Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

"Tell me about yourself" response?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by vtman03, Mar 7, 2007.

1. vtman03

vtman03 New Member

I have read that the school I am interviewing for may ask me........."TELL me about yourself".........I have no clue what I am supposed to respond? DO i talk about personal interests, hobbies, etc? Or do I talk about stuff taht relates to school or pharmacy? Any suggestions????

2. Zeke1955

Zeke1955 Texas Tech Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    There's a good thread for this already, lots of responses.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=374452

My response from that thread:

When Texas Tech asked me this earlier this month, the question was worded by the interviewer as follows: "So <insert name>, please take a few minutes and tell us about yourself, about your hobbies interests, maybe what pushed you towards pharmacy?"

And I answered with telling them my full name, where I currently went to school. Then in order to make my answer less dull and a little more unique, I stated a personal motto I live by.

Then, I went on to say where I was born, lived, grew up, and along with that explained where my interest in science began and how it grew into an interest in pharmacy (and I didn't at any point give the cliche "I want to help people" nonsense, I gave them legitimate and honest reasons). I emphasized that I had had a wide variety of jobs (mostly retail) and some community involvement activities that allowed me to develop a number of skills that were salient to the pharmacy practice.

All in all, I probably took about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes to answer this question and was sure to always look squarely into the eyes of the interviewers (of course). I was also concerned about giving them what might seem like a preconceived answer if I elaborated too much on my interest in pharmacy or community involvement activities. However, the interviewer did ask me to mention it somewhat, so I did. I hope this helps.