing up for some reason... you should be if they credentialed you with the insurer but I'd take a look and verify just to be sure.

Is this the experience for others accepting insurance? Everything I've heard you fill pretty quickly..
As someone who went from a solo practice to a practice with myself, another psychiatrist and 10 therapists in 3 years. Option three is what allowed me to boom. Not all insurances are bad. Many insurance rates are not bad. A lot of patients do not have the means or at least are unwilling to pay for cash rates. And the ones they can afford, those moderate and up rates, end up pretty close to insurance rates anyways. Plus with insurance, unless they have a high deductible plan, many patients only need to pay a copay so longevity of the relationship is more favorable and most people do meet their deductible as the year progresses anyways. We actually do have a lot of leveraging power with negotiating our rates with insurance. It's good to know what is around insurance wise and get a good feel for what rates you can get. I never thought for psychologists that Medicaid actually pays quite well and Medicare pays reasonably too. Those two payers are huge drivers of profit into my office. I only see patients 1.5 days a week now (and don't even have to, I just have a soft spot for little old people) as the passive income is rolling in consistently. TMS is a great money maker too.

And if you are new in the community as a PP provider, it will take awhile for your name to get out. Also, getting on one insurance panel will not bring much traffic, at least over here. We're paneled with at least 15 payers. My first 1-1.5 years I would market, market, market. Psychology today, network with therapists and PCPs, etc. Cold contacts can be very hit or miss. Generally over time I have just stayed active in the mental health provider community and gotten to know other providers and my name stuck with them that way.

Last edited:
I think emailing clinicians is a waste of time. I automatically hit delete with emails. I won’t refer to someone that I’ve never met. If I refer someone and you are creepy, awkward, or rude, my reputation takes a hit. If people want my attention, they need to show up or schedule a time to briefly meet with me.