Tell me about your school's SVECCS chapter!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

turnbackhelly

Cornell CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

Would any of you guys mind taking a few minutes to tell me about what kinds of activities the SVECCS chapter at your school offers? What are some of the perks of being a member of your school's specific SVECCS chapter? Does your school's SVECCS chapter make an effort to send students to the IVECCS conference each year?

I ask because I'm really interested in ways to make my school's SVECCS chapter more active. It definitely has some really cool things to offer, but there's of course always room for improvement. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer! 🙂
 
Hi everyone!

Would any of you guys mind taking a few minutes to tell me about what kinds of activities the SVECCS chapter at your school offers? What are some of the perks of being a member of your school's specific SVECCS chapter? Does your school's SVECCS chapter make an effort to send students to the IVECCS conference each year?

I ask because I'm really interested in ways to make my school's SVECCS chapter more active. It definitely has some really cool things to offer, but there's of course always room for improvement. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer! 🙂

Ours is in charge of the Small Animal Critical Care elective, which I took and was pretty interesting. We had various doctors lecture about different types of emergencies, had to do 8 hours of observation at local emergency clinics with a check-off sheet and participate in a lab for the class where we learned to suture, practiced phlebotomy and catheter placement on models, played with EKG machines and pulse-oximeters, did PCVs and azo sticks. Because we had the class this semester, I don't think the club had any other lunch time meetings, and I'm not involved enough in that club to know anything about IVECCS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The big thing ours does is shadowing of a team in the emergency dept at the vmth. There are 4 hour blocks that are on nights and weekends that we can sign up for at the beginning of each term. It's really fun! I have been doing a few a quarter.

They also occasionally do rounds and they encourage attendance at IVECCS. I'd like to go, but it falls on sorta a bad day for me this fall. They have a symposium as well once per year, that should be a good time.
 
I was the fundraising chair of Ohio State's SVECCS chapter.

Our main activities were lectures and wetlabs. The lectures were usually given by E/CC faculty/house staff and involved typical emergency topics, like fluid therapy, CPR, GDV, etc. We also hosted a game of "Emergency Jeopardy" with prizes once a year.

The wetlabs were usually performed on cadaver dogs - we coordinated with the intro to surgery class and used the animals after they had practiced their techniques on the cadavers. We did an enucleation wetlab and a CPR wetlab that I can remember on cadavers and also did a bandaging wetlab on live animals volunteered by vet students (with reversible sedation after a physical by one of the ER vets). Admission for the wetlabs was preferentially given to paid members, then opened up to the general student body for a fee if any spots were left.

Most of our supplies for the wetlabs were either donated or bought with club funds. Fundraising consisted of mostly selling stuff (we had scrubs and first aid kits).

I hope that gives you some good ideas!
 
I was the fundraising chair of Ohio State's SVECCS chapter.

Our main activities were lectures and wetlabs. The lectures were usually given by E/CC faculty/house staff and involved typical emergency topics, like fluid therapy, CPR, GDV, etc. We also hosted a game of "Emergency Jeopardy" with prizes once a year.

The wetlabs were usually performed on cadaver dogs - we coordinated with the intro to surgery class and used the animals after they had practiced their techniques on the cadavers. We did an enucleation wetlab and a CPR wetlab that I can remember on cadavers and also did a bandaging wetlab on live animals volunteered by vet students (with reversible sedation after a physical by one of the ER vets). Admission for the wetlabs was preferentially given to paid members, then opened up to the general student body for a fee if any spots were left.

Most of our supplies for the wetlabs were either donated or bought with club funds. Fundraising consisted of mostly selling stuff (we had scrubs and first aid kits).

I hope that gives you some good ideas!

great ideas! thanks a lot for your input 🙂