Tell me if I am on the right track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcpark12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I am a 24 years old Texas resident who graduate college in 2017. I have applied to MD/DO schools last cycle (2017) and didn't receive any invitations (I did get bunch of secondaries from DO, but didn't get neither). I wanted to get some advice from you guys if i am taking a right path to medical school.

MCATs:
I have taken 2 MCATs so far one being 497 (2015) and second one being 500 (2016). They aren't great scores, but I am studying for one right now to take it on September 1st with a determined mind so we shall see it will be different from previous scores. I am hoping to get >515.

Research Experience:
I did a inorganic chemistry research for my school for a semester, and got to present our research in National American Chemical Society meeting.

GPA:
cGPA - 3.41
sGPA - 3.22

I have poor freshman and sophomore year due to financial problems in my family. It got so severe that I had to take a year off teaching English to support my family between my sophomore and junior year.

Having return back to the college, I drastically improved my GPA and was on 3 deans lists out of 4 semesters during Junior and Senior year.

Clinical Experience:
During my Senior year (2017), I worked:
As a Bereavement Assistant at a Hospice (part-time) for 6 months (480 hrs) where I sent bereavement letters and helped organizing patient data. While working, I volunteered (~18 hours) for a camp for children and family who lost their member of the family.

Also, worked as an emergency department scribe (part-time) for 6 months (480 hrs) while enrolled as a full-time student all during my senior year.

Post-graduation, I worked (2017-2018):
As a emergency department scribe (part-time) for 6 months (480 hrs), and
as an ophthalmic technician (full-time) for 6 months (~1000 hrs).

Post-bacc (2018):
I will be attending University of Northern Colorado - MBS program this fall in order to further increase my science GPA.

Rec letters and references:
I have strong recommendation letters from my professors, and a ophthalmic surgeon who I worked for.

So the question that I have is that, I am thinking about applying to DO (~ 8 schools) schools this cycle (2018) with my new MCAT score (which I will take on September 1st), then if I would be able to achieve >515 MCAT, I would like to apply to MD schools next cycle (2019). Is that a too ambitious or do you guys think it will be possible? Please let me know where to strengthen my application so I can achieve my dream of becoming a physician one day. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is to probably shoot for a 508+ on your MCAT and shoot for a 3.7+ in your Master’s program. Are you taking courses with the medical students at your program? Also, I would focus more on DO schools and throw some MDs in there to try your luck.

All the best!

Your best bet is to probably shoot for a 508+ on your MCAT and shoot for a 3.7+ in your Master’s program. Are you taking courses with the medical students at your program? Also, I would focus more on DO schools and throw some MDs in there to try your luck.

All the best!

It is going to be an year long biology intensive program. I don't think there will by any medical students, but I am considering this program to increase my GPA to be a little bit more competitive. My major was biochemistry, and while my chemistry grades was great; however, my biology grade was bad. I was thinking by doing a biology intensive program I could show medical schools that I can do this. And, yes I was thinking if I could get 508+ MCAT on the next one I will pursue DO, but anything beyond 515+ I was going to take another gap year, and pursue MD instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is going to be an year long biology intensive program. I don't think there will by any medical students, but I am considering this program to increase my GPA to be a little bit more competitive. My major was biochemistry, and while my chemistry grades was great; however, my biology grade was bad. I was thinking by doing a biology intensive program I could show medical schools that I can do this. And, yes I was thinking if I could get 508+ MCAT on the next one I will pursue DO, but anything beyond 515+ I was going to take another gap year, and pursue MD instead.

I did an SMP and can tell you that even with a 515+ a 3.4/3.2 it will be a dice roll with MD schools. This is just a fact. Also, a program like yours is NOT showing your ability to handle MEDICAL school courses in particular. Regardless, everyone takes a different path to get to their goals and I wish you the best of luck @dcpark12

Reactions: 1 user
You could receive interviews at these DO schools with your stats so apply to all of them:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
UIWSOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
Apply no later than August and submit your secondaries as soon as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
If you apply to DO schools this cycle, and then actually receive greater than a 515 on your MCAT, will you forgo any DO acceptances to try MD next cycle? Just something you should think about now so you don't post sometime next year about how you applied DO just to test the waters like other SDN posters and that you have cold feet about whether to try the MD cycle lol