Tell me about yourself question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swifty181

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off there should be a section in the forum for interviews alone.

I'm up for an interview soon and the question that has me worried the most is: Tell me about yourself. It seems this is the most constant question in any interview, and although it could be the simplest, I feel like it is the most important. What is a good way of going about answering this? What can you generally talk about. I mean you can't just say "I'm Bob, I'm 23 and I like drills, all sort of drills small, big powerful, fast, slow all that bla bla bla" Lol Sorry for the humor, I forget how many stuck up ppl read this stuff. Any answer is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm up for an interview soon and the question that has me worried the most is: Tell me about yourself. It seems this is the most constant question in any interview, and although it could be the simplest, I feel like it is the most important. What is a good way of going about answering this? What can you generally talk about. I mean you can't just say "I'm Bob, I'm 23 and I like drills, all sort of drills small, big powerful, fast, slow all that bla bla bla" Lol Sorry for the humor, I forget how many stuck up ppl read this stuff. Any answer is appreciated.

Where you were born/ethnicity, what your family does, if you have any siblings, what you like to do in your spare time, etc. I think with this type of question they don't want to hear pre-dental or dental information.

In my interviews thus far, I made it a point to avoid talking about dentistry specifically. Trust me, those questions soon follow (Why dentistry is usually Q#2). As said above, talk about where you grew up, your family, hobbies, and anything unique about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good stuff guys, thanks. I was thinking of kind of having that as an intro to why dentistry but I think you are right they will figure that out from the next questions if they haven't got it from my P.S. yet. Thanks.

I wouldn't guarantee that they will have read your personal statement. I have come to realize that it seems as if the personal statement is a formality, and my interviewers hadn't even read it. They might read it after an interview when they're trying to decide between a couple people.. My thoughts... although some have told me they never read it.

The "tell me about yourself question" gives YOU the opportunity to make an interview "platter." What ever you choose to put on that "platter" will typically decide how the interview will unfold. Choose some of the most significant things you would like to talk about throughout the interview and put them on the "platter." It's good to remember that the people inerviewing you are busy and are interviewing a lot of people, so it is your job to make the interview easy on them. Do not make them dig and dig, trying to get to know who you are. Throw it all out on the table in the very begining.

Examples:

Maybe talk about your trip to the school (if it was quite the adventure)
Mention where you are from and what you like to do (Stay casual)
Tell them about some of your goals that have changed throughout the years
What triggered your interest in dentistry (why you want to be a dentist in one or two words)
Mention your biggest challenges and what motivates you in your daily life

Don't forget to ask them questions throughout the interview so that they can talk about themselves! These are accomplished people who have great things to say. A good question is "What brings you to this dental college?' Ask them in a way that lets them know you are trying to figure out what is so great about the particular city and the dental college.

My admissions advisor at my school makes a big deal about this question:
Her main points are assume they know nothing about you, and then talk through the question chronologically to stay on track.
I grew up wherever, go to ___ university with a major in ____. I have been involved in ____. What you did during your summers, your interests and weave in your chronology of wanting to do dentistry.

yes, don't talk about dentistry. Talk about something that makes you unique. I talked about coming from an immigrant family.

Great stuff guys, thnx. I was under the impression that they all read your P.S. This has me a bit worried, because thats the best part of my application. I hope my top school gets to do that:xf:, especially since I'm on a late interview.

I agree that we should open an interview-only sub-forum.
When I was asked this, I gave basic background information, family history (brief past to current), and then a story about how I became interested in dentistry. I agree with others that I should have talked about my hobbies and significant events in my life that were unrelated to dentistry. I think you should selectively mention stories that you would like the interviewer to ask more about in order to make yourself sound more interesting and human than just a number attached with a name. What you listed in your extracurricular activities sound appropriate to elaborate on. You could get more creative and try to fit in your world-view and your ideals in life and how your experiences created those views.

Last edited:
I agree that we should open an interview-only sub-forum.
When I was asked this, I gave basic background information, family history (brief past to current), and then a story about how I became interested in dentistry. I agree with others that I should have talked about my hobbies and significant events in my life that were unrelated to dentistry. I think you should selectively mention stories that you would like the interviewer to ask more about in order to make yourself sound more interesting and human than just a number attached with a name. What you listed in your extracurricular activities sound appropriate to elaborate on. You could get more creative and try to fit in your world-view and your ideals in life and how your experiences created those views.

Don't say anything about your schooling/major etc. They already know that. Even if it's a close file interview they will know where you come from already...this is how it was at my penn interview. Make it somewhat of a story and tell them personal stuff outside of your academic life; don't just recite a list of things like this:

my name is 50 cent
was born in queens NY
I like to rap and make money

instead of using such a format you might want to tie all your things together into some sort of story. Emphasize specific details and tell how they affected your emotions.

My admissions advisor at my school makes a big deal about this question:
Her main points are assume they know nothing about you, and then talk through the question chronologically to stay on track.
I grew up wherever, go to ___ university with a major in ____. I have been involved in ____. What you did during your summers, your interests and weave in your chronology of wanting to do dentistry.

:thumbup: SOLID ADVICE. :thumbup:

Where you were born/ethnicity, what your family does, if you have any siblings, what you like to do in your spare time, etc. I think with this type of question they don't want to hear pre-dental or dental information.

Don't be pressured into talking about your family/background/etc. If that is something you want to include in your answer, do so by all means, but you don't have. I know some people are not comfortable going the family route, so I just wanted to make this clear in case one of those people is reading.

This question is very open-ended. You should talk about what's important to you even if it means including some dental aspect. There is no wrong answer. You can talk about some of your characteristics and back them up with examples. You can talk about experiences, what you like doing, what's important to you, etc. It's okay to mention your major (some people above stated that you shouldn't). The possibilities are endless. Just make sure you support your answers and don't say just say, "I am very hard working. I love eating ice cream." Don't leave the reader wondering why you are hardworking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't say anything about your schooling/major etc. They already know that. Even if it's a close file interview they will know where you come from already...this is how it was at my penn interview. Make it somewhat of a story and tell them personal stuff outside of your academic life; don't just recite a list of things like this:

my name is 50 cent
was born in queens NY
I like to rap and make money

instead of using such a format you might want to tie all your things together into some sort of story. Emphasize specific details and tell how they affected your emotions.
haha... your list is funny...

If you didn't want to become a Dentist, what would you want to be?

If you patient could speak english, what would you do?

I'm sorry but I don't agree that you shouldn't mention dentistry. My interviewer hadn't even seen my application so it was good to give him an overview of who I am and what I am passionate about. I personally started with my family and how I became independent, then transitioned into my current life and how I've developed passion for the dental field.

I really think you should just go with what you honestly like to do and what you think are some major events that shaped the person you are today.

I personally think that people over think interview questions, and I just realized the easiest thing for me was just to relax and answer questions honestly. Some people think this is a "wrong" answer, but no one here is on an admissions committee and can tell you how to tell your own story.

Also if it means anything the interviewer said he really liked my response, after I answered it the way I did.

Good luck!!

I disagree with all of the above. It's a free opportunity to showcase your strengths. Get that MBA interview book.

Ok. What I'm getting from this is that is basically up to you as an interviewee to mention anything about yourself that you feel is relevant to give them an idea of your personality. I personally won't talk about anything academic related but I might end with a story about how I got interested in dentistry if I feel they haven't read my P.S. Thats my opinion but if you are reading this and you want to go another direction thats fine.

Notamember82, what MBA book are you referring to?

Can't recall the exact title just search amazon for "MBA interview" and you'll likely find it. It's pretty good. I really would never want to waste an opportunity like someone asking you to tell them about yourself to discuss your birthplace.

i'd just say

"Hi, my name is __________....and I like to dance"---and then proceed to play a song on my iphone and dance.

i'd just say

"Hi, my name is __________....and I like to dance"---and then proceed to play a song on my iphone and dance.

:laugh: I love it when people bring in humor to SDN, we are too serious here, let's brighten up the mood with some laughter! :laugh:

Here are some awesome dental jokes to brighten your day!

What did the dentist see at the north pole?
- A molar bear

What did the dentist say to the computer?...This won't hurt a byte

What does the dentist of the year get?...A little plaque

What does a dentist do on a roller coaster?...He braces himself

I have many more, I can keep em coming if you want....

Can't recall the exact title just search amazon for "MBA interview" and you'll likely find it. It's pretty good. I really would never want to waste an opportunity like someone asking you to tell them about yourself to discuss your birthplace.

Ok, thanks, I might just look for it.

i'd just say

LMFAO Definitely doing that ahaha

:laugh: I love it when people bring in humor to SDN, we are too serious here, let's brighten up the mood with some laughter! :laugh:

Here are some awesome dental jokes to brighten your day!

What did the dentist see at the north pole?
- A molar bear

What did the dentist say to the computer?...This won't hurt a byte

What does the dentist of the year get?...A little plaque

What does a dentist do on a roller coaster?...He braces himself

I have many more, I can keep em coming if you want....

Haha You should start a Dentist Jokes thread. Trust me it'll be a hit lol