Tell me about yourself

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IllinoisStudent

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you answer this question? It is so open ended. What would you guys talk about - education, research, personal traits/characteristics, strengths, weaknesses, family background....?

Or would it be better to ask the interviewer to elaborate on the question?

Members don't see this ad.

tell em what in your life has led you to pursue the career you are about to enter.

IllinoisStudent said:
How do you answer this question? It is so open ended. What would you guys talk about - education, research, personal traits/characteristics, strengths, weaknesses, family background....?

Or would it be better to ask the interviewer to elaborate on the question?

I would begin by telling a little about family background and how this influenced decision to go into medicine. or tell about how you chose your college and the choice in a major. i would not ask the interviewer to elaborate on the question, i would just try to tell the interviewer a few of the major factors that have influenced my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
christvida said:
I would begin by telling a little about family background and how this influenzed decision to go into medicine. or tell about how you chose your college and the choice in a major. i would not ask the interviewer to elaborate on the question, i would just try to tell the interviewer a few of the major factors that have influenced my life.

I've gotten this question in nearly every interview I've been to, and I've responded by telling them a little about myself in different areas, including family, hobbies, undergrad, choice of major, what led me to be a doctor, etc....make it brief but comprehensive....

However, don't confuse the question with "why do you want to be a doctor?" If they were asking that question, they would have asked it that way. This is just my two cents.

I usually just start talking about school, my family, what I do for fun, where I live, etc.. Every time that I have been asked this question, the interviewer ends up interrupting me when he hears something interesting. In most cases, you won't have to talk for very long about yourself. :)

Here's my reply to that question:

"I'd love to. Where would you like me to begin?"

It's worked every time.

"I was born."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

abraxas20 said:
"I was born."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"I was born during the long cold winter of 1978-the year of the horse. I was an unwanted child...my parents were hoping for a son to help them farm the acres of potato our family had lived on for generations, so I had come as a bitter disappointment to them. From an early age, I learned that if I wanted to have any security in life, I would have to make myself useful... By squatting down and rapidly harvesting potatoes with my digging stick-I proved to them that a girl can farm potatoes as well as any man! I had shown myself and my family that I could be a succesful potato farmer, but yet there was still something missing in my life. Then one day on our monthly excursion in town, I fell off the back of our family truck and landed in front of the local doctor's office. One of the nurses happened to be out front and invited me in-of course my family hadn't noticed I'd fallen off the wagon and so I decided "what the hay" and went into the office. The country doctor bandaged my cuts and bruises and treated me with more respect and kindness than I had ever been shown within the potato profession... I came to the sudden epiphany that potato farming just wasn't for me anymore. Thus began my journey towards a life-changing decision- from potato farmer...to premedical student. "

I would say something like this. :laugh:

The details of my life are quite inconsequential.... very well, where do i begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

-Dr. Evil

It was a dark and stormy night. The navy was in town and my mom was real wasted...

Just kidding. I also recommend putting the ball back in their court by asking "where would you like me to begin?" Then give a brief description of your life and what you think is important, then let them stop you to elaborate on what they want to hear.

be yourself, say what you think are the most important things a person should know about YOU, and say something that makes you sound interesting, because i'm sure you are!!

-s

rockstar2525 said:
I also recommend putting the ball back in their court by asking "where would you like me to begin?"

Yes, seriously, that is a good idea. Unfortunately I tried it and they smacked me in the forehead with their return "anywhere you like"--uhhh...I was born on a cold winter day in the flatlands of Iowa... :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
i start out talking about how much i can bench because i'm a bodybuilder. that scares the **** out of them usually and let's me take charge for the rest of the interview. :p

constructor said:
i start out talking about how much i can bench because i'm a bodybuilder. that scares the **** out of them usually and let's me take charge for the rest of the interview. :p

haha, i love it. :thumbup:

I like to start my life story right before conception. It is a bit awkward but once I get to my 3rd suicide attempt it all starts to make sense.

christvida said:
I would begin by telling a little about family background and how this influenzed decision to go into medicine. or tell about how you chose your college and the choice in a major. i would not ask the interviewer to elaborate on the question, i would just try to tell the interviewer a few of the major factors that have influenced my life.

I agree with christvida. Pick some hightlights about you that make you interesting and unique and that give the interviewer something to build on.

ive answered this question differently every single time ive been asked. dont know why i did that...but at least collectively i hit upon most of the highlights and lowlights in my life.

constructor said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jlee9531 said:
ive answered this question differently every single time ive been asked. dont know why i did that...but at least collectively i hit upon most of the highlights and lowlights in my life.

thats b/c you're not a boring premed clone

it's an easy question if you're not a waste

peterockduke said:
thats b/c you're not a boring premed clone

it's an easy question if you're not a waste

Talk about boring and repetetive. Your undying sarcasism and relentless negativity and cutting down of others...

it gets really boring, talk about a waste...can't you use your wit for something a little more creative? I'm being serious here. You are boring the crap out of me :sleep:

yposhelley said:
"I was born during the long cold winter of 1978-the year of the horse. I was an unwanted child...my parents were hoping for a son to help them farm the acres of potato our family had lived on for generations, so I had come as a bitter disappointment to them. From an early age, I learned that if I wanted to have any security in life, I would have to make myself useful... By squatting down and rapidly harvesting potatoes with my digging stick-I proved to them that a girl can farm potatoes as well as any man! I had shown myself and my family that I could be a succesful potato farmer, but yet there was still something missing in my life. Then one day on our monthly excursion in town, I fell off the back of our family truck and landed in front of the local doctor's office. One of the nurses happened to be out front and invited me in-of course my family hadn't noticed I'd fallen off the wagon and so I decided "what the hay" and went into the office. The country doctor bandaged my cuts and bruises and treated me with more respect and kindness than I had ever been shown within the potato profession... I came to the sudden epiphany that potato farming just wasn't for me anymore. Thus began my journey towards a life-changing decision- from potato farmer...to premedical student. "

I would say something like this. :laugh:

Haha! This is great! Very well written, now we know yposhelley's life story :laugh: