Tell me if I'm thinking straight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

redbullnhockey

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After reading thread after thread after thread on this website (BTW, this site has been SO helpful!), I just want to get some opinions on my possible plan of action to achieve my med school goals.

First off, a little about me:

-December 2012 grad from Washington State University, BA in Social Science (psych and soc concentrations)
-cGPA: 3.11
-No MCAT (see below)
-Directionless 4 years of undergrad studies.
-Working for 5 years in ophthalmology (I freakin' LOVE it)

I did about the last half of my degree online due to my job , so I never had the opportunity to make those connections with professors or get in on any research opportunities, clubs, etc. I felt pretty invisible and had no hope for anything. My family kept pushing for me to get done, so I did just that. I finished. I always wanted to do research and get involved, but financially, I couldn't do it. I had to work full-time and skip out on it. Then my father died toward the end of degree and it just sucked the life out of me.

I'm not trying to blame my craptastic academic past all on those things because, lets face it, we all have control of our own situations. Apparently, I was just ill-equipped to do so, probably too immature, and had no confidence.

I also tried two science classes as an undergrad (bio and chem) and blew them out my butt. Unintentionally, but I did and I regret it. So, essentially, I have no science under my belt. Hence, no MCAT.

Here's my plan. Please let me know what you think and be honest! I need some help with all this and I'm hoping I'm getting the gist of this whole thing.

  • Take all undergrad sciences (bio, chem, physics, micro) and ace the crap out of them.
Should I take these at a community college or go for the University of Washington (my guess is UW?)​

  • Get to know my professors/do some research.

  • Get more volunteering under my belt.

  • Apply for SMP somewhere.
Or should I do a structured postbac premed program for those with no science background?​

  • Finish SMP and go for med school

Ideally, I would love to be MD (ophthalmology or internal med), but it seems like everyone with a lackluster past seems to aim for DO (to be honest, I prefer MD vs DO)? I'm prepared to do just about anything for this. I'm in a much better place life-wise and have an amazingly supportive fiance who is 100% behind me (this support has done wonders for me). Or am I delusional?

Thoughts? Criticisms? Ideas? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
You sound like you know what to do. You're in a better position than many others on this forum. You must take all the pre-reqs. Consult the websites of the schools you're looking at to determine what you need to take. If you truly have NO science then you're looking at a 8 hours Gen Chem, 8 hours Org Chem, 8 hours Bio, and 8 hours Physics. If you make A's in all those classes and do well on the MCAT, then you won't even need an SMP. Just be sure to fill out your ECs and get good reqs. Go to a 4 year University, not CC. Some schools don't even accept CC credit.
 
Thank you!

Another question, though. Since I need to go back to complete so much, should I just try for another Bachelors and go for bio or chem? Would it be worth it or just a waste? Would it strengthen my application?

Edit: Nevermind, I feel like this is a bad plan. haha
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IMO do a structured postbac for those with no science background. do well on it, get a good mcat, and I'd think you have a decent shot (certainly at DO). you can still do opthalmology as a do so no worries there
 
Definitely postbacc, another BS would take too much time and grant you no other benefit. Just make sure that you absolutely NAIL these classes. It's critical you 4.0 them with your current GPA. It's definitely possible, but it is hard work.

Then you nail the MCAT (there's plenty of great info on that in the Pre-Med forum), apply early, apply broadly, and fill out your ECs, and you shouldn't have any trouble getting in somewhere. Best of luck.